Sign in to follow this  
Hifiplus

Banana plugs

Just looking for recommendations on banana plugs,

based on my experience I would prefer insulated and not using tiny grub screws.

Any ideas?

Guest Muon N'

The ETI ones would be great, can't go wrong with those.

If budget doesn't stretch that far look at the BFA Multi contact types, solder on and insulate with heat shrink. You can get them from RS and discard the plastic housing and insulate with heat shrink, or find a reliable seller that has them without the housing.

F0444927-01.jpg.33da9e8a9c3569973aa49c808a9c2d92.jpg578927679_Multicontact.jpg.c960607d7051a29e1aba2f3fee69226f.jpg

7 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

The ETI ones would be great, can't go wrong with those.

If budget doesn't stretch that far look at the BFA Multi contact types, solder on and insulate with heat shrink. You can get them from RS and discard the plastic housing and insulate with heat shrink, or find a reliable seller that has them without the housing.

F0444927-01.jpg.33da9e8a9c3569973aa49c808a9c2d92.jpg578927679_Multicontact.jpg.c960607d7051a29e1aba2f3fee69226f.jpg

^^^ these Multi-Contact BPs are without doubt really excellent BPs for a reasonable price.

The alloy used makes them springy - so they expand against the inside of the banana socket for the whole length of the cylinders.  And their length gives a great contact area.

Andy

2 hours ago, Hifiplus said:

Just looking for recommendations on banana plugs,

based on my experience I would prefer insulated and not using tiny grub screws.

Any ideas?

screws are ok,

but these are solder:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-DELTRON-4mm-BANANA-PLUGS-Silver-Large-Solder-Bucket-Cable-Entry-579-Series/292285272600?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I would get these if I wanted to solder.

These are the ones i'm planning to get:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/173920180943

@Hifiplus   these are the ones i use now from Selby, they will post, push them in and tighten the knurled knob, very secure, two screws to accept the speaker cable

1567077849201563677884.jpg

21 hours ago, andyr said:

^^^ these Multi-Contact BPs are without doubt really excellent BPs for a reasonable price.

The alloy used makes them springy - so they expand against the inside of the banana socket for the whole length of the cylinders.  And their length gives a great contact area.

Andy

+1  Multi-contacts are not the best for the money - they are just the best - full stop. Easy to terminate, perfect materials, very strong, excellent contact. All other gimmicky wannabe audiophile BS just fades in comparison to them. 

11 minutes ago, Decky said:

+1  Multi-contacts are not the best for the money - they are just the best - full stop. Easy to terminate, perfect materials, very strong, excellent contact. All other gimmicky wannabe audiophile BS just fades in comparison to them. 

+1 on the above and they are made from beryllium copper not brass so that’s another plus.:thumb:  Last time I bought them from RS Components a few years ago they were about $3.50 each.

Edited by Steve M

Thanks for all the replies

@decky - do you have a link to them?

regards,

Andrew

Yeah, I switched from the regular (?) springy type banana plugs to the above multi-contact style because the regular ones didn't seem to have such a great fit in my amp.  They fitted better and cut down on a bit of noise due to the obvious less than optimal connection.  Although I spent more because I didn't have a soldering iron and got some AudioQuest ones.

50 minutes ago, andyr said:

A tip... the green plastic bodied model is the cheapest of the lot, so if a prospective purchaser is looking to use the beryllium copper banana plug only and is going to bin the plastic outer body, grab these instead!

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/banana-plugs-connectors/2817018/

1 hour ago, pete_mac said:

A tip... the green plastic bodied model is the cheapest of the lot, so if a prospective purchaser is looking to use the beryllium copper banana plug only and is going to bin the plastic outer body, grab these instead!

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/banana-plugs-connectors/2817018/

Aah, cool - thanks!  :thumb:

Andy