Sign in to follow this  
Gijo1977

Loading for Shelter 9000

Hey SNA,

Does anyone have any experience with suitable loading for a Shelter 9000? What would I expect the sound to be like if I am too high/low?

I am running through a Brinkmann Fein, which is 600ohm on the two MC settings, so hopefully I can parallel load it to find the correct loading for the Shelter?

Any help with the value to try, and any help in calculating the relevant resistor value for the plugs would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Dan

no expert on this but a couple of reviews, both said 100 ohms, other posts i have read suggest that people are not getting the most out of their cartridges because they stick to the recommended settings and should be experimenting with loading factors

9 hours ago, Gijo1977 said:

Hey SNA,

Does anyone have any experience with suitable loading for a Shelter 9000? What would I expect the sound to be like if I am too high/low?

I am running through a Brinkmann Fein, which is 600ohm on the two MC settings, so hopefully I can parallel load it to find the correct loading for the Shelter?

Any help with the value to try, and any help in calculating the relevant resistor value for the plugs would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Dan

Specs say coil impedance of the Shelter 9000 is 10 ohms - hence the suggestion for 100 ohm loading (10x coil impedance).  However, I would suggest the optimum loading could be as high as 1K ohms (100x coil loading).

So even if the Brinkmann Fein only offers 600 ohms ... it may well be in the right ballpark for the Shelter 9000.  :)

If 600 is the only loading you have - then you can go down  from this by using parallel load resistors ... but not up!  :(

The equation which gives you the result is this:  1/Rcombined  = 1/Rphono stage + 1/Rparallel

Happy loading!  :)

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Happy loading!  :)

Andy

Sexual innuendo....ban Him....:P

Tase...

@scuzzii.......John's running some Shelter/Brinkman gear methinks...

Edited by Tasebass

I'm running my 9000 through a step-up into an MM input. Sounds much better with the loading at around 20 Ohms. Into the MC stage, it was good at around 100 Ohms and got a little too bright for me above that.

Here's a calculator for parallel resistors:

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/parallel-resistance-calculator/

3 hours ago, Doppelganger said:

I'm running my 9000 through a step-up into an MM input. Sounds much better with the loading at around 20 Ohms.

If you are giving the 9000 a load of 20 ohms ... as you are using a SUT to feed an MM phono stage, you must be using a 1:48 SUT?

(As the load shown to the cart when using a SUT is the MM phono stage's default loading - typically 47K - divided by the square of the turns ratio.

IE. 47000 / (48 x 48)  = 20.)

Or have you reduced your default phono stage Zin by putting a resistor across the outputs of the SUT (so in parallel with 47K Zin)?

Andy

21 minutes ago, andyr said:

If you are giving the 9000 a load of 20 ohms ... as you are using a SUT to feed an MM phono stage, you must be using a 1:48 SUT?

(As the load shown to the cart when using a SUT is the MM phono stage's default loading - typically 47K - divided by the square of the turns ratio.

IE. 47000 / (48 x 48)  = 20.)

Or have you reduced your default phono stage Zin by putting a resistor across the outputs of the SUT (so in parallel with 47K Zin)?

Andy

I’ve got parallel load resistors at the phono stage input.

1 hour ago, Doppelganger said:

I’ve got parallel load resistors at the phono stage input.

Aah, OK, D!  :thumb:  (parallel at the input of the phono stage = parallel at the output of the SUT.  :) )

But the result is ... your 9000 sees 20 ohms?

Andy

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

Aah, OK, D!  :thumb:  (parallel at the input of the phono stage = parallel at the output of the SUT.  :) )

But the result is ... your 9000 sees 20 ohms?

Andy

Yes, I realise it is the same thing as parallel loading on the SUT outputs. I chose to load at the phono stage inputs as one of SUTs I rotate in the chain has fixed output cables rather than rca terminals.

Correct, the cart is seeing 20 Ohms.

4 minutes ago, Doppelganger said:

Yes, I realise it is the same thing as parallel loading on the SUT outputs. I chose to load at the phono stage inputs as one of SUTs I rotate in the chain has fixed output cables rather than rca terminals.

Correct, the cart is seeing 20 Ohms.

Thanks, D.  :thumb:

Andy