Is a cable balanced if it starts off with RCA?

I've got an electrician coming to check out the power point next week.

I think that Joz is correct - the hum appears when the sub is plugged into a different mains circuit.  If that's the case, try running a separate earth wire from the chassis of the system amplifier to a screw on the chassis of the sub amp.  This will prevent the difference in earth levels from running through the RCA cable connecting the amp to the sub.

I ended up getting rid of the hum by earthing from subs to ground pin on my preamp
IMG_0358.jpg

To answer that question. From some research I did a while ago balanced cable need to be fitted into balanced components at both ends. If it is converted to RCA at one end then it is the same as using an RCA cable.

Is a cable balanced if it starts off with RCA?

I've got an electrician coming to check out the power point next week.

7 hours ago, Dwizzle said:

To answer that question. From some research I did a while ago balanced cable need to be fitted into balanced components at both ends. If it is converted to RCA at one end then it is the same as using an RCA cable.

Thats what i thought.

Turns out the issue is 3 phase power in the house.... 

Looks like i'm going to have to run a long extension cable to another power point..

Bugger.

I have had a similar and as yet unresolved problem.

running a paradigm sub 1 via balanced input from an emotica XMC-1 (had same issue with previous denon unblanced rca input to sub.

mine is a high pitched noise . . . .have tried different power points.....different cables............ tried to isolate by disconnecting all other equiptment and its still there (once it gets turned on anyway).  Has come down to  a dodgy plate amp but its not in warranty so im not willing to part with in excess of $1000 for a new amp  at this point in time.

It is a bit annoying though