Anybody heard/tried Burchadt audio speakers ?

How noticeably will this Burchadt's unusually deep tweeter waveguide affect dispersion ?

If we compared it to the same tweeter driver mounted on a simple, flat baffle:

1.  If you measure with REW 30 degrees off-axis in typical 6x5m room, will it look very different ?

2.  If you paced 1 to 2m around the LP, would you hear a 'night & day' difference in HF ?

6 hours ago, marten said:

How noticeably will this Burchadt's unusually deep tweeter waveguide affect dispersion ?

If we compared it to the same tweeter driver mounted on a simple, flat baffle:

1.  If you measure with REW 30 degrees off-axis in typical 6x5m room, will it look very different ?

2.  If you paced 1 to 2m around the LP, would you hear a 'night & day' difference in HF ?

The whole point of the waveguide is to affect dispersion. That's what makes the S400 somewhat different from most consumer speakers (although not pro ones).

A two way speaker on a flat baffle will usually exhibit a narrowing of dispersion just before the crossover, then a bloom when the tweeter kicks in.

Like the attached chart I stole from Red Spade Audio (who you should use).

The sonic effect is a dip then a peak off axis, usually right in the sweetspot where the ear is most sensitive.

By controlling dispersion with a waveguide the intent is to have consistent dispersion over as much of the range as possible. As shown in the S400 chart.

So your REW measurement 30 degrees off axis should be much closer to the on axis response than a flat baffle.

Likewise moving around the listening position should result in less change.

The thinking is that whatever the power response of the speaker should be consistent both on axis and off.

A waveguide doesn't narrow dispersion, it narrows dispersion irregularities.

directivity-diagram.jpg

s400.png

Edited by sfdoddsy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

By controlling dispersion with a waveguide the intent is to have consistent dispersion over as much of the range as possible. As shown in the S400 chart.

13 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

A waveguide doesn't narrow dispersion, it narrows dispersion irregularities.

Thanks doddsy, for shedding some light and illustrating how the dispersion profile is smoothed.  Still wondering about a couple of things, but don't want to hijack the focus away from the Buchardts here so I'll shut up and create a new thread about tweeter waveguides in the Room Acoustics sub-forum to pursue more enlightenment.

Edited by marten
changed target forum to room acoustics

I've not heard the S400 but, based on the design and measurements, these look like a great starting point for a WAF-friendly speaker with good off-axis performance. (The alternatives seem to be pro-audio monitors with their black plastic look, much more expensive DSP controlled options like Kii3  or larger waveguides like my Unity Horns.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the S400 and they sound amazing. Filled the stands with sand so the Bass dosen't sound distorted. I keep them about 18" from the wall. Very impressed that I ordered the S400 Signature Series with the Jantzen crossovers. Cant wait to compare the two. These speakers blow away my Golden Ear Tritons. Mads B. is on top of his game and has put out a truly excellent speaker. I don't think that people will be disappointed.

• Like 2