Dolby setup - Still effective?

Thanks for inputs the room is a reasonable size 6m x 5m. the screen would be on 5m wall. The seats would be 4.5 to 5m from the screen.

Thinking of a 140/150 screen.

I painted the room in sort of dark grey including the ceiling. Recently bought the Epson 9400 proj and for the last one month we are projecting on dark wall. Happy with quality of proj and the image. Expecting to be still better when we have the real screen which I am planning to have in next couple of weeks.

5 hours ago, Passin said:

Thanks for inputs the room is a reasonable size 6m x 5m. the screen would be on 5m wall. The seats would be 4.5 to 5m from the screen.

Thinking of a 140/150 screen.

I painted the room in sort of dark grey including the ceiling. Recently bought the Epson 9400 proj and for the last one month we are projecting on dark wall. Happy with quality of proj and the image. Expecting to be still better when we have the real screen which I am planning to have in next couple of weeks.

Go the 150" and in AT Scope if you can. I've got a slightly longer room at 6.7m (2 tier seating) and the screen is just right. Trial the different sizes - you might find on 16x9 content you'd like bigger.

Depending on what speakers/subs you are installing I suggest you go direct rather than dipole/bipole surrounds, and if you can find out the dispersion/radial pattern of the surrounds. The height position is just as crucial as the surround angles guided by Dolby.

I'm interested to know how your projector/screen setup goes. I'm on the hunt for a new projector and looking at the 9400/N7/570 proposition.

Let me know if you need help with other suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

i think he was referring to you asking " Do you recommend any modifications to the recommended setup to be more effective"

i think 5m from screen maybe a bit to close to your rears.. be flexible and experiment. is it just 1 row of seating?

Edited by hopefullguy
  • Like 1

On 22/08/2019 at 8:23 PM, Passin said:

Is the setup recommended by Dolby still effective? I am looking for a 7.1.4 set up. Do you recommend any modifications to the recommended setup to be more effective. thanks in adv.

dolby.JPG

At a guess, its an example of parts of the audio industry selling products which they must be sitting back in board rooms still amazed that people would continue to hand over money for. I am sorry to be harsh, but IMO  this is audio completely lost- in itself, with few apparent benefit for proper audio reproduction. 

Cinema experience is perhaps slightly different in approach to conventional stereo audio, but appears to have gone a bit too far IMO to sell something which is limited to very specific media, and therefore quite limiting, and needing better assessment for its validity in day to day use.   

If you can maybe compare the above...  to this for cinema , and let us know which is the better approach.  

Edited by stereo coffee

2 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

I am sorry to be harsh, but IMO  this is audio completely lost- in itself, with few apparent benefit for proper audio reproduction. 

"Multi-channel" audio is potentially much higher performance than 2... but there are big caveats.    The speakers need to be good (matched directivity and controlled directivity), and need to be positioned and calibrated accurately.

If you don't follow those caveats then it is usually objectively worse.

Subjectively, on the other hand.... "enjoyment" is complex.... and so a "crappy" but high-channel count, setup might be enjoyed by many.