Electrovoice Interface.

To stream or not to stream This is the Question?

17 hours ago, Electrovoice Interface. said:

Recently looked at purchasing a music streamer the demo was done using Roon I listened to a particular jazz song by Dudley Moore. By chance I had taken my cd copy with me after listening to the roon  version we decided to play my cd version it was chalk and cheese black or white..the Cd version was more dynamic and the musical clarity was unquestionable...So my question is. Was that a one of Or is digital streaming all what they say it is.Question does it come down to good internet connections the DACs the price you pay for the streamer I might point out the demonstration was done with high-end audio. Finally the Roon experience left me disappointed was hoping to sell my collection of CDs numbered in the thousands and go hi end streaming not so sure anymore..Was interested in the purchasing the lumin network player D2 ...Any feed back would be welcome on this subject.

Couple of questions, have you been listening to the same DAC (streamer connected into CD player input? Or streamer had it’s own DAC or connected to external DAC? I can imagine slightly different sound in case of using CD player front end (digital input) but it shouldn’t be night and day unless there’s something wrong with it but in case streamer has been connected into different DAC or its own then no wonder they sounded differently

To Kukynas thankyou for your reply the unit was a quite an expensive streamer with its own DACs and then we changed to a Hi End cd player for the purpose of the comparison test but your point is a good one Cheers 

16 hours ago, Luc said:

If your nerdy, then go Roon and Tidal, lot's of nerdy types love Roon and Tidal and all the configuring.

Haha.

I reckon I am about 4-5/10 nerdy, but have found the combo of Roon as a stream manager, my NAS with CD and Hi-res files , and Tidal, to be a great combo.  You can probably make it work if you are at about Nerd Factor 2/10.  Not really a challenge.

Tidal is head and shoulders above Spotify in dynamics and musical enjoyment. If I like something on Tidal, I will still buy it in CD or download a FLAC and store this on the NAS.  If I just schlepping around then Tidal is a good way to experiment and try stuff.  

If I really, really love the music then I will go all out to find a vinyl version as well.  Different horses etc

I admit there is some expense in all these things but when has that ever stopped a music lover/geek?

Stream stream stream! If you can join Qobuz and have it streaming from the app you might be surprised on how good it sounds.
You must have a decent speed on your internet connection. Their 96/24 and 192/24 sound amazing. I had Tidal but Qobuz is superior.

On 23/08/2019 at 8:08 AM, Electrovoice Interface. said:

jazz song by Dudley Moore

which cd was this?

On 23/08/2019 at 8:22 AM, Electrovoice Interface. said:

Yes you are right how would you know? The information on the Roon version displayed of the particular song and Cd was exactly the same.Does Roon have obligation to only upload Hi End versions or the best copies available as you are paying a high premium to use there service yearly or a one of payment of $500 odd US dollars for life so I'm told... thanks for your input.

Why do sacd's cost so much more than when most are copied from cd's . They are only in getting $$$ not so about hq.

Peter

On 23/08/2019 at 8:08 AM, Electrovoice Interface. said:

Finally the Roon experience left me disappointed was hoping to sell my collection of CDs numbered in the thousands and go hi end streaming not so sure anymore..

DON"T!!! I've had mates that have sold all their life time collection of CD's to finance going down the streaming/downloading path, and were so disappointed they almost necked themselves.

They've stopped now being audiophiles and listening to music seriously any more, they just use it now for background music or watch TV other times.

Just get a great CD Transport and Dac  and keep your thousands of CD's

Cheers George  

Edited by georgehifi

I too would counsel against selling your CDs. For several reasons: you'll get a pittance (if you get anything at all); as an earlier post said, you can rip them, put them on a hard drive and stream them (amazing how great it is to pluck any song out of the thousands you own and tell your stereo to play it via your phone); and eventually pulling out a CD to read the liner notes as you play it will be an enjoyable novelty.

And I would encourage you to stream. In nearly all instance paying a bit more for CD or CDplus quality on Tidal is worth it. There are many players – Roon is but one. If you go down the streaming path, no need to stump up for Roon immediately. You can always do it later.

Of the various players I have used, the one I like the best, for quite a few different reasons, is the app that Auralic provides free with its hardware. I can play Tidal quite a few ways – my favourite is via Auralic's players. It even tells you on screen at a glance what the file type/rates are. Good luck with it all. 

Writing that just prompted me to play some music. So I went to Tidal on my Auralic app. I was astonished to see a version of Holst's The Planets with  SACD  in the title. I am even more astonished that I went to the associated files they are listed as .dff – yes, DSD files. And they are now actually playing! This is news to me. I just did a quick Google and can not see anywhere that Tidal supports DSD streaming. As far as I know, no one does. But that's what my app says I'm listening to. The title, if anyone is keen, is Holst The Planets Lloyd-Jones [DSD SACD]. (Bit off topic, but hey...) 

Silly me. The app tricked me again, reverting the search from Tidal to My Music. So no, no DSD Tidal. But DSD NAS streaming on playback within Auralic app. (Insert embarrassed emoji here.)

Goodaye

l have all my Cd's ripped to the Computer and run a DAC to the stereo, convenient and high res.

CD's are all in storage.

regards Bruce

Basic streaming would seem easy and convenient to me.

Hirez streaming of some kind needs another set of costs and requirements.

Looks like another string in the bow to use at the level desired.

Keep your CD collection, no question.

My preferred medium these days is vinyl, but with that out-of-the-way, I would never sell off my CD collection for next to nothing.

IMNSHO, I have never known a streamer that matches the SQ of a decent CD player, although I am sure there may be some mega buck models which may be as  good. 

I am not actually opposed to streaming at all, but I see it as a radio station controlled by you for casual listening.

I also think it is a useful tool to discover new music and to determine if you either like or dislike some music you have not heard before.

The main problem with streaming is that you never own a physical copy and large corporations do not want this to happen anyway. They just want your monthly subscription forever.

If you keep your physical media you can have the best of both worlds so in my own case, I am going ( at some point ) to try streaming as a discovery tool and background music for when I CBF firing up the turntable or picking out a particular album.

47 minutes ago, rantan said:

My preferred medium these days is vinyl, but with that out-of-the-way, I would never sell off my CD collection for next to nothing.

IMNSHO, I have never known a streamer that matches the SQ of a decent CD player, although I am sure there may be some mega buck models which may be as  good. 

I am not actually opposed to streaming at all, but I see it as a radio station controlled by you for casual listening.

I also think it is a useful tool to discover new music and to determine if you either like or dislike some music you have not heard before.

The main problem with streaming is that you never own a physical copy and large corporations do not want this to happen anyway. They just want your monthly subscription forever.

If you keep your physical media you can have the best of both worlds so in my own case, I am going ( at some point ) to try streaming as a discovery tool and background music for when I CBF firing up the turntable or picking out a particular album.

A streamer into your favourite DAC of choice should match any CD player IMO.

I notice that quite a few CD players have a digital input or two these days.

You have not mentioned digital downloads which you do own.

Some of these have different and superior mastering to the CD version and some are "Hi Res" so you can feel good about the extra ones and zeros. 😏

If you really want to preserve your CD collection then rip them to HDD and backup to multiple drives and possibly to the cloud.

My digital music collection from CD's and Downloads is backed up three times with at least one offsite so if all of my CD's are stolen or destroyed or the entire house destroyed I've still got the lot.

Having and keeping all of your digital music files well tagged into Genre, Artist, Album is key to the ongoing enjoyment of them.

Edited by Satanica

47 minutes ago, rantan said:

IWIKWTFYATA................No, all good @rantan. Your attitude to the streaming services matches mine precisely, they're a great place to find new music and, whilst you await the delivery of your physical copy, provide a level of access that is the modern day equivalent of a headphone bar in a record shop. Does anyone else remember both of those?

14 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

IWIKWTFYATA................

An interesting internet acronym that I have not seen before,although I think I have deciphered its meaning without cheating.

I wish I knew what the fcuk you are talking about.

Yes?:)

Edit: FIGJAM:lol:

Edited by rantan

55 minutes ago, rantan said:

An interesting internet acronym that I have not seen before,although I think I have deciphered its meaning without cheating.

I wish I knew what the fcuk you are talking about.

Yes?:)

Edit: FIGJAM:lol:

Got it in one @rantan, well done.

FIGJAM? fcuk I'm good ? ? ?