Sign in to follow this  
Minoan

DAC for 2.0

Hi,

I want to watch UHD movies through my stereo setup.

TV to be connected to the DAC via Toslink.

Is the Topping D30 good enough for this? Any other budget recommendations will be apreciated.

Cheers.

Yep, it's perfect for that.

4 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Yep, it's perfect for that.

Are you sure this DAC can down convert multi channel into 2 channel. Usually you need a AV processor to do this task. 

Just now, Sime said:

Are you sure this DAC can down convert multi channel into 2 channel. Usually you need a AV processor to do this task. 

He didn't say anything about downmixing? He just said tv, stereo, and toslink.

Typically UHD movies don’t come with a 2 channel soundtrack. 

Unless the tv can down convert……………………

Edited by Sime

3 hours ago, Sime said:

Typically UHD movies don’t come with a 2 channel soundtrack. 

Unless the tv can down convert……………………

Most will convert to pcm,  via the toshlink out in the audio settings...standard stuff.

Thanks for the replies. It has been a great help and much appreciated.

I have just ordered a Topping D30 and should arrive by next Tuesday.

Thanks for the replies. It has been a great help and much appreciated.

I have just ordered a Topping D30 and should arrive by next Tuesday.

I don't know how you plan to set this up, but I would try to hook up the Topping to your UHD player if you can, and just set the settings in your player to Stereo.

Running it via your TV wouldn't be my first option, unless you use your TV as UHD player.

On 13/09/2019 at 8:09 PM, Primare Knob said:

I don't know how you plan to set this up, but I would try to hook up the Topping to your UHD player if you can, and just set the settings in your player to Stereo.

Running it via your TV wouldn't be my first option, unless you use your TV as UHD player.

I received the DAC about a week and a half ago.

I have it set up via a toslink cable from my TV, then onto my Marantz PM8005 and Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers.

This is my first DAC and I'm really impressed with the sound quality considering its price. It's not bright or shrill. Bass extension is good. Neutral sounding in my opinion. Watching movies or music clips on on YouTube is in no way fatiguing to my ears, even at high volume.

Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage to connecting the DAC directly to the UHD player? Sound quality?

Topping.jpg

I received the DAC about a week and a half ago.

I have it set up via a toslink cable from my TV, then onto my Marantz PM8005 and Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers.

This is my first DAC and I'm really impressed with the sound quality considering its price. It's not bright or shrill. Bass extension is good. Neutral sounding in my opinion. Watching movies or music clips on on YouTube is in no way fatiguing to my ears, even at high volume.

Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage to connecting the DAC directly to the UHD player? Sound quality?
Topping.jpg.88694b44edc2b1b2104dba691fbe9050.jpg
Anything related to sound on a TV is very low on the list of interest for TV manufacturers. So they will never use good parts.

There is a chance that your TV will not accept an LPCM signal to begin with, but only Dolby Digital, and if it does accept LPCM, there is a fair chance it will convert the signal to an AC3/ Dolby Digital lossy signal via Toslink.

Long story short, you don't have any control over the quality of the signal and how it is being treated.

On 15/09/2019 at 9:26 AM, Primare Knob said:

There is a chance that your TV will not accept an LPCM signal to begin with

Seems like you misunderstand what he did

Edited by davewantsmoore

13 hours ago, Minoan said:

Yes.   If you connect your DAC between your UHD player and amplifier  (rather than connecting the analogue outputs of the UHD player directly to the amplifier) .... then you might get better sound quality.    

Seems like you misunderstand what he did

Not sure what I am missing?

Player HDMI TV Toslink DAC

Edit: Except, since it is working the DAC must receive a PCM signal, as it can't handle AC/Dolby.

3 hours ago, Primare Knob said:

Not sure what I am missing?

Player HDMI TV Toslink DAC

Edit: Except, since it is working the DAC must receive a PCM signal, as it can't handle AC/Dolby.

The DAC works as intended. It's that easy.

Even a spaz like me can work it out.