Sign in to follow this  
Andrews_melb

Turntable isolation platform or isolating feet

Hi all, ive got a rega rp3 currently with adjustable feet for levelling. 

Im building a new wall hung hifi unit and the TT will go on top. See below for plans

it will sit approx 1100mm off the floor to keep out of reach for small kids.

im trying to decide on which option would be better and why, a turntable isolation platform (butchers block on sorbothane pads) or the TT sitting directly on the timber top, followed by some isolating feet.

One photo shows another timber top similar to what ill be building, i potentially could try to make this isolated from the hifi unit which will be wall hung anyway.

the tangospinner feet i currently have seem to be isolating but i think i can do better.

Any suggestions are welcome

cheers

732FEAA6-33F5-4469-9D38-301DB3B1009D.jpeg

83037B10-A71D-426E-8D17-1622620378CF.jpeg

Edited by Andrews_melb

Wyndham Audio have just launched some TT isolation platforms. I have them, certainly has dampened out the resonance. Took the edge off the brighter Transrotor TT beautifully. Mine are white beech hardwood.

@cheekyboy

p4.jpg

p2.jpg

P1040030.JPG

p3.jpg

p1.jpg

If you buy isolation feet pay close attention to the weight specs as for best results your TT  -plus butcher's block- need to be within the range specified or it won't isolate that well. I am using Iso-pucks from isoacoustics and do work but I was expecting better. There are the Orea blue that are supposed to be better but are substantially more expensive. If you have the choice of having it separated from the rest of the component I'll probably chose that.

@Andrews_melb what “nasties” are you intending to isolate?

If you are hanging the unit on the wall  is the wall timber frame/Gyprock or brick?  If the former and you are fixing to the studs or if brick using dyna-bolts then the unit is pretty well isolated from footfall/human/household interference.  The wooden slab should also provide further natural damping. You might not need any more. 

The Windham unit looks nice or perhaps the Ikea chopping block as you mentioned could be compared to simply using the TT as is or with more expensive options. 

Hearing is believing.  

Cheers @Uglu, i suppose im trying to figure out why one would choose one option over the other, if everything else was equal. 

Both options are possible yet id probably only choose one.

my hifi unit will be fixed to the wall, so already doing some isolation.

@frankn timber studs mate with 240x45 lvl noggs in the wall for this unit.

trying to isolate minor knocks of the hifi unit, say if a kid knocks the hifi unit the TT may get some vibrations running through it. I probably cant completely isolate that, but can try!

also i suppose im not looking at specific ‘nasties’ and your right a but of trial and error will be the go, just wanted to see of people had ideas on iso feet vs butchers block style

cheers

If you can fix the timber top seperate from the unit eg a shelf very close to the top of the unit you’d be done. 

Yeah i think ill give that a go, some thick ‘L’ brackets going down the studs, hidden by the unit with the 40mm top screwed to it

34 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

Cheers @Uglu, i suppose im trying to figure out why one would choose one option over the other, if everything else was equal. 

It is not how I have it but given the chance I would have the tt separated from the rest to prevent touching controls and vibrations being transmitted that way. I personally don't need to go to that extreme as I am fairly happy with my set up. Iso-Pucks + heavy acrylic base then the TT that has it's own isolation. I really need to do something silly to have a problem. Loud music has never been a vibration problem, only busy hands.

Edited by Uglu

@Andrews_melb have a look at Funkfirm Boing feet.

Tell them what model Rega and they’ll supply feet to suit.

If you want the TT sitting on a block then factor in the extra weight for each footer and again they’ll supply what suits.

My suspended wood floor is terrible, just walking can upset things but since installing the Boing feet it’s not an issue and the increase in SQ really surprised me.

My Lenco sits on Clearlight Audio RDC cones, then a block of camphor laurel with the Boing Feet under the block

A38314F1-9667-47E0-8D9F-5E592C44045C.thumb.jpeg.d0cba39718cbd4e65607083cd0913397.jpeg

Edited by Gryffles

Cheers @Gryffles

those feet look great, are the adjustable to level the TT?

my floor is hardwood flooring on ply on slab and unit will be bolted to the wall.

So just trying to get everyones opinions on which is better out of a butchers block style or isolating feet on the TT straight onto the top of unit

@Andrews_melb they are adjustable as they have a threaded insert. Key to it is making sure you have the correct number of springs in each foot for the weight. Not a problem if you are using them directly under your Rega as they will send the correct configuration. Mine was a bit different and I had to order extra springs to take into account the weight of the block.

The only reason I used the block is to add mass to the plinth as my plinth is not overly large/heavy as far as Lenco's go and more mass is said to be good for idlers. I was really following the advice of the boys on Lenco Heaven with this and the Clearlight cones.

4 hours ago, Andrews_melb said:

Why are you trying to isolate your system from a solid slab floor....which doesn't have resonance? The slab floor will isolate as good as your cinder brick wall. If you only want to isolate your TT from the rest of your equipment, you should only need a wall shelf for your TT or a decent isolation platform or feet. The rack should be able to sit on the slab floor without issue.....deeming it unnecessary to suspend the entire rack on the wall and leaving only the TT in need of isolation from your other components, ie: a lot less work to achieve the same or similar result.🙂

Edited by stevoz

To explain further.....I have a slab floor. My TT is isolated from the rest of the system by being on a separate coffee table next to the main system. The (home made) isolation platform it sits on is to isolate it from airborne vibrations from the right channel speaker which sits next to the TT ....not from the floor. Being a slab floor, no vibrations enter the system or TT from the floor.....your situation should be the same. You want your TT to be isolated from your rack, ie: the other components......but the rack doesn't need isolating from your slab floor.🙂

DSCF3454.thumb.jpg.73d1ac97687238fe0bbf6c48b7a0b6bd.jpg

Edited by stevoz

@stevoz

brilliant thanks, thats what i was after, if isolation not required then no real need for anything too extreme. Was trying to figure out why/if a butchers block set up would help me and appears not.

thanks for that

11 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

@stevoz

brilliant thanks, thats what i was after, if isolation not required then no real need for anything too extreme. Was trying to figure out why/if a butchers block set up would help me and appears not.

thanks for that

So now you are only left with the task of isolating your TT from the rest of your components, so a TT wall shelf is probably the best way to go for total isolation.....or.....a butchers block on isolation feet (or sorbothane hemispheres like what's under my iso-platform) under your TT (but still on the rack) for 'not quite' total isolation but better than you have now.....👍

You won’t go too far wrong with a wall shelf for the TT. You can incorporate bolts/nuts to allow you to place and level a board on top- a la the bamboo chopping blocks from Ikea, or use one of the after market shelves which are pretty cheap. Even the quadraspire isn’t crazy expensive, and looks great. I think the rega orthodoxy would recommend using a light board over a butchers block, but I suspect the major point is isolating it from vibrations from the floor and speakers.

Justin

Cheers @Juzbear hifi unit is wall mounted and TT is a long way from speakers so should be all cool. 

From what @stevoz said and im on the same page, theres not really much to isolate from.

i suppose i should have asked a broad question like: what does every prefer/have tried out of a butchers block style isolation platform (stock TT feet) vs specific isolating TT feet like those funk firm boings

ill just do the wall mount like i planned and see what it comes up like