Sign in to follow this  
catman

Does anybody still use record cleaning cloths?

G'day all. I was just thinking of years ago when those 'soft/antistatic record cleaning cloths', were a part of every record collector and player.  These days carbon fibre brushes seem to have replaced them, but I can see them as useful and probably 'better' than the ubiquitous carbon fibre brushes in some respects!  Any comments?  Regards, Felix.

For sure Felix. I just used last nite to clean the tiny dust stuck in the groove on one of the used records I bought, it is in mint condition but when I heard the pop I know exactly what to do...cloth is best to clean it and brushes can't especially old used records.

They should not be used in any circumstances. A vile product of the early years of LP vinyl records that contained silicon  as an anti static agent.

19 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

For sure Felix. I just used last nite to clean the tiny dust stuck in the groove on one of the used records I bought, it is in mint condition but when I heard the pop I know exactly what to do...cloth is best to clean it and brushes can't especially old used records.

You seem to be conflating two separate issues, dwb.

Cleaning a dirty record - ie. getting the gunk out of the grooves - you do with a wet/vac machine or an US tank.

Brushing surface dust off - before each 'play' - you do with a CF brush.  Sure, in the 'old days', you might've used a cloth but - as I'm sure Barry is correct - the resulting silicon smear is not a good idea!  :(

Andy

Guest Muon N'

I used to use a piece of velvet I selected with suitable depth for the fibres to fill the grooves, but gave it up for proper cleaning in combination with an antistatic brush.

I'm with Van, and  not use something that has silicon embedded in it.

I have thought a brush lifts the dirt from the grooves. Whereas a cloth pushes it around the record and doesn't do a good job of lifting the dirt from the grooves and doesn't remove it very well from the record.  But I admit that it is a very (very) long time since i've used a cloth. 

28 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I have thought a brush lifts the dirt from the grooves.

Whereasthink a (CF) brush can only remove surface dust.  :)

It would be nice if someone has bothered to take pics of the grooves - before and after a wipe with a CF brush.

Andy

You seem to be conflating two separate issues, dwb.

Cleaning a dirty record - ie. getting the gunk out of the grooves - you do with a wet/vac machine or an US tank.

Brushing surface dust off - before each 'play' - you do with a CF brush.  Sure, in the 'old days', you might've used a cloth but - as I'm sure Barry is correct - the resulting silicon smear is not a good idea!  [emoji20]

Andy

Most of the times I use US and vacuum but if there is one spot has a dust (whatever that is) got stuck I use the cloth as that's the easier way to get rid of it. I don't use cloth to clean the whole recording of course.
I use what it works best with what I have at that time.

G'day all, yep my sentiments exactly dwbasement  Regards, Felix.