Sign in to follow this  
Donkez

Turntable to receiver distance

Looking at buying a Rega planar 6 with Aria cart..with the Rega Aria phono stage.(pretty much done deal)

My question is, Will 15-16ft be too far from receiver to phono stage? Or will I lose to much quality?

Advice would be great. Thank you

22 minutes ago, Donkez said:

Looking at buying a Rega planar 6 with Aria cart..with the Rega Aria phono stage.(pretty much done deal)

My question is, Will 15-16ft be too far from receiver to phono stage? Or will I lose to much quality?

Advice would be great. Thank you

I suggest that, as you are using a receiver (AV receiver? ... AM/FM receiver?), you won't notice any difference - as distinct from if you had a dedicated preamp.

15-16 ft is not a problem from a phono stage to the next component - provided:

• the Aria is right next to the RP6 (so the cable from the arm to the Aria is 1m, max).
  • the Aria has a good output section.  (I don't know the Aria - but some, opamp-based phono stages aren't able to satisfactorily drive long cables.)
  • you use a low-capacitance interconnect.

Andy

That is a very long run for a line level signal. Even with very good cables you will lose a lot of dynamics and the sound will be much duller than if you have a run of 3Ft which is probably a good average. If I were you I would look into trying to have all the components closer.

10 hours ago, andyr said:

I suggest that, as you are using a receiver (AV receiver? ... AM/FM receiver?), you won't notice any difference - as distinct from if you had a dedicated preamp.

15-16 ft is not a problem from a phono stage to the next component - provided:

• the Aria is right next to the RP6 (so the cable from the arm to the Aria is 1m, max).
  • the Aria has a good output section.  (I don't know the Aria - but some, opamp-based phono stages aren't able to satisfactorily drive long cables.)
  • you use a low-capacitance interconnect.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

The receiver is a Yamaha cx-a5000 paired with mx-a5000.

the Aria amp will be very close to turntable, it’s the other 15ft I’m worried about. 

8 hours ago, Uglu said:

That is a very long run for a line level signal. Even with very good cables you will lose a lot of dynamics and the sound will be much duller than if you have a run of 3Ft which is probably a good average. If I were you I would look into trying to have all the components closer.

Thanks Uglu,

Only way I could get it closer to receiver would be a wall mount.

then it would be approx 8ft.

it would look out of place though!

I understand, you need to compromise one way or the other but seriously, try  and compare. In such distance I am convinced you will certainly notice a big degradation no matter what equipment or cables you use. 

12 minutes ago, Uglu said:

I understand, you need to compromise one way or the other but seriously, try  and compare. In such distance I am convinced you will certainly notice a big degradation no matter what equipment or cables you use. 

Yes, the best way is to compare both lengths if you have doubt.