Steffen

What to do with a broken subwoofer?

Posted (edited)

I've got a Wharfedale Powercube 12A that is overall in very good shape, and the driver looks pristine. However, the plate amp is broken.

I'm considering what to do with it. One option (the expensive one) would be buying something like the Dayton DSP250 plate amp, which seems to fit. Other options include using it as a passive sub (I'd have to make a crossover for it), or just using the 12" driver in a DIY sub. I kind of like the idea of making my own, because I could make it sealed, which I much prefer. On the other hand, I haven't done this before and have no idea what I'd be getting into.

What would you do?

Edited by Steffen

You could purchase something like a MiniDSP 2x4, leave the dud plate amp in place but attach an old/spare amp to the driver, and use the MiniDSP to cross over & eq the sub.

That would make your sub useable, and you would also have the capability to eq your mains. If you ever decided to upgrade the sub, you would still have the MiniDSP to use in your system. The only other requirement would be some means of measuring the system, ie a measurement microphone.

Cheers,

SS

1 hour ago, Sub Sonic said:

You could purchase something like a MiniDSP 2x4, leave the dud plate amp in place but attach an old/spare amp to the driver, and use the MiniDSP to cross over & eq the sub.

That would make your sub useable, and you would also have the capability to eq your mains. If you ever decided to upgrade the sub, you would still have the MiniDSP to use in your system. The only other requirement would be some means of measuring the system, ie a measurement microphone.

Cheers,

SS

Great suggestion.  The minidsp 2x4 optiion will give you the best flexibility overall to EQ the sub, set crossover etc.  I'd move that driver into a sealed box, passive with speaker outs connected to a 2 channel amp.  Get a cheap behringer pro amp to power it and run the inputs of the behringer to the output of the minidsp.

2 hours ago, Steffen said:

I've got a Wharfedale Powercube 12A that is overall in very good shape, and the driver looks pristine. However, the plate amp is broken.

I'm considering what to do with it. One option (the expensive one) would be buying something like the Dayton DSP250 plate amp, which seems to fit. Other options include using it as a passive sub (I'd have to make a crossover for it), or just using the 12" driver in a DIY sub. I kind of like the idea of making my own, because I could make it sealed, which I much prefer. On the other hand, I haven't done this before and have no idea what I'd be getting into.

What would you do?

You will also have to make the crossover/EQ filter for it, if you use the Dayton DSP amplifier.

You won't be able to make the crossover/EQ filters required for it using a passive network..... so you'll need some sort of external EQ (or an amp like the Dayton with adjustable filters built in).

"What would you do?"

Get someone to assess what is wrong with the amp (and fix it) and/or sell the driver and/or send the box to the tip.

I don't think there is much to be gained from fixing the amp, it looks like a cheap piece of junk. The driver and cabinet on the other hand seem to deserve better than being scrapped. But maybe that's just the hoarder in me...

14 hours ago, Steffen said:

I don't think there is much to be gained from fixing the amp, it looks like a cheap piece of junk. The driver and cabinet on the other hand seem to deserve better than being scrapped. But maybe that's just the hoarder in me...

The you'll have to figure out what if any EQ is built into the amp (surely not none) .... and then recreate that in (or in-line with) and amplifier ..... or, if you know better than WD, design your own.   :thumb:B)