Sign in to follow this  
Owen

4K DLP Rainbow Effect, Contrast etc.

On 19/08/2019 at 6:37 PM, Matt_Walker said:

Have you applied the firmware update yet?

The new iris settings makes a hell of a difference!

The native contrast of ALL so called "4K" DLP projection systems is significantly worse than the 1080 models they are supposed to replace.

Low native contrast is an inherent problem for ALL DLP projectors at ANY price, and the move to "4K" has has taken DLP contrast performance back 10 years or more.

Increasing the number of micro mirrors to get closer to, but never equal to "4K", introduces many more mirror edges to refract light and degrade contrast, nothing a dynamic iris system can do to fix that.

2 hours ago, Matt_Walker said:

I keep saying it - RBE (Rainbow Effect) is a thing of the past!

Rainbow effect will never be a "thing of the past" with single chip DLP systems because they are incapable of displaying more than one colour at a time, which is the reason for the rainbows. They MUST time share a single imaging chip to create the 3 primary colours. 

3 chip systems (LCD, SXRD, D-ILA) simply don't have that issue because that have a separate imaging chip for each of the 3 primary colours so display ALL colours simultaneously without issue. No rainbows are possible and the image is not fatiguing to the viewer.

The visibility of "rainbow effect" is also up to the individual, some people see it and others near will, its a personal thing. For those that are susceptible, single chip DLP will always be a potential problem with rainbows and viewer fatigue.

Commercial cinema projectors are often DLP because DLP is the most light efficient, which is critical for large venues where every lumen counts, however they use 3 MASSIVE imaging chips to achieve maximum light efficency and display all colours at once so no rainbows or viewer fatigue issues. 

Single chip DLP exists because it's "cheep", not because its good. Its the bottom of the projector world heap. You get what you pay for.

Yes I saw a 3 chip TRUE 4k DLP christie projector and it was a sight to behold 

That being the case Owen, why are so many reviewers raving about BenQ for instance and a bunch of awards picked up after excellent sales.

oh no.. you have just thrown fuel onto the fire.

this should be an interesting thread hehe

No too old for that but Im sure uncle Owen will be along shortly to put his slant on it all as he always does so well. Me well I'll see if I can find time to read it all, as I laze about on the ship I'm about to embark on.

28 minutes ago, EZYHD said:

as I laze about on the ship I'm about to embark on.

Hopefully you don't end up with a Darwin stubby in your hand after the cruise ends.