Help Gryphon Or Vitus

4 hours ago, Eagleeyes said:

Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it.

so are you running a reference Vitus pre or Signature series and is that the Antilleon Signature power amp,  out of interest and this maybe a reasonably thick question, but surely if I try to put your two shots together then your connecting interconnects from pre to power must be 12 feet long at least, isn't that a bad thing to do, given your equipment level I am sure its not but always thought that to be the case, also are they the big Magicos, it must sound amazing especially after a glass/ bottle of 389 to aid digestion of course.

You are welcome for a visit. Shoot me a pm of your availability? 

My old friend @Tasso is with a wealth of knowledge about these amps... Another @Jones99 is with a pair of my dream amps..., Gryphon Mesphisto Solos. Personally for me, I have heard many different permutations and combinations, and my affair with Mesphisto Solos only intensify. Unfortunately, my wife is also important to my life and my little family. Otherwise, I might will ended up with one Magico speakers, a dissected Gryphon AS...., you get the point?!  

As for interconnect, these are full balanced. My clotted ears unable to differentiate differences. If any, only positives. Enough sayings...., let your practical firsthand listening experience guide you when you are here. 

Edited by Chanh
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagleeyes said:

watch this space it might be time to meet Robert Johnson and sell my soul...

Or redeem it with some Conrad Johnson (Gat it?) 

5 minutes ago, Eagleeyes said:

Heres my rack to get some input. I designed and built it years ago and can hold 1000 kilos. 500kilos  through the middle.

IMG_8151.jpg

In class a operation these amps get hot, I would never put them in a rack but each to their own.

Okay thats I guess what today was all about to find out more info to see if it could work on the top middle with e pre under neath---- when I take the system to the next level and it seems to be the case, I can place the power infront at the bottom its more of the rack was deigned long term to take a much of a system as it thought I would ever have and also to accommodate the rest of the house and the room which is not huge 

maybe I am moving passed that point and need to adjust my thinking accordingly. Thanks to all again for your input.

1 hour ago, Yamaha_man said:

I’ve had the Gryphon Antilleon Signature, wasn’t bad but I preferred my Krell KAS monoblocks.

i now have Vitus SM 101 monoblocks but still prefer the Krell KAS.

im using an Esoteric Pre and TAD Reference 1 speakers.

Make up your own mind from what I’m saying.

FYI these amps are not meant to reside in a rack, an amp stand maybe but certainly not a rack.

0878F806-8E83-4426-8F58-95E1EEAC5AF8.jpeg

I could always can my plans and call Audio connection and pick up the complete Krell system for sale Cd, Dac, pre and you power amps plus power supplies etc and throw the rack in another room. ???????

Sometimes this hobby is maddening...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eagleeyes said:

Heres my rack to get some input. I designed and built it years ago and can hold 1000 kilos. 500kilos  through the middle.

IMG_8151.jpg

Have you tried to pull the 802s out into the room a  little or is your room quite short/challenging? It would seem in their current position you would struggle to get their best with whatever amp you use. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eagleeyes said:

Yes to listen I do, they are pushed back to keep the peace.

I wold prefer to put them in place on spikes permanently but its only 5 metres long.

Ok makes sense....we all have to compromise at times...

5 hours ago, analog brother said:

how often does that happen???

should that happen?

It happens every single time when poor ventilation. In other words, insufficient clearance from top chassis. Should it happened? The answer is absolutely YES. It’s the minimal requirement for this type of ticket item. The amps also has a little microprocessor unit to continuously monitor voltage, phase, DC voltage and heat. If voltage is either over or under, Amps went into safe mode. 

Given how challenging your space looks I would consider finding speakers that suit the space first.  Audionote which are designed to be placed in corners and against the wall may be an option and I'm sure that there would be many others.  AN speakers are very easy to drive and wouldn't need a massive amp.  Lugging speakers around each time you want to have a listen must be a big pain.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chanh said:

It happens every single time when poor ventilation. In other words, insufficient clearance from top chassis. Should it happened? The answer is absolutely YES. It’s the minimal requirement for this type of ticket item. The amps also has a little microprocessor unit to continuously monitor voltage, phase, DC voltage and heat. If voltage is either over or under, Amps went into safe mode. 

ok yes, i understand it has built-in protection, but i was looking at the photo

in which you have the amp ideally placed in the open. i didn't think you'd

put it anywhere else.

i thought you were saying that it tripped protection in the location of the photo.

that would be a problem for sure!

3 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

I’ll say it again for those hard of hearing. These type of class a amplifiers should not be in a standard hifi rack, an amp stand yes, rack no.

agree - the space, rack, and room depicted are a bit small for an antileon. 

there is a lot of gear there already.

you could set up another system with the ae's in another room; maybe have a tv/digital system, then a separate analog system?

that is a very busy little corner - but as said, each to there own and if you have a boss to deal with....all the best of luck.

1 minute ago, analog brother said:

agree - the space, rack, and room depicted are a bit small for an antileon. 

there is a lot of gear there already.

you could set up another system with the ae's in another room; maybe have a tv/digital system, then a separate analog system?

that is a very busy little corner - but as said, each to there own and if you have a boss to deal with....all the best of luck.

I wish, that is my space, 3 kids at private school and a 4 bedroom 2, bath, family/ stereo room and dining room in a great old suburb, but that's it I am afraid until and I was going to say win lotto but I don't play, so to I die probably. I am not complaining or maybe I am a bit.?

1 hour ago, PKay said:

Given how challenging your space looks I would consider finding speakers that suit the space first.  Audionote which are designed to be placed in corners and against the wall may be an option and I'm sure that there would be many others.  AN speakers are very easy to drive and wouldn't need a massive amp.  Lugging speakers around each time you want to have a listen must be a big pain.

I am looking at a couple of options to change speakers the bookshelf Focal Utopias at LWA and a pair of Paradigm s8 series 3, the Focal's would sing I think in the room and the Paradigm fit much better as they are so thin but deep and that works for me .

I was also keen on the Marten Getz the went over the weekend as they can go close to a back wall.

Will keep the ideas flowing as it's never set in stone.

maybe a re-orientation of the room?

or smaller stand mount speaker like aforementioned focal or wilson duette 2?

or a downsize ( in size, not quality) of the system?

good that you don't play lotto, you can buy more hifi with the money you save.

most people spend over 30k in a lifetime lotto/scratchie career. 

don't rush it - research your options. the solution will come to you over time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eagleeyes said:

I am looking at a couple of options to change speakers the bookshelf Focal Utopias at LWA and a pair of Paradigm s8 series 3, the Focal's would sing I think in the room and the Paradigm fit much better as they are so thin but deep and that works for me .

I was also keen on the Marten Getz the went over the weekend as they can go close to a back wall.

my recollection of Martens is  that they are a bit bright and would be worth an audition before buying.

True and yes a bit off topic, we have already built out our 516metre  block , changing the old house from a 2x1 to a 4x2 so I am bit stuck on that and have two sheds and not putting the system in one of those, but glad we are looking at every angle here. cheers Adam

2 hours ago, Eagleeyes said:

Unless you already on to this a set of Herbie's Gliders would make pulling out the B&Ws for a listening session a simple two second job.

No reason to replace them with something smaller if you enjoy them as they are. :) 

Just now, Martykt said:

Unless you already on to this a set of Herbie's Gliders would make pulling out the B&Ws for a listening session a simple two second job.

No reason to replace them with something smaller if you enjoy them as they are. :) 

The are on rollers anyway and have a full on set of high end spikes to use , but I can move in 2 secs into position. I like them to be honest.

• Like 1