Turntable Buying Decision To Make....

Hi All,

I have the option to purchase the following tables.

Pioneer PL-570 or Thorens TD126MK3

Issues, the Pioneer needs new veneer and the Thorens needs a Tonearm. Both also require cart / stylus. Price, the Pioneer two green ones & the Thorens double that.

Any help would be much appreciated to help me decide which would be worth to invest or look else where?

I like both but if the Pioneer needs the veneer you'll either spend a lot and may not end up right or you'll never fix it and use it looking daggy for years.

If the Thorens is right you'll still need to consider several hundreds for most acceptable arms. Both need the cartridge so that's not something I would take into consideration. Probably the Thorens is my choice in this case.

• Like 2

Gotta be Thorens. Look they just go so good with Sansui and truly a lovely simple machine.[emoji3]

TT.thumb.jpeg.7eccac3519b233f7fe63b214c01750aa.jpeg

Second bottom far left shelf there's a free spot for one more Sansui [emoji38]

I love pictures like this, it just makes me happy that I'm not the only one that has problems [emoji44][emoji38]

Nice collection

Thanks @Sansui77 must admit you helped inspire it. But no spare spaces really a few others been spruced up in the shed. Its just so addictive this 

brand, every time i buy another unit i swear to my wife its the last. She just rolls her eyes.  

Cheers

Mark

Amps.jpeg

• Like 2

I inspired you, how? Was it from starting the Sansui HiFi forum [emoji44] sorry.....

Btw, don't blame me for running out of room [emoji3] I'm in the same boat as yourself [emoji2955]

• Like 1

The question of i/cs in a d/d deck are a red herring. They should last indefinitely. There are some Japanese d/ds that use a magnetic tape, if that goes you've had it. If buying a vintage d/d always replace the electrolytics and check out the lubricant for the bearing assembly. Technics have pots that need to be lubricated. Replacing all the electrolytic caps in a Kenwood KD series deck is around £4 per deck. A good d/d will play at accurate speeds and some have variable speed control.

On 02/09/2019 at 9:09 PM, Southerly said:

The question of i/cs in a d/d deck are a red herring. They should last indefinitely.

You are lucky if you never had a special IC fail and had to find a replacement.  A couple I had to chase down were an oscillator for a Kawaii organ (same note in all octaves not working ), and a power amp chip for a Technics integrated amp (I think I got the last one left). 

On 06/09/2019 at 12:48 PM, aussievintage said:

You are lucky if you never had a special IC fail and had to find a replacement.  A couple I had to chase down were an oscillator for a Kawaii organ (same note in all octaves not working ), and a power amp chip for a Technics integrated amp (I think I got the last one left). 

My comment was specific to t/ts. The Kenwood draws only 25W - a power amp chip and an organ oscillator are not comparable are they?