bitchick

How to hide speaker cable?

Hi all

I will be moving soon to a new place and foresee placing speakers on a polished timber floor with no option other than speaker cable on the floor.  What do people generally use as an economical solution to cover the cables - both to prevent tripping and to camouflage?

currently using a cowhide, previously, nothing

Hoping for something a little more minimal than a cowhide

7 minutes ago, ****ick said:

Hoping for something a little more minimal than a cowhide

Wait until they are on sale at Spotlight.

Buy the fattest, white cable you can find and show them off.......unless you can get under the floor, otherwise nothing.

Thanks Steffan, some of the products on that list look like a sensible solution.

When my cables go pass doors I use gaffa tape.

Stump

A little more radical and permanent, but if you are happy that your speaker placements are correct and going to remain that way for a long time, I have drilled a 13mm hole through the wooden floor and routed the cables under the floor, BUT this only works if you are on base floor, stumps and not a slab (the latter could be a real pain) 😂

Even better if for those who have carpet fitted as the carpet provides an invisible cover for the whole (which I hasten to add should be sealed afterwards to stop spiders and mice etc)

2 minutes ago, cookster said:

A little more radical and permanent, but if you are happy that your speaker placements are correct and going to remain that way for a long time, I have drilled a 13mm hole through the wooden floor and routed the cables under the floor, BUT this only works if you are on base floor, stumps and not a slab (the latter could be a real pain) 😂

Even better if for those who have carpet fitted as the carpet provides an invisible cover for the whole (which I hasten to add should be sealed afterwards to stop spiders and mice etc)

LOL - you are a more committed audiophile than me I think !!

Hi all

I will be moving soon to a new place and foresee placing speakers on a polished timber floor with no option other than speaker cable on the floor.  What do people generally use as an economical solution to cover the cables - both to prevent tripping and to camouflage?

Is this new place your own place or a rental, and why do you need to hide them?

Behind or along the skirting boards is an option.

If the floor hasn't been laid yet, you could look at flat speaker cable underneath the flooring.

On 22/08/2019 at 10:21 PM, steffanth said:

This is what I used.  I attached it to the floor in front of the skirting board for the length of the wall so that it looks more like skirting trim.  I cut holes in the cover so the speaker cable can have appropriate exit points. 

BTW, Bunnings sell it as "trunking".