Hi All.

I have a subwoofer that hums when I connect the rca cable.

I don’t think it’s a noisy amp because when the rca is not connected but the power is still on it’s dead quiet.

I am using pretty high quality cables. Also the previous subwoofer didn’t do this. The cable run is pretty long though.

Wondering if perhaps a wireless subwoofer kit might help.

Guest Karl Rand
1 hour ago, JOH1975 said:

It’s a berringer truth B2092A. I just got 4 of them for free!!!!

Four of them for free? Well, you can place two under your bed to add excitement to your  - - - - - - -

11 hours ago, JOH1975 said:

I’ve tried 2 RCA’s and both the same.

Maybe it’s the connector.

I’ve found an RCA to XLR cable so I’ve ordered that. We will see how that goes. They claim it’s balanced (whatever the hell that means) emoji16.png

Balanced audio divides the audio waveform into a negative half and a

positive half with earth separate so is at advantage explained here, to reject noise.  

However it is NOT the only way of rejecting noise in audio systems. The problem is very few audio systems have exclusively balanced source, attenuator and power amplifier devices, rather unbalanced invariably gets mixed with balanced, requiring conversion.   

Opto coupling unbalanced audio signals, https://lunainc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/NSL-32SR3.pdf   rather solves the issue

entirely neatly at the attenuation point between source and power

amp, bringing into question the need for using balanced audio

equipment in domestic audio systems. 

Balanced though is entirely necessary in broadcast and recording

studios's where excessively long cable runs exist. 

Edited by stereo coffee

2 hours ago, Karl Rand said:

Four of them for free? Well, you can place two under your bed to add excitement to your  - - - - - - -

to add excitement to my bedroom home cinema.... That's what you mean right?

They are actually a very tuneful, tight and fast subwoofer. I'm very impressed. Much much better than my Richter 10".

Guest Karl Rand
4 minutes ago, JOH1975 said:

to add excitement to my bedroom home cinema.... That's what you mean right?

They are actually a very tuneful, tight and fast subwoofer. I'm very impressed. Much much better than my Richter 10".

I’m devoted to my Velodyne DD15’s but that could be because I had real problems with a number of full range speakers. If I positioned them so that imaging was spot on the bass was crap. If I positioned them so the bass was well sorted the imaging fell apart. 

Guest Karl Rand
10 minutes ago, JOH1975 said:

Moved the sub to another spot on the room and a different power point and the noise is gone.
Wife ain’t gonna like it though.

This hints there’s something's not correct with the earthing &/or polarity of the wiring in your house. I’d have an electrician check the outlets purely on safety grounds . 

15 hours ago, Karl Rand said:

This hints there’s something's not correct with the earthing &/or polarity of the wiring in your house. I’d have an electrician check the outlets purely on safety grounds . 

13 hours ago, JOH1975 said:

That could be totally correct. It’s an old house. We had some work down stairs and there was lots of changes needed to made to find earths.

12 hours ago, joz said:

Could be an earth loop you’re experiencing due to the sub being on a different circuit?

I had the exact same problem. A horrible hum from one sub.

I fixed it by plugging the sub into my Hi Fi circuit rather than the separate one and moving the sub closer to the processor. 

The problem is I try to keep all SMPS's off the Hi Fi circuit so it really defeats the purpose of having separate circuits.

I get the impression that a really long run of unbalanced cable will be more prone to hum than balanced. I had a 10m run.

I think that Joz is correct - the hum appears when the sub is plugged into a different mains circuit.  If that's the case, try running a separate earth wire from the chassis of the system amplifier to a screw on the chassis of the sub amp.  This will prevent the difference in earth levels from running through the RCA cable connecting the amp to the sub.

To answer that question. From some research I did a while ago balanced cable need to be fitted into balanced components at both ends. If it is converted to RCA at one end then it is the same as using an RCA cable.

Is a cable balanced if it starts off with RCA?

I've got an electrician coming to check out the power point next week.

7 hours ago, Dwizzle said:

To answer that question. From some research I did a while ago balanced cable need to be fitted into balanced components at both ends. If it is converted to RCA at one end then it is the same as using an RCA cable.

Thats what i thought.

Turns out the issue is 3 phase power in the house.... 

Looks like i'm going to have to run a long extension cable to another power point..

Bugger.