Sign in to follow this  
KChanKL

Any Michael Jackson vinyl collector out there?

Hi there. Apparently I heard that there are many MJ records out there that are quite rare and collectible. 

I myself have a few MJ records such as the earliest release of the thriller album (with no MIchael Jackson name on the back cover).  There were around 20,000 copies only released into the market before MJ name was added on at a later stage.  Sound quality of course is much better than those newly re released record. 

Any other rare album, please share. 

11 hours ago, KChanKL said:

I myself have a few MJ records such as the earliest release of the thriller album (with no MIchael Jackson name on the back cover).  There were around 20,000 copies only released into the market before MJ name was added on at a later stage.  

Do I collect MJ records?

Not anymore....  :nuke:

The 20000 copies is conjecture I'm afraid.  The lack of the MJ credit as co-producer on the back cover occurred in every country for every 1st pressing (including Australia of course), so there are a great deal more than that available worldwide. The album was pressed in massive numbers from the start of production and the title is the largest selling pop album of all time worldwide, so physical copies are plentiful and still relatively cheap (even 1st presses).

Edit: if we do a little math here, it's easy to see 20,000 copies is very conservative. 'Thriller' was pressed in at least 2 different Columbia Records factories initially on release: Carrollton, GA, and  the Pitman pressing plant. Back in the early 80's when physical albums were King, and you were servicing a record buying market the size of the USA, 20,000 copies is terribly conservative. IF they did 10,000 1st presses at each factory, spread the total across 50 US states, that's only 400 copies per state. Remembering Jackson was already a huge star ('Off The Wall' had just finished selling 20 million copies!), and this album was always known to be the one to really elevate him to super-stardom worldwide, it seems a ludicrous move to restrict the pressings to that tiny amount. My guess it would be easily double that, just for the US.

The sound on these first pressings is very good.

Edited by candyflip
edit: more info for clarity

Wouldn't say that is rare or collectable really. Discogs median price is under $10 for the Aus release lacking the MJ credit on the rear of sleeve. Now if you have something like the Pepsi Tour version of bad there might be some money in it.

Thanks for the great insights.  I collected most of his records for nostalgic reasons plus some of his songs were memorable. 

Is there any value to the Pepsi cassette?

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Is there any value to the Pepsi cassette?

Well worth checking. Rare cassettes have recently shot up in value due to the ‘tape revival’. Rare ones tend to be very rare as there were less to start with. Worth checking discogs......then again they might have given one away with every Hungry Jacks meal deal!

Is it the triple pack? A quick search and I can’t find one for sale, seems like a good sign to me. The value of his stuff might have taken an understandable serious dive in recent times however.