Sign in to follow this  
aussievintage

What do they call this type of headshell?

I want to hunt around and get a spare headshell for this Yamaha P-17 turntable.  Just couldn't recall the what they call this type of headshell.  It has multiple pins and a screw on the side of the arm to secure it.

DSC_0253.jpg.a17038ed793ec0caac76cefb6a03c372.jpg

Your Yamaha headshell is not an "SME" headshell, which was in the previous post's ebay link. 

I'm not sure if there is a specific name for your headshell.  Generically, it would be called a "straight tonearm headshell", compatible with Yamaha P-17 (and other turntables). 

A search of the LP Gear website should be able to identify a replacement, with the side screw.  https://www.lpgear.com/category/HEADSHELLS.html

The headshell in this model uses a VM type cartridge 

Here are some diagrams to help you 

I am fairly sure that the lock screw on the side is a seperate component to the headshell 

213AA8AB-BAE3-4FC8-9430-1EF5E7E85EE8.jpeg

54B9BBDA-DD69-4DDB-BF96-9EB5B2943C60.jpeg

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Your Yamaha headshell is not an "SME" headshell, which was in the previous post's ebay link. 

That's right, it's quite different.

I'm not sure if there is a specific name for your headshell.  Generically, it would be called a "straight tonearm headshell", compatible with Yamaha P-17 (and other turntables). 

Yes,  and I was a little concerned that if I bought a generic one for straight arms, it might be different - different pin arrangement etc.  So that limited me to one for Yamaha P-17s

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

I am fairly sure that the lock screw on the side is a seperate component to the headshell 

I expect so.  I don't need to buy one unless I lose it.

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

The headshell in this model uses a VM type cartridge 

Not sure what that means.  VM?   It actually can take any standard 1/2 inch mount cartridge.

straight tonearm headshell

Good suggestion.   Searching around I found this  https://www.turntableneedles.com/Straight-Tonearm-Headshell-for-Many-Japanese-Turntables_p_785.html     so this suggests they are fairly standard.   Time to order one to find out I think.

37 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Good suggestion.   Searching around I found this  https://www.turntableneedles.com/Straight-Tonearm-Headshell-for-Many-Japanese-Turntables_p_785.html     so this suggests they are fairly standard.   Time to order one to find out I think.

Just be careful about the distance from the end of the headshell to the mounting screws.  It appears - purely based on the pics (and I might be wrong) that the distance from the mount screws to the back of the headshell on your tt is less compared to the distance from the back of the headshell to the back of the mont-scew slots in the headshell pictured in the above link.  You might have trouble getting correct cart alignment with this one. 

Double-check before you buy, you might be able to get one that is a better match to what you have. 

And always double-check the pin configuration matches your tonearm!

Edited by audiofeline

48 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Just be careful about the distance from the end of the headshell to the mounting screws.  It appears - purely based on the pics (and I might be wrong) that the distance from the mount screws to the back of the headshell on your tt is less compared to the distance from the back of the headshell to the back of the mont-scew slots.  You might have trouble getting correct cart alignment with this one. 

I'll do some measuring.  This one is shorter, so I can get it if I need to.

https://www.turntableneedles.com/LMH-1-Headshell-for-ADC-Compatible-Straight-Tonearms_p_4344.html

I’m also looking for my Yammy PF 800. Same headshell I think?

Found a link to some a few weeks back but can’t for the life of me find it again.

8 hours ago, Fenda said:

but the plastic screw is on the top not on the side like the Yamaha, maybe ask them if it will fit 

I read that  "Special note: even though this shell has a flat spot on the top, it will indeed work just fine in the few JVC and Yamaha models that have a side mount set screw."  here  https://www.turntableneedles.com/LMH-1-Headshell-for-ADC-Compatible-Straight-Tonearms_p_4344.html

Okay no worries, I didn't notice the link before I posted 

Most of the last few posts look spot-on. There are 3 main lengths for straight arm headshells.  Short , Med ( most common ) & long. We have these 3 in the showroom , but in Auckland , New Zealand sadly. 

Aussie vintage are you going to be putting another Cart on the spare Headshell ?  If so which ?  

F.A.B.

12 minutes ago, AAE said:

Aussie vintage are you going to be putting another Cart on the spare Headshell ?  If so which ?  

A little undecided on which.  There is an AT3600 with upgrade elliptical stylus on their at the moment.  I have spare a AT95 and some great Shure oldies like M75 M91 M95.   Whichever I choose, at this stage will have an elliptical stylus with the option to upgrade. 

This is a secondary turntable for use when I am not just sitting and listening.  Being full automatic, it means I can leave the room and not have to rush back and lift the stylus at the end.  It also is easier for my wife to use.

5 hours ago, aussievintage said:

It also is easier for my wife to use.

Wife? Wife touching the HiFi!! OMG, whats going on there Aussie?

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

Wife? Wife touching the HiFi!! OMG, whats going on there Aussie?

Doncha know it means I get to spend more if she uses it too  :)

Same reason I taught her to like Scotch :) 

OK, the generic straight arm headshell arrived.  Not without it's problems.  It was a VERY tight fit and removing it left the socket insert behind it the end of the arm.   I successfully extracted that, and looking at the design, I could see it had a flange to prevent it pushing up into the headshell, and that was fractionally bigger than the size of the headshell where it inserts into the arm.  I ground it down a fraction, plus a dot of superglue to prevent it coming out again, now I can insert and remove the headshell without problems, and it is just a firm snug fit.

As I aligned the cartridge, I realised the slightly longer version of the headshell would have been OK, as the cartridge really would not move forward enough to align properly in this short one.  However,  angling the cart slightly also works and brought it into proper alignment.  Listening to some woodwind quintets on it now

DSC_0272.jpg.eeb8d4998e345d93a91161756a04f3e7.jpg