Broke one of the speakers from my Denon surround. What to do?

Guest jwalker

Guest jwalker

Hey guys,

I'm a bit of a novice....

My kid tripped over a cable and broke one of these surround speakers. Seems like she completely buggered the speaker inside it, I can hear it flopping around when i pick it up. Spoke to Denon distributor here in Brissy and says can't get replacements for these as too old. It's a great system though. What should I do? Can I buy some other speakers, perhaps pick up a pair of used different speakers to replace the two rear ones (I'm guessing just replacing one with something different wouldn't be smart). What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Edited by jwalker
It's a Denon DHT-500SD system. The speaker model no is SC-A500SD.

Guest jwalker

It's a Denon DHT-500SD system. The speaker model no is SC-A500SD.

The magnets on each of the speakers have ripped right off and are flopping around inside

Edited by jwalker

Guest Muon N'

If they are like normal speaker drivers....., they can be glued back in place but need to be aligned well..is all.

But I can't find a good pic of inside these speakers.

Edit: other option is to search ebay and gumtree, but that costs more and might be hit n miss.

Edited by Muon N'

Guest jwalker

what if i pickup say a pair of bookshelf speakers and use these for the rears instead? Can you bung any old pair of speakers in place of these or do they really need to be something quite similar to the originals?

@jwalker, another option may be to just replace the drivers rather than an entire pair of speakers.

If they have a model number on them they should be pretty easy and affordable to source.

If they don't have any model or part number on them it may be worth contacting Denon to source replacements.

7 minutes ago, jwalker said:

what if i pickup say a pair of bookshelf speakers and use these for the rears instead? Can you bung any old pair of speakers in place of these or do they really need to be something quite similar to the originals?

I'm not a cinemaphile so take my advice with a grain of salt..... :unsure:

I would say for surround speakers any old pair of speakers would probably do the job especially with auto-calibration to tune them into the system.

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'

To replace you will need to know the specs of the original speakers, so, no...can't just bung in any speakers if looking for it to work well.

Edited by Muon N'

Guest Muon N'
5 hours ago, Madaxle said:

Why dont you use one of the fronts as the rear and buy some new bookshelve front speakers

And what spec'ed speakers does he need?

22 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

And what spec'ed speakers does he need?

Found old manual here - page 35 shows the current specs. Maybe take the base unit into a hifi shop and see if you can plug in some speakers and test to see if they work.

http://theatresystemmanual.com/image/catalog/denon/Denon_DHT-500SD.pdf

Power amplifier Output power (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 100W) –

TStereo ................................2 x 100 W

Output power (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 100W)

Front left/right ....................2 x 100 W

Center ...............................100 W

Surround left/right ...............2 x 100 W

Subwoofer ............................100 W

Edited by Madaxle
Changed wording from show to shop

Guest Muon N'
On 25/08/2019 at 8:14 PM, jwalker said:

It's a Denon DHT-500SD system. The speaker model no is SC-A500SD.

The magnets on each of the speakers have ripped right off and are flopping around inside

I'm am not sure of the construction of those drivers, but if you want to try and repair it check out some guides to it.

• 11 months later...