Rickus

Near field set up for my home office

I currently have a pair of fairly old Adam A7s that sound good but a little bass shy.  I'm considering a pair of Genelec 8331 or 8341 monitors with a 7360A sub and the GLM SAM hardware/software for room correction.  My sources are all digital (FLAC files on a NAS and Tidal via Lumin U1 Mini streamer to a variety of DACs.)  Distance from me to speakers is a little over a metre.  Any thoughts about alternative systems?  I'm happy to go with non-powered speakers and a power amp if needed but I only have space for fairly compact speakers on my desk.  The room is approx 4x6m and is vaguely intended to be a home theatre but I never watch movies :)  My desk is set up along one of the short walls.

Thanks for any interesting thoughts...

Cheers,
Rick.

Those genelecs would be awesome! I feel excited for you about the step up you'll hear. The Adams are very good but this is a decent move up the ladder!

I'm not sure that you would need a sub for listening at that range. It would be worth getting the monitors, doing the room correction then seeing if you want to add a sub.

I just bought a pair of ksd C88 reference running with an RME ADI 2 DAC. The RME has some parametric EQ so I can tweak the sound. Not exactly full room correction, but useful. Anyway the sound is excellent. I also have a pair of me Geithain RL 930k but these are not so compact. My room is about 4x8 and there is no need for a subwoofer, I can rattle the pictures just with the speakers!

5 hours ago, sleach said:

I'm not sure that you would need a sub for listening at that range. It would be worth getting the monitors, doing the room correction then seeing if you want to add a sub.

Thanks.  That's a good idea, especially if I go with the 8341s.

The best near field active speakers I’ve ever heard were Kii Three.

They were on a Sna members desktop and literally 1m from my ears. The room (from memory) was only about 2m square.

Never heard anything like it to this date and doubt I will. When I shut my eyes the room could have been 6m square, it was amazing.

A massive investment for desktop setup but if you have the budget it’s a no brainer. 

5 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

The best near field active speakers I’ve ever heard were Kii Three.

I'd discounted these because of the size but placed on stands next to the desk they would fit OK.  Hmmm...

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Rickus said:

I'd discounted these because of the size but placed on stands next to the desk they would fit OK.  Hmmm...

I’m use to big high end speakers.

When I walked into the room and sat down I thought to myself.... “hmmm, ok”. To say they blew me away would be an understatement. Highly recommended if in budget.

Edited by Yamaha_man

42 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

I’m use to big high end speakers.

I have seen some of them in your previous posts and was greatly in awe :) 

Dynaudio Xeos. I have the xeo2 for nearfield and they're very good. Their website show that the xeo2 are now outdated and replaced by xeo10/20 but I can only see ads for xeo2 still in Australia.

25 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Dynaudio Xeos. I have the xeo2 for nearfield and they're very good. Their website show that the xeo2 are now outdated and replaced by xeo10/20 but I can only see ads for xeo2 still in Australia.

Thanks!  Will add them to the list to investigate.

1 hour ago, mjs said:

Mini Magneplanar system incl DWM bass panel perhaps

Interesting suggestion, thanks!

I was looking for a desktop setup recently and really wanted a set of active speakers to save of space.

I had a listed to the Kef LSX's and while very impressive for the size I did find find they were lacking a little in bass.

I ended up with a set of BWCM6s (found a trade in pair) and a Quad VA-One Plus. I thought it might have been overkill for the size, but it's now my favourite listening space.

On 28/08/2019 at 1:30 AM, sleach said:

Those genelecs would be awesome! I feel excited for you about the step up you'll hear. The Adams are very good but this is a decent move up the ladder!

I listened to a pair of Genelec 8341s today without a sub and they sounded great and not at all bass shy.  Still lots of other tempting options though...

Unfortunately, Brisbane is not a great place to audition a wide range of speakers.