Oppo BDP-83 Replacement Laser

A while back my Oppo BDP-83 started playing up - it would take quite a long time to recognise discs sometimes to the point I'd have to eject and reload. I think from memory maybe seeking/skipping also caused issues occasionally. I took it to a repair place and they said it needs a new laser, but that you cant get parts for them anymore. The guy thought PS3 and something else might have shared the same laser, but said there are several different types and you'd have to know which one. Not particularly helpful really.

So I thought I'd ask here - does anyone know anything about replacement parts for these? is it worth persuing trying to fix this model? Would it be worth anything if it was working?

I'm still so disappointed Oppo left as I really like their stuff but it makes me reluctant to buy one of their newer ones (second hand) if parts are going to be an issue, which is a shame a they really were one of the nicest options if you want to use it as an occasional CD player as well :(

It’s a well known problem for that model

eg. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/oppo-bdp-83-making-repairs.26057/

i would email OPPPO USA and ask them who sell bona fide disc transports ( u don’t wanna just replace the laser ) ( not sure if oppo USA is still selling parts ) 

ebay has tonnes of parts for this model , I changed my transport years ago its an easy fix but you may want to u tube how to do it 

and never look into a laser they can blind you 

oppo usa spare parts email

https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

if they won’t send it direct to you they may nominate an eBay seller who sells genuine Oppo parts

Edited by Kdjjdk Will

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32718866993.html

Heaps of other sources on ebay. 

There is no such thing as "genuine Oppo parts". All these components are made in some place in China and sold to companies like Oppo as OEM. No one makes their own laser pickups. 

Your first option would be to clean the laser first and see if that will improve disk readability. 

• Like 1

Got in touch with Oppo US - they responded almost instantly (did I mention how upset I am these guys are not still in the game), they wouldn't sell me the parts but offered to fix it for me:

Yes, we no longer sell BDP-83 player's optical unit to customer. But you are welcome to send only the loader to us to save on shipping compared to sending the complete unit.  The repair cost will be the same if you send only the loader or the complete unit.  It is $99.

I'm a bit worried about the each way shipping costs to the US, so might still roll the dice on an ebay unit.

As a side question, does anyone know if there's a way to tell if the unit has the updated loader - I know there was a fix to stop the tray getting stuck?

To make matters worse though, I haven't used the unit since I got it back from the previous 'repairer' but the HDMI output doesnt seem to work now, I'm not sure if it's something I've bumped loose accidentally when opening it now or something else that's stopped working in the 12 months it's sat around now. The unit detects a HDMI cable (shows HDMI on the front display), but no output. I've tried the various setting resets and updating firmware.

It's increasingly looking as not worth fixing eh.... I really haven't had a good run of gear lately. 2 denons a klipsch sub and now the oppo. All different kind of random faults. I guess things just aren't made to last now and I tend to hold onto stuff.

• 1 month later...
On 28/08/2019 at 7:31 AM, 00madz said:

Got in touch with Oppo US - they responded almost instantly (did I mention how upset I am these guys are not still in the game), they wouldn't sell me the parts but offered to fix it for me:

I'm a bit worried about the each way shipping costs to the US, so might still roll the dice on an ebay unit.

As a side question, does anyone know if there's a way to tell if the unit has the updated loader - I know there was a fix to stop the tray getting stuck?

To make matters worse though, I haven't used the unit since I got it back from the previous 'repairer' but the HDMI output doesnt seem to work now, I'm not sure if it's something I've bumped loose accidentally when opening it now or something else that's stopped working in the 12 months it's sat around now. The unit detects a HDMI cable (shows HDMI on the front display), but no output. I've tried the various setting resets and updating firmware.

It's increasingly looking as not worth fixing eh.... I really haven't had a good run of gear lately. 2 denons a klipsch sub and now the oppo. All different kind of random faults. I guess things just aren't made to last now and I tend to hold onto stuff.

I know this is a bit old now but I just saw it. Not sure about the HDMI but I replaced the laser mech in mine a couple of months ago and, although I have no experience with electronics, it was really easy and very satisfying with a total cost of about $40 :)

If you decide to go that route, PM me and I’ll dig up a link for the forum post I found that has a well-photographed, step by step guide for doing the swap (you won’t find it googling the oppo because it was for a Sony bluray mega changer that used the same laser)

• Thanks 1

Thanks I managed to get the HDMI working again - a tiny little piece of metal - i suspect a burr/filing from where i unscrewed the top case - was sitting across a track at the back of the connector - crazy. Cleaned that up and it's fine now. Have PM'd you as I'm keen to do the laser swap. Thanks

Since a couple of people have DM’ed me about this already, I’m going to leave it here for posterity, in case anyone comes searching for it

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1171332-official-sony-bd-mega-changer-thread-bdp-cx7000es-bdp-cx960-122.html

A fair way down the page, past all of the disassembling of the Sony bluray mega changer (who knew they were a thing) is a photo tutorial for changing the laser mech. It doesn’t show every step but it shows enough for me, a certified idiot, to do the job easily.

One thing I should mention is that there are a lot of warnings on the listings for the laser mechs about removing static protection points. I asked the vendor to do this for me as it was mentioned they could and he said this particular laser doesn’t have one. I hope that allays for you some of the confusion I had

Cheers, Simon

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 12/11/2019 at 10:42 AM, Pac-man said:

Any noticeable improvement on quality with a new laser or is it a case of it working or not working?

For me, the latter as it had a faulty laser when I acquired it. I’d be surprised if replacing one working laser with a new working laser made any difference though. If laser upgrades were a thing, someone in the hifi industry would be making money off it. :) 

Yeah I think you would only notice a difference if the signal from your original laser was poor/weak and the player was interpolating to error correct for the data that could not be read/reconstructed. But it's very unlikely you wouldn't notice that - normally it's pretty obvious if the player is struggling to read a disc. If you're having no problems, changing the laser won't make it sound better - optical discs are digital - you only need to read it well enough to correctly determine if it was a 1 or 0.

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell if your BDP-83 has the updated loader - I know there was a fix to stop the tray getting stuck which was a problem with some units. I'm hoping there is a way I could visually verify if the updated parts are fitted or not.

Edited by 00madz

On 14/11/2019 at 7:09 AM, 00madz said:

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell if your BDP-83 has the updated loader - I know there was a fix to stop the tray getting stuck which was a problem with some units. I'm hoping there is a way I could visually verify if the updated parts are fitted or not.

Heres the original specs including the loader versions for the 83 and the 83se for the initial firmware upgrade[ if describing the loader mechanism] . Hopefully theres a sticker identifier in the chassis ?

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=1667843&postcount=1

Sorry, as in I should be looking if it says either of these: BE2650 or BT0350 ??

I thought you could send the unit back and there was a particular part they replaced? But maybe it was the whole loader...

5 hours ago, 00madz said:

Sorry, as in I should be looking if it says either of these: BE2650 or BT0350 ??

I thought you could send the unit back and there was a particular part they replaced? But maybe it was the whole loader...

No forget that ; thought that may corelate with an identification on the mechanism but its obviously a part of the firmware sub routine ..

This may be more helpful ; and if its not the drive belt an alcohol swab for the laser cant hurt  

FORUM.AUDIOGON.COM

Firstly, this model, the BDP-83 is from 2009/2010 and has been superceded by newer Oppo Blu-Ray disc players several times...
WWW.AUDIOSHARK.ORG

Hi gents, I want to open my 83-se up to try to clean the laser mechanism with a cotton swab and alcohol. My unit is no longer...

I bought this one for mine, it worked fine. Simple to fit.

• Like 1