Which BD player? UDP-UD420? DMP-UB9000? UDP-LX500?

Hi, I am thinking about getting a JVC DLA-N7 to replace my HW45ES. So now I need a new 4k BD player.

I am thinking about getting one of the UDP-UD420, DMP-UB9000 and UDP-LX500.

For my HT use, I will use twin HDMI outputs from a BD player, so the 7.1 analogue outputs are not used. The above 3 BD players all have twin HDMI outputs, while the last 2 have 7.1 analogue outputs which won't be used. 

Comparing functions, the UDP-UD420 is only short of Dolby Vision, which may not be that important. Would I be able to get the same image and sound via HDMI as the other two (or 99% of them) for a fraction of the cost?

I have hundreds of standard BD discs and have only one 4k disk. I am not going to upgrade my existing discs but in the future will get new 4k discs. So I will be playing standard BD discs most of the time.

Has anybody actually compared the players side by side?

Correction, only the UB9000 has 7.1 analogue which you do not need.

If using HDMI, the quality of the sound is the same. Both Pana have HDR optimiser which is excellent and make them sightly better for video than the Pioneer.

If you do not need better stereo, then skip UB9000, LX500. Go UB420.  As far as I know (but I stand to be corrected!), the video processing of the UB420 is the same as the UB9000.

Thanks for your note. It looks like UB420 is what I need.

I was also thinking about LX500 because I was wondering if it is good enough for watch blu ray discs of classical concerts with the stereo outputs. I am currently using the Marantz UD7007 (modified by myself) which sounds pretty good, and I use it to watch classical concerts and ballets. My stereo system is much better than my HT system (HDMI) in terms of sound. If the LX500 can equal or better the UD7007 in stereo analogue sound then it would be an attractive option to me too.

Edited by 1stThunder

Have not auditioned the LX500 but from what I have read, it is better than the UB9000 for stereo, and cost more. It also does SACD, which you may not have.

Hard to say whether it is better than the UD7007, especially when you have modded it.  Since you already have a seperate stereo system and are happy with the UD7007, suggest going UB420.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have now bought the Panasonic UB420. So far I have tested it on full HD / standard Blu Ray from the Sony HW45ES full HD projector, not UHD / 4k Blu Ray .

The picture quality is excellent. The sound via audio only HDMI is OK , and is not bad, but probably not as good as my Marantz UD7007.

I will have the JVC N7 in a couple of weeks time and the UB420 will work with the N7.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 1stThunder said:

In JVC website, it says that the JVC N series projectors work with high end Panasonic BD players UB9000/UB9004. It didn't include the cheaper 820/420.

Video in UB420, UB820 and UB9000 are supposed to be the same...

10 hours ago, 1stThunder said:

In JVC website, it says that the JVC N series projectors work with high end Panasonic BD players UB9000/UB9004. It didn't include the cheaper 820/420.

The 420/820 are designed to work well with the colour gamuts of JVC's as they recommend :thumb: The 9000 just goes 1 step further with extra custom profiles developed in conjunction with both companies..[ its expected at the price level but the basic extreme chipset used is the same]:)

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16195611&postcount=342

• Like 1