Sign in to follow this  
crtexcnndrm99

Thread + weight anti skate HELP :(

OK novice hour here... I’ve installed a new cartridge (DL301MKII) and tonearm as well. With these new aspects introduced at once, however, I’m having difficulty with setup.

a8a105e491fcef137d1948fd8eab7fc8.jpg

The infuriating little bugger:

09bd048f66635edc1f18bc11a5f8ee0a.jpg

The main issue: distortion in the left channel and mis tracking issues where the noice will repeat.

My gut feeling is this has to do with the anti skate on this Audiomods arm. This is the first time with the thread + weight style device and I can’t seem to work it out... meanwhile blood pressure continues to rise!!

There doesn’t seem to be tutorials on working this anti skate device in the level of detail (I.e. video) needed to wrap my head around this (my guess is it’s assumed knowledge) - this has added to the frustration.

Some insight would be much appreciated.

Cheers

C

Assuming you balanced the arm and set tracking prior to installing the anti-skate?

I assume you have read the manual for the arm as the line for the anti skate weight runs in the grove of the quadrant. as you have it secured under the screw.

Anti skate.PNG

Assuming you balanced the arm and set tracking prior to installing the anti-skate?

Correct, and with some moving if the anti skate arm back and forth I don’t appear to be having tracking issues only the distortion. How does one set an anti skate device like this?

As above.

I assume you have read the manual for the arm as the line for the anti skate weight runs in the grove of the quadrant. as you have it secured under the screw.
1410631124_Antiskate.PNG.8352c20315bf5fc229ed7846b6850515.PNG

Thank you, and I think I have an older version with a less detailed diagram, that makes the mechanism clearer.

I suppose the distortion could be cartridge misalignment?

It is not quite clear to me in the photo but it seems you have the wire for the weight attached to the screw. What I seem to work out is the wire should go through the copper/brass loop at the end of that half moon and it should be able to move freely according to the position you set that half moon. Currently It doesn't appear to accomplish the function is meant to as appears locked or stuck on the screw. 

How did you align the cartridge and what weight are you running at, is there a chance that the the way you have the anti skate currently is causing the issue, fix the anti skate first as per the instructions, check the tracking weight and alignment. The quadrant has two positions and I would suggest you start on the inner hole for the low force range and change as desired.

I think the wire in the antiskate is not running through the groove as per instructions.

As I stated in my post.

Have you sorted this out yet ?.

Thanks for the tips and following up, really appreciate it as this is driving me up the wall.

You were correct about the fishing line... from the manual I had gathered that the line is meant to run over the inside curved surface of the quadrant (which didn’t seem to make sense at all) - i has no idea about the groove around the outside.

Fixing that, and adjusting the quadrant at many different angles across both inner and outer hole mounts, the left distortion persisted as if I hadn’t done anything. Concerning my I haven’t seen any evidence that the antiskate force is present.. the arm doesn’t move left or right when balance or with correct VTF.

Online I’ve found suggestions that pressure on the tonearm cable exiting the plinth below could put pressure on the arm. I will try some blocks under the TT feet to test this. Also mentioned was checking the tonearm is firmly affixed to the plinth and not unstable. Worth a shot.

Hoping I can fix this before I do too much damage to this brand new cart. Ugh!

Maybe the paper printout protractor won’t cut it and I should take this to a dealer to align... installing a new cartridge on an arm I’d never used before either was a bit ambitious

Thanks again fellas for your input

C

Can you post a photo of the exist point for the cable on the bottom of the arm, normally the cable is fixed at that point, Did you assemble the arm your self or did you buy it assembled, is there drag on the arm due to to much bearing preload as this would cause the issue you are have and if this is the case it will need adjustment.

How did you measure your tracking weight as the arm provides no calibrated adjustment, did you use a set of scales.

39 minutes ago, vwo60 said:

How did you measure your tracking weight as the arm provides no calibrated adjustment, did you use a set of scales.

I would suggest that the weight calibration on an arm is inaccurate!  Everyone who plays vinyl needs a VTF guage - and by that I don't mean the (PoS!) Shure balance-style weight guage!

Andy

Okay, so the arm was bought s/h assembled, though was the kit version presumably assembled by the previous owner. Needing a re-wire and being in the dark about the date of the bearings, I sent it to Audio Origami in Glasgow for an excellent re-wire and service.

For VTF I have el cheapo eBay digital scales. (See pic)

With block underneath the cable isn’t being forcibly held in one direction. Can’t hurt.

Reset VTF for the pic and had a play - no different default_sad.png

ae04bb6c8c20139f32aae4641925c2e0.jpg9c275280488d78465e02577b23a0832c.jpgfa0a61e91b82264a01e95efcb2b10959.jpg1ddc167002272d8840d6c816dbb052d6.jpg

If you balance the arm to float with no anti skate on, how free is the vertical bearings.

As in whether I feel much resistance when touching the arm when set to float? It feels smooth to me, dare I say possibly different from when I first installed.. are you thinking the bearing may have tightened from all the pressure applied adjusting the anti skate device on it?

When you have the arm balanced and floating with no anti skate, can you gently blow on it and will it move, it will have to be absolutely level, I know it is crude but will give you an idea if there is any resistance, I cannot say if it has been tightened but realistically I don't think your handling of the arm has caused any issues, but but it is worth checking, PS, make sure the arm lifter is not contacting the arm when it is lowered onto the record.

That seems alright, as for the stylus cover My micro Benz does not have one at all and when I change it all care is taken, I do not have another suggestion as I can see no other reason other than the alignment. I have a SME V and use this type of alignment tool but this is one for Rega arms, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Avid-Mirrored-Phono-Cartridge-Alignment-Tool-For-Rega/293087294674?epid=1264477940&hash=item443d5d34d2:g:258AAOSw--pdQIox I note with my alignment it is very obvious if there is any error in the alignment.

Awesome, thanks for your assistance. I was looking at a few similar but might go with that one based on your recommendation. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the paper printout protractor is the perpetrator here. Ah it’ll be a few sorry weeks without proper source waiting on the protractor ha