TOPPING D50S DAC $200USD on Drop

The new D50S is now only USD200 on Drop (formerly massdrop), usually $250. 

Have just ordered myself one. Including shipping it's USD208 which is around AUD310 delivered.  Have been looking out for a DAC with remote that can double as a digital preamp as well so am looking forward to it. I believe you will need to source your own wall wart with this unit.

"The much-anticipated sequel to the popular Topping D50 DAC is here. The Topping D50s brings users improved sound quality with a wider array of connectivity options. Outfitted with dual ESS ES9038Q2M DACs with excellent THD+N levels, high accuracy, and impressive leading dynamic range, the D50s improves sound across all frequencies and volumes. It also does away with the “ESS IMD hump:” a slight rise in intermodulation distortion (IMD) that sometimes occurs when ESS DACs are played at mid levels. Added Bluetooth connectivity allows users to stream from phones or other Bluetooth-enabled devices, while the onboard XU208 USB interface enables improved support for DSD native. Connect in more ways with inputs for USB, coaxial, and optical, as well as support for Android, Windows, iOS, and Mac OS X."

• Like 1

Goodaye

Not wanting to rain on your parade but.

https://www.amazon.com.au/TOPPING-ES9038Q2M-DSD512-768KHz-Decoder/dp/B07BQTFWW1/ref=asc_df_B07BQTFWW1/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341743286100&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15658720853892380879&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9071300&hvtargid=pla-569045086968&psc=1

Got mine here the next day, price would be within a few dollars.

Opps, did the conversion and its cheaper.

And l love my D50.

regards Bruce

Edited by sloper
more stuff

5 minutes ago, sloper said:

Goodaye

Not wanting to rain on your parade but.

https://www.amazon.com.au/TOPPING-ES9038Q2M-DSD512-768KHz-Decoder/dp/B07BQTFWW1/ref=asc_df_B07BQTFWW1/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341743286100&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15658720853892380879&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9071300&hvtargid=pla-569045086968&psc=1

Got mine here the next day, price would be within a few dollars.

Opps, did the conversion and its cheaper.

And l love my D50.

regards Bruce

that's the old model, though

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2019 at 5:25 PM, benny said:

Stupid question - i have had a Cambridge audio Dacmagic plus for quite some time - how does the D50s compare, has anyone got info?

Hi mate.  I recently did a comparison (this is just on my system mind you, so everyone’s experience may differ), and we found the Dacmagic to be, well, far from magical.  We even found the little and really cheap Shiit Mani to sound loads better.  I’d recommend trying a bunch of DAC’s in your price range over that one....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Hi mate.  I recently did a comparison (this is just on my system mind you, so everyone’s experience may differ), and we found the Dacmagic to be, well, far from magical.  We even found the little and really cheap Shiit Mani to sound loads better.  I’d recommend trying a bunch of DAC’s in your price range over that one....

I dont really have a price range per se. Had the dac magic for probably 4+ years (guessing).. just wondering if its time to look for an upgrade?

3 hours ago, benny said:

I dont really have a price range per se. Had the dac magic for probably 4+ years (guessing).. just wondering if its time to look for an upgrade?

I’d be inclined to have a look at Clay’s dac’s (Gieseler DAC’s).  I’ll post a comparo when I get a chance, but his are great!

• Like 5

Just ordered one. I was set on getting the D50s anyway - a small saving was incentive enough to set the wheels in motion. 

I imagine that once Drop applies the relevant tax the saving vs just ordering it via Ebay will be minimal (AUD$307.5+$30.75 vs AUD$405) but whatever. ETAs seem about the same, so I imagine it's all coming from the same run.

Anyway, it's going to be a great way to smarten up my PM8006. The real question is - was silver the correct decision, or should I have ordered black? ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, ASG said:

Drop is over is the price still $200 USD or did they up is as they did for the D70 recently?

Can't remember what it was in USD exactly but that sounds about right. 

Haven't received mine yet. Tracking doesn't work either. No clue where in the world it is at this moment. I understand this isn't out of the ordinary for Drop, however. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, benny said:

My tracking says it left China two weeks ago. It’s driving me nuts, how does a plane take so long? Lol

It's funny, after checking the tracking link in the email with no joy, I finally logged in to the website to check it there and found that, like yours, mine was despatched around 2 weeks ago.

The fact that there's no information since doesn't surprise me too much - as a former postie I can tell you that small items out of China rarely get scanned on this end unless they're registered mail, and even then not always. I think it may have something to do with whether AusPost is actually paid to scan them, although I can't confirm that. It was basically a case of "you scan these, and these, and these, but don't bother with those".

Edited by twofires
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, twofires said:

It's funny, after checking the tracking link in the email with no joy, I finally logged in to the website to check it there and found that, like yours, mine was despatched around 2 weeks ago.

The fact that there's no information since doesn't surprise me too much - as a former postie I can tell you that small items out of China rarely get scanned on this end unless they're registered mail, and even then not always. I think it may have something to do with whether AusPost is actually paid to scan them, although I can't confirm that. It was basically a case of "you scan these, and these, and these, but don't bother with those".

yeah - still pretty damn slow.

I didnt even bother using drop's tracking, just use 17track and auspost.

Keep us updated with when yours arrives!

Ben

• Like 1

11 hours ago, benny said:

Mine just landed and is awaiting customs clearance.

What psu should I use for it?

Hmm mine was dispatched from China 23 Sept, with no end in sight.

I'll be using a meanwell SMPS to start with and go from there. Some discussion in the thread below.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I reckon I'd sooner pay the extra ~$50 to avoid waiting over 2 months for delivery

In retrospect, I'm inclined to agree with you. Alas, I fell victim to the siren call of SWEET DEALZ.