Sign in to follow this  
Eagleeyes

Help Gryphon Or Vitus

Posted (edited)

Hello I am in the process of swapping my Vitus Ri100 and matching Vitus rs100 power amp used as bi amps on 802 diamonds and have chance to do two things quickly and need to make up my mind today so any answers much appreciated.

I use a  Vitus rcd101 player dac and other bits and pieces including a PS audio directsream dac and transport or Rega p10 or VPi Tnt HR decks.

Its all very nice but thinking of quick changes upgrades, though I a quite like what I have and cannot test before I buy  as I live In Perth and different rooms cables, set up anyway.

Okay I can sell Ri100 and add the Rp102 preamp with 3 analogue and 3 digital from memory to have a dedicated matching pre power Vitus set up or a cheaper to buy but same price new  Vitus RD-100 Dac Pre unit which is from matching series as the Rs100 and use the pre directly with the dacs volume out , it has 2 analogue inputs and 5 digital so well covered. So can use Cd player into either and sell Ps audio etc. This combo has a lot of positive write ups.

Or sell all the Vitus gear and move to the dark side of Denmark and buy a not for sale yet Gryphon Sonata and Antilleon Signature pre power . Only issue is Power amp is a beast and won't fit into my rack will have to sit ontop, only have 51cm wide and 28 high inside, hardly the worst scenario, obviously the Vitus is only about 4 years old and the Gryphon 8 or so, but mint and from a well trusted source.

What would you suggest does the Gryphon wipe the floor with any of the Vitus combos.

thoughts much appreciated and I know I am spoilt either way and not slumming it, but have spent 30 years building to this.

cheers Adam

Edited by Eagleeyes

Posted (edited)

@EagleeyesI have had three Vitus setups starting with the RI 100 and finishing with a signature pre and power.  All were excellent and a step up each time.  I have never tried Gryphon.  I would suggest as well as The Gryphon you think about moving countries and consider Soulutions from Switzerland.  Just lovely!

John

Edited by Assisi

Damn those First World problems!!! My heart knows the anguish you are going through. Good luck with finding the solution.

Gryphon Or Vitus

2 great companies with a A/B shootout coming down 50/50 depending on the listener.My advice would be to take a deep breath and spend the next month doing research.Whatever super deal you must make today will be there in the future...

Stump

At that level you really, Really, REALLY, REALLY need to demo before you make a decision.

If I were at that level I would consider a flight across the country, to make sure I made the right call, a completely justifiable thing to do.

2 minutes ago, Cafad said:

At that level you really, Really, REALLY, REALLY need to demo before you make a decision.

If I were at that level I would consider a flight across the country, to make sure I made the right call, a completely justifiable thing to do.

I would consider a Show weekend and get the info first hand!

P1000153.thumb.jpg.806a109e1b5f1ad60a39faea4557b2d0.jpg

Obviously best to listen to first however if this is not possible my personal preference would be for the Gryphon pairing.

I believe the Gryphon combo are a higher end model than the RS-100 so could be an advantage there.

Other than that the question would be more about personal preference, I find the Gryphon presentation more rich and warm while Vitus a slightly dryer presentation.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, we found an Audionet power amp wiped the floor with the equivalent Vitus.

Posted (edited)

I have the best of both Worlds, Vitus Preamps and Gryphon Poweramps. This combo seems to satisfied every pain in the @$$ visitor(s). 

You are most welcome for an audition if you are keen?  

779768EF-82FF-4BE9-8CBD-F148BA3D911B.thumb.jpeg.502354214aa523bd5fce38647a0e4368.jpeg2E8F40A9-D829-4E29-9417-959821A35F0C.thumb.jpeg.64f8e9ff97d3f06a1292544d6b660f98.jpeg

Edited by Chanh
photos added.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Chanh said:

I have the best of both Worlds, Vitus Preamps and Gryphon Poweramps. This combo seems to satisfied every pain in the @$$ visitor(s). 

779768EF-82FF-4BE9-8CBD-F148BA3D911B.thumb.jpeg.502354214aa523bd5fce38647a0e4368.jpeg2E8F40A9-D829-4E29-9417-959821A35F0C.thumb.jpeg.64f8e9ff97d3f06a1292544d6b660f98.jpeg

does every amp come with its own rug?

BTW your room looks fantastic.

Edited by PKay

13 minutes ago, PKay said:

does every amp come with its own rug?

Surely, we all knew that type of rug can majorly influence the sound due to each individual acoustic response properties and characteristics, right?  

So ya......, don't forget to bring your own, rug that is! 

1 hour ago, Chanh said:

Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it.

so are you running a reference Vitus pre or Signature series and is that the Antilleon Signature power amp,  out of interest and this maybe a reasonably thick question, but surely if I try to put your two shots together then your connecting interconnects from pre to power must be 12 feet long at least, isn't that a bad thing to do, given your equipment level I am sure its not but always thought that to be the case, also are they the big Magicos, it must sound amazing especially after a glass/ bottle of 389 to aid digestion of course.

yes, that is the antileon signature.

it is a fantastic amp indeed, but you'll need a hefty rack to contain it's 90kg weight.

best placed closer to the floor!

as somebody already mentioned, these amps have a warmer, full-bodied sound compared to the vitus

which is still bloody nice. maybe you may need to change speakers first?

Can’t provide advice on Gryphon versus Vitus but I do have the Gryphon Diablo 120 - the ‘baby’ integrated. Stunning build and sound quality. It easily out performed by old ME25/ME850 combination. 

Truly magnificent piece of kit that will never leave me. Can’t wait till my Gryphon Scorpio S CD arrives from Denmark to pair with the Diablo. 

Another consideration is the Diablo 300. 

4 hours ago, Stump said:

I would consider a Show weekend and get the info first hand!

P1000153.thumb.jpg.806a109e1b5f1ad60a39faea4557b2d0.jpg

flemming looks great there! was that at the recent hk espresso martini show?

I dont think you are comparing apples with apples here, The RI-100 and RS-100 are entry level Vitus products. Amps are class AB and as good as they are (I know, I have one) I dont think you can compare with a reference product like Antilleon , Its Pure class A for a start with all the extra goodness that goes into a reference class product, similar with the Sonata , a 2 box pre. Faffing around with the front end will never make up for the quality of that pre and power. Similarly if you were comparing to refererence level Vitus gear its obviously going to be better. The trade off is it costs more, its second hand, no warranty, if something goes wrong repair will be v expensive. 

So in short, yes the Gryphon will be better but so will other reference class products, but costs more money and more risk if there are problems