Which Led Zeppelin Vinyl?

18 hours ago, evil c said:

I've bought a few of the remasters like Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffitifrom JB, but the standouts have been the Japanese pressings.

I have the remaster of Physical Graffiti that I bought from JB HiFi.

Played it once, never again.

It is pus.

Edited by Gee Emm

23 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

@joz I have some doubles of Aussie first presses you can have for free. 

I know I have 3 and 4. I think a couple of others. 

E2825F41-97E1-42D1-B52B-BA8D0D587CA4.jpeg

115E1BCB-D5F2-42BC-9E28-07FEF952F712.jpeg

22 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Jesus, I just got another one you can borrow. Should I bring that also? 

Yea please, would love to borrow .

So what rekids you got?

1+2?

If you really love Led Zeppelin then the Classic Records remasters will put a smile on your face every time you play them-long after the cost has dwindled from your mind.

The power of Bonzo’s drumming has to be heard to be believed.

Worth searching long term- be patient.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Bah!

The first Bob Ludwig pressing of 'two' is the one you want!

(I haven't got one................but I want one!)

I know.  Let's not bid on the same one when a genuine one actually appears, eh?

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
1 hour ago, joz said:

Yea please, would love to borrow .

So what rekids you got?

1+2?

Hey @joz I have 3 and 4 in doubles. 

The others I think I only have singles.

I also have a direct drive turntable you can borrow till the Yamaha comes home.  

20 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Who was the engineer?

Dunno, but there is a sticker on the front that states;

"40TH ANNIVERSARY

EDITION ON 180g VINYL

includes Kashmir & Trampled Under Foot

Remastered & Produced by Jimmy Page"

Mr Page needs to retire.

It really is shite.

That's $49.95 I could have spent on beer & pizza!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have the soundtrack to The Song Remains the Same in the UK pressing and the 180g Vinyl. Must listen to them again to compare.

I do have the full official releases on vinyl through to Coda. My copies of 1 & 2 were bought new in 1978. The first 2 LP's I ever bought.

Guest jakeyb77
19 hours ago, joz said:

The tt sounds good.

Must make a time 

So you got any Classics?

Would love to do a comparo here?

The two I have for you are 

Led Zepp 3 - 1974 Aus repress. 

Led Zepp 4 - 1971 Aus first press. 

A BG Classic Records Houses of The Holy went for $100USD on eBay today. I nearly bought it but resisted..... for now. 

I’ll keep the Led Zepp 4 from the UK instead. It’s the version 5 with Misty Mountain Top incorrectly on the B side. 

My Led Zepp 3 is a 1976 Jap Pressing. 

Edited by jakeyb77

2 hours ago, Gee Emm said:

Dunno, but there is a sticker on the front that states;

"40TH ANNIVERSARY

EDITION ON 180g VINYL

includes Kashmir & Trampled Under Foot

Remastered & Produced by Jimmy Page"

Mr Page needs to retire.

It really is shite.

That's $49.95 I could have spent on beer & pizza!

He's prolly just deaf.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 25/08/2019 at 9:08 PM, joz said:

The tt sounds good.

Must make a time 

So you got any Classics?

Would love to do a comparo here?

Listened to Led Zep 1 classic vs US  early at gp press today.

Old US record despite being a bit poppy is much more dynamic and has a larger sound stage. Sounds much better to me and was cheaper too!

Led Zep ii RL and Houses first press are really good too.

• Like 1

@joz ... If you are planning to do a Led Zepp comparison I'd be keen to come along to it.

I collected all their studio albums as they were released while I was growing up, so just the normal pressings that were available in Australia.

And then I bought all the Page remasters when they came along.

I've only compared the first 2 albums between the original and the Page remasters, and I think the Page versions were better than the originals.

Most of my Page remasters are still sealed and unopened.

Would be keen to hear how the different types of pressings compare.

Great topic.  I have all the early Aussie pressings, but they leave me a little wanting for some reason.  I picked up a Jap “in through the out door” and it’s pretty good.  Dunno.  Pretty hit and miss it seems!  Also, my 4 is warped in one little spot (weird) and I’ve tried to no avail to flatten it...bugger

Guest jakeyb77

As I was saying to @joz the other day, first press Led Zepp and the like are hit and miss. Most of them smell like bong smoke and beer stains and good old parties of the day. 

The Jap pressings I have found to be very well kept and also sound great. 

I dunno if I’d get too hung up on them unless I was going to spend $$$ on the Classic Records ones. 

Hi Joz, 

I've got a mixed bag of NZ & Oz presses from the eighties, of all of them the only two of any merit are I & HOTH the latter being exceptional, on thicker vinyl maybe a little earlier than the others. 

Over the the past few years I've been upgrading, dropped some cash on classic's of LZI & PG, being my two favourite LZ albums I thought WTF, worth every penny and I could easily sell them for what I paid. Someone mentioned, and I with endorse, the drums come alive on the Classic presses. 

I maybe fluked this purchase, a vintage Japanese press of LZII in my opinion matches the classic's for quarter the outlay, bit of a gamble but that's where I'd be looking. 

Upgraded LZIII with a second hand 2014 JP remaster, definitely acceptable for $30. The highs are a little shrilly on some tracks, especially gallows pole, but plenty of bass which is what the originals lacked.

not sure on @Gee Emm experience with PG as I think these were from the same series of presses ? 

• Like 1

I went through this process a couple of years ago.

I was lucky enough one weekend to listen to The Classic Records pressings, some UK Plum/1st Pressings , a RL Led Zep II, and also some of the  Road Case 45 RPM set, some on my system, and others at darthlakers place.

If money was no object, I'd go for the Road Case.

There was also something special about the Early UK pressings, but finding them in decent condition is difficult, and I think I preferred the Plum Led Zeppelin II over the RL version.

The Classic Records pressings were very ,very good, and certainly much better than some random Aust pressings I already had, as well was the the more recent remastered/deluxe sets than came out a few years ago. I did prefer the UK 1st presses to the classic records.

I've ended up with Classic Records pressings, as well as a UK Plum Led Zep II, and remain on the lookout for really nice copies of UK pressings of the others.

• Like 2

One of the great regrets of my audio life is just missing out on a “Road Case” at $US1000 when they were first released.

Very interested in your comments on UK first pressings.

I think their value just went up considerably.........

Edited by Road Kill

• 2 weeks later...

Ty for this thread: Have sold my ii, iii, and iv 2014 presses after not being satisfied with them (Hope Jake likes them more than I did), I have pulled the trigger on a NM MoFi of ii (will still be looking for 1st presses of i, iii, iv and HotH.

A mate has an EX+ of the RL press and the Classic version to A/B/C.

• Like 1