Thank god I stopped being an audiophile..!

14 hours ago, Stump said:

audiophile
/ˈɔːdɪə(ʊ)fʌɪl/
noun
informal
noun: audiophile; plural noun: audiophiles
  1. a hi-fi enthusiast.
    "it puts professional studio sound within the reach of the audiophile"

Yes.B|

I am very well aware of the dictionary meaning of the word, however there are so many individual interpretations of that the term that its contextual meaning has become obfuscated to the point where thread likes this emerge. ( BTW, I do find this thread interesting and entertaining ) and so far it has remained civil,which is also nice.

Edited by rantan

Guest jakeyb77
39 minutes ago, Sime said:

If one has stopped being an audiophile, then why doe one persist on this site?

You ever been a smoker and had a conversation with someone that gave up? 

20 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

I won't. That's what insurance companies are there for.

Good luck with that! Make sure you read the FINE print and have the clauses checked by a Lawyer..

Stump

P.S Are you paying 2% of your HIFI itemized value in yearly premiums??

21 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

I just like chasing the dragon and the empty wallet.

in all seriousness, a bit of room treatment and my listening room is done for me.

the lounge room is another story. ?

AF7DFA58-46FB-4467-9A4E-3E7B128CD3F0.jpeg

6C140D13-57AD-460D-9953-979BC3D4CC48.jpeg

Do you bi-wire those treadmills?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

I think we are comparing Audiophiles with Audiofools, the Audiophile loves music and using a common sense approach improves his/her system to reach an acceptable to them level of fidelity.

The Audiofool spends ever increasing amounts of money, believes every way out sales pitch, doesn't really know what he wants, where he's going or how he's going to get there.

Best definition yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jakeyb77 said:

You ever been a smoker and had a conversation with someone that gave up? 

I see your point, but your analogy isn’t correct. 

1 hour ago, Sime said:

If one has stopped being an audiophile, then why doe one persist on this site?

Hi my names joz , I’m an audiophile!

”hi joz”

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Guest Muon N'
3 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

I think we are comparing Audiophiles with Audiofools, the Audiophile loves music and using a common sense approach improves his/her system to reach an acceptable to them level of fidelity.

The Audiofool spends ever increasing amounts of money, believes every way out sales pitch, doesn't really know what he wants, where he's going or how he's going to get there.

Why use such a put down term when referring to another person in this hobby?

Is it satisfying a deeper need?

Guest jakeyb77
24 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Is it satisfying a deeper need?

It’s the sort of mentality that leads to keying nice cars..... 

2 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

It’s the sort of mentality that leads to keying nice cars..... 

If you resort to that sort of thing there is another name for you.

2 hours ago, Muon N' said:

And you don't agree that someone who spends copious amounts of money on hair brained stuff that doesn't improve their system is not a fool? What would you call them?

Edited by HypnoToad
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, rantan said:

They really do have a great reputation.

However I am unable to decipher what this has to do with the title of the thread.

Because deep down he is still an audiophile. He's not listening to a transistor radio.

And aren't his speakers, active speakers in his non-audiophile setup? So l was commentating on ative speakers. Unless they are not. Then l apologise. 

And maybe l don't take this site as serious as some people do. And let's face it everybody goes off topic. But in my case, only slightly. 

• Haha 1

Guest Muon N'
30 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

And you don't agree that someone who spends copious amounts of money on hair brained stuff that doesn't improve their system is not a fool? What would you call them?

I wouldn't resort to abusing them by using derogatory terms.

If someone wants to do something that has no negative impact of others, or themselves really (apart from that perceived by others), I'm OK with that.

Edited by Muon N'
typo, forgot an s

16 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

It’s not a personal attack. It’s a representation of previous Emotiva product reviews and also Tech opinions. Open the lid and have a look sometime. 

I’m glad your products have been an exception. 

** BTW three of my amps are on tech benches right now. None of us are immune 

I purchased an Emotiva CD player last year. After a lot of negative reviews l nearly didn't. But my local HiFi shop l have frequented for many years and whose judgement l trust implicitly suggested l just have a listen. I did, and l was blown away by the sound. I had to listen to players around the 3k Mark to hear a better sound. This player was $700. In 15 months it hasn't missed a beat. And sounded better after run in.  And anyway it has a 5 year warranty. Goes very well with the rest of my recently new setup.

Apologies for going slightly off topic.

5 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I wouldn't resort to abusing them by using derogatory terms.

If I was calling a particular person a fool, you may have a point, but I was merely pointing out the foolishness of someone who does this.

20 hours ago, needlerunner said:

A good freind of mine, who has sold hifi for many years and has owned many a great setup himself has told me that the Kii Audio 3 active speakers are the best speakers he has ever heard. Even better than the ATC speakers he currently owns.

I have not heard them myself, and probably don't want to at 22k+ ,cos l would want them. But his recommendations is good enough for me.

Just goes to show that times are a changing.

I’d be interested to know what atc speakers your mate uses.

Guest Muon N'
Just now, HypnoToad said:

If I was calling a particular person a fool, you may have a point, but I was merely pointing out the foolishness of someone who does this.

That is the perception you have of them, is all.

So why call people audiofools? What does it achieve, and what do you gain from it?

Guest jakeyb77
7 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

I purchased an Emotiva CD player last year. After a lot of negative reviews l nearly didn't. But my local HiFi shop l have frequented for many years and whose judgement l trust implicitly suggested l just have a listen. I did, and l was blown away by the sound. I had to listen to players around the 3k Mark to hear a better sound. This player was $700. In 15 months it hasn't missed a beat. And sounded better after run in.  And anyway it has a 5 year warranty. Goes very well with the rest of my recently new setup.

Apologies for going slightly off topic.

They still make CD players?!? 

Well you learn something new everyday 

8 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

That took ages to find, it was located as a sub heading under Hipster....

?

Love the banter on these sites. Brilliant. Even more funny when certain people construe said comments as being serious, and reply accordingly. Something l have seen a lot of late.

Guest Simonon
Love the banter on these sites. Brilliant. Even more funny when certain people construe said comments as being serious, and reply accordingly. Something l have seen a lot of late.
Maybe we could call this " Audiophile sensitivity syndrome" or Ass for short [emoji3]
All get togethers at my place will now be called AA meetings or Audiophiles anonymous. We will however be consuming alcohol which is the best way to improve SQ when performing equipment comparisons.

Guest jakeyb77
5 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Unfortunately. Keeps me broke.

But l like it when the needle first makes contact with that silver shiny disc bit thingy. 

If you go broke buying a $700 player then that’s a bigger issue. Can’t you just buy more money? 

20 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

But l like it when the needle first makes contact with that silver shiny disc bit thingy. 

This is a mixed metaphor .

How can a stylus ( "needle ") make contact with a "silver shiny disc"?  I would venture a guess that this would be detrimental to both the needle and the shiny silver disc.

As a non audiophile I prefer to pay my black ( vinyl ) discs with a cart and stylus and my silver discs with a CD player, but since I am not an audiophile, I probably don't know schit.:hyper:

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
2 minutes ago, rantan said:

This is a mixed metaphor .

How can a stylus ( "needle ") make contact with a "silver shiny disc"?  I would venture a guess that this would be detrimental to both the needle and the shiny silver disc.

As a non audiophile I prefer to pay my black ( vinyl ) discs with a cart and stylus and my silver discs with a CD player, but since I am not an audiophile, I probably don't know schit.:hyper:

Stop wasting feed on the weeds mate ?

You know the saying, they’ll beat you down to their level and beat you with experience 

Edited by jakeyb77

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

So why call people audiofools? What does it achieve, and what do you gain from it?

This is ridiculous, you need to get over it, you are taking it way too seriously, it was tongue in cheek anyway.

Do you look at the logo for Carlton Audio Visual and take offense at that?

• Love 1