Sign in to follow this  
migasson

Thank god I stopped being an audiophile..!

Posted (edited)

I’m a recovering audiophile😂 the best thing ever did, was stop being one. When I look back at the money I’ve spent because I was continually disatisfied, it makes my eyes water. Then I discovered studio monitors, and I was done. My setup is now Focal Alpha 65’s with a Yamaha WXC-50 streaming preamp. Maximum inputs, streaming, and a speaker that goes clean down to 40hz. Bass and treble controls on the back, mean I can tune the sound to the room. (Audiophiles will say “oh no, you can’t have those it upsets the purity of the sound. Bollocks😂) Bear in mind, I’m in a near field situation. 

I turfed all my records, record player, Stax gear, etc. 

Files I use? AAC off Apple Music. Only costs me $11 a month. Tidal? Once you drop the audiophilia, it’s quite liberating for your mind, and your wallet. My system comes in at $1299 AUD and my OCD has disappeared 😂😂

Yes, that’s a Nintendo Switch. And an IKEA cabinet. That cost me $139 (cheaper then a hifi shelf😂) and the Focals sit on $8 Bunnings decking isolation pads😉

C4DD0525-36E6-4E58-97EE-EC9F16F7FD09.jpeg

Edited by migasson
Details

Seeing what some Audiophile addicts sell to upgrade and the money they lose, is astounding. My ex brother in law in the 70's spent several thousand on a B&O system, it was a lot of money back then. He said he would never sell it and probably still has it today, he got a CD player added when they came out. But he used to say add up all the money over the years that an Audiophile might spend upgrading and it will probably be a lot less than what he spent.

Include me as a recovering Audiophile addict.  I stopped chasing dacs 2, preamps, and source gear years ago, as it was futile.   My only recent addiction comes in the form of digital room correction and minidsp unit and learning the effects of an untreated room, and how this plays havoc with our speakers.  To me, this is a much bigger problem to solve and its limitations is one that i will have to live with.  Far more beneficial for me to spend my limited time on rather than roll my hard earn continuously into new hardware...

Most vagabonds I knowed don't ever want to find the culprit
That remains the object of their long relentless quest
The obsession's in the chasing and not the apprehending
The pursuit you see and never the arrest

Tom Waites

I reached a point with my last system upgrades . . . from denon receiver to emotiva pre-amp and a Cambridge audio streamer . . . . that i am completely happy with my system . .  .. except for the dodgy plate amp in my sub . . .  .i dont see me doing any more upgrades/changes unless something goes bank and starts creating smoke

The hunt is always better than the catch.

12 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

The hunt is always better than the catch.

Which is what gives rise to the audiophile merry-go-round. But believe it or not, for some people (myself included) it's all about the music.

The engineer in me does like to make improvements once in a while, but I'm not into polishing meaningless asymptotes. I rather experiment with room layout and treatment, and that is just as capable of keeping me occupied and my wallet empty :) 

I ever my house burns down with my collection and equipment I will join you and buy a nice radio...........

stump

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Which is what gives rise to the audiophile merry-go-round. But believe it or not, for some people (myself included) it's all about the music.

The engineer in me does like to make improvements once in a while, but I'm not into polishing meaningless asymptotes. I rather experiment with room layout and treatment, and that is just as capable of keeping me occupied and my wallet empty :) 

I just like chasing the dragon and the empty wallet.

in all seriousness, a bit of room treatment and my listening room is done for me.

the lounge room is another story. 😂

AF7DFA58-46FB-4467-9A4E-3E7B128CD3F0.jpeg

6C140D13-57AD-460D-9953-979BC3D4CC48.jpeg

Edited by Yamaha_man

Posted (edited)

Which God are you referring to, there many audio system gods and genre religions my friend 😀

Until you have experienced all of them you never reach Nirvana 👳🏿‍♀️

6CED922F-6493-46F1-9408-7E37192E7BCA.jpeg

Edited by Al.M

Audiophiles will say “oh no, you can’t have those it upsets the purity of the sound. Bollocks😂

The really funny things is that it's actually the opposite.    Eliminating errors, ensures the purity.....  but if you do it wrong, then it will make it worse.   So, it's a tough sell.

Congratulations on your medical recovery. OCDs a *****.😀

I'm only on my 3rd system in 45 years. The 3rd just being 6 weeks ago.

I tend to do a lot of research, find the sound I'm happy with, bingo, job done. Just minor tweaking after that.

Wasted sooo much more money on cars and motor bikes.

If and when l have to downsize in accommodation, l can see myself being quite satisfied with a quality streamer and a couple of quality book shelf active speakers.

By then the technology will be on a parr with anything out there.

13 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

By then the technology will be on a parr with anything out there.

Already is  ;)

Only issue is not so much technology, but physics.    The dimension you have the woofer elevated off the ground, and from the back wall and side walls (in a typical-ish sized room) make chaos for path length cancellations (aka  "SBIR") .... and you get big holes and peaks in the response right around the maximum power/density of most music  (eg. 300Hz).

A subwoofer(s) and some EQ .... can work wonders.

If someone had $2k to spend on active bookshelves  .... then it's a no brainer to spend $500 on the speakers, and then the other $1500 on fixing the bass and EQ.       Audiophiles will say "those speakers are garbage" .... but they'll happily sit there listening to sound with glaring problems in the response that's affecting 90% of the energy.

.... but people buying expensive sound  (which $2000 totally is scary expensive in "normal people" terms)  aren't shopping on logic.... they're shopping on feelings and prestige   (which isn't so much "wrong" ... it's just "human nature"). 

6 hours ago, migasson said:

I’m a recovering audiophile😂 the best thing ever did, was stop being one.

Have you set up your WXC-50 to bypass the high-class filter?

1 hour ago, Stump said:

I ever my house burns down with my collection and equipment I will join you and buy a nice radio...........

stump

I won't. That's what insurance companies are there for.

23 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

Have you set up your WXC-50 to bypass the high-class filter?

Nope, lol.

In the anti-audiophile-can’t-be-arsed ethic, haven’t touched it😂

Whatever it came out of the box, is where it’s at right now😂😂

sounds just fine😏