Cheap portable DVD players Laser PT-7C player

( 'Laser" PT-7C player )

Decided my mobile phone is an excessive point for viewing the ad hoc small videos and concept test, it runs down the battery fast !

So i decided to get hold of a cheap portable DVD player, of is just a nice concept in travel or entertainment EXCEPT

AND HERE IT IS , the codecs for the device are more than generously in the favor of the maker not the user although extremely common, well... actually more of a common sense system.

So i bought one, not that cheap easily for the trouble it has to be used.

1. It numbers every file o to whatever number onward and has no directory tree manipulation , simply a remote control with around 50 buttons and for the size of a 3 year old child's hands.

The little one, charging is 5 hours viewing is two hours.

The big one ! The instruction book talks about watching movies on it (as an audio visual device implies) , However the main thing it details is that apart only JPEG compression only , there are 5 file types approximately that hit and miss can be used DIVX with Xvid codec, AVI, mpeg 1 , mpeg 2  mpeg4 HOWEVER only one of these is true , that is Mpeg2 with 5.1 channel encoding(mpg2 audio) !

The main mistake the instruction book makes is talking and "comparing" the codecs it knows only ONE of them will operate MPEG2 encoded as JPEG with mpeg-Layer2 5.1 channel stereo surround sound.

Very misleading , it has taken me two solid days to re-do all my test USB disk movies.

Incidentally , WHERE THE HELL would you find copyrighted good movies on DVD encoded in JPEG-mpeg2 completely for sale or hire?

***Incidentally AVI and MPEG can be encoded in 24 bit BMP and other audio schemes.

Note; 'JPEG-mpeg2' simply means an MPEG encoded using JPEG  as the image system internally, really simply MPEG-2.

Incidentally, there was a good freeware converter called "Any Video Converter" does batch conversion i use from time to time can setup all these quirks so not much of a problem except the drag of doing it.

Edited by theoldnic