ALDI vinyl

9 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Given the good sound quality, I wonder if the the LP was mastered from the CD source, which would make it a pirate given the official Island CD release.

They all say "re-mastered for vinyl" whatever that means.   On the Elvis record some tracks sound as good as any copies of those same tracks that I have on other records and CDs, possibly better, but that's a hard call.

9 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

They all say "re-mastered for vinyl" whatever that means...

"Re-mastered for vinyl" means that the master tape/digital file (whatever source/generation they have) is adjusted (levels, compression, filtering) for optimum cutting and record playback (eg. making sure that the groove does not have excessive modulations that cause the styli to jump out of the groove). plus the required RIAA equialisation. 

Every record is "remastered for vinyl", just like every CD has been "remastered for CD".  It's part of the process to prepare for manufacturing.  They put the statement on the sleeve as a marketing ploy to suggest that it's been remastered to sound better than previous releases, however, we all know that many remasterings of records and CDs produce poorer quality sound than the predecessor releases. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

Thanks to this thread I picked up on this and have now been in communication with ARIA and ALDI.

ARIA are talking with Music Rights Australia and investigating further, while ALDI have promised me an official comment.

• Like 12

On 21/08/2019 at 4:10 PM, metal beat said:

They are called Bootlegs.      Someone should call ARIA and have Aldi shut down and stop selling them

stay away and support the artist not crooks.

That is a theory surely (?). I have bought genuine Sony LP's from ALDI.....and I don't want them 'shut down' for a few potentially 'bodgy' records. They sell much more than that....most of it Australian produce.

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, rantan said:

100% correct.

I hate Aldi anyway and this is just one more reason to avoid them forever.

Shut down sounds great to me.

Why? They support Australian produce more than those frauds at Coles and Woolworths......is this about the 2nd world war??

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Thanks to this thread I picked up on this and have now been in communication with ARIA and ALDI.

ARIA are talking with Music Rights Australia and investigating further, while ALDI have promised me an official comment.

Well, that will be interesting. Could be some embarrassed 'experts' on here.....we'll see.?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

That is a theory surely (?). I have bought genuine Sony LP's from ALDI.....and I don't want them 'shut down' for a few potentially 'bodgy' records. They sell much more than that....most of it Australian produce.

Guns and Roses/ Bruce Springsteen is a bootleg - plain and simple.  ARIA was certainly very interested in pursuing it.

If we all lived in the world of ALDI, all profits would go overseas to Germany, there would be no more real brands - only dodgy copied home brands of Aldi and all product would be sourced from the cheapest possible parts of the world.   

ALDI are bottom feeders imo and the worst example of where our retail market might head towards in the future if enough people buy into this model.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

A lot of Australians can't afford to be so moral....and I don't say that to offend at all?....it's just a reality for some in this 'lucky country'. You have to remember that with Aldi, 95% of those 'copied' brands are Australian made, possibly helping many smaller Australian producers (fresh and packaged) to survive or even thrive. I think they are keeping the very questionable Coles and Woolworths on their toes....someone has to reign in those two local retailers and their frankly 'dodgy' practices that often squeeze local producers into submission.....my two cents worth.?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, stevoz said:

A lot of Australians can't afford to be so moral....and I don't say that to offend at all?....it's just a reality for some in this 'lucky country'. You have to remember that with Aldi, 95% of those 'copied' brands are Australian made, possibly helping many smaller Australian producers (fresh and packaged) to survive or even thrive. I think they are keeping the very questionable Coles and Woolworths on their toes....someone has to reign in those two local retailers and their frankly 'dodgy' practices that often squeeze local producers into submission.....my two cents worth.?

Steve, not saying Woolworth or Coles are any better - but they are Australian companies.  Unfortunately they screw lots of primary producers and suppliers due to their huge market share  - that is the fault of government and lack of regulations.

the state of the retail grocery market is quite sad in reality compared to other countries, its against the law for two companies to control 85%+ of the market - its predatory.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevoz said:

possibly helping many smaller Australian producers (fresh and packaged) to survive or even thrive.

Not possibly - definitely.  They are dying off after being screwed by Woolworths et al.

7 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I think they are keeping the very questionable Coles and Woolworths on their toes....someone has to reign in those two local retailers and their frankly 'dodgy' practices that often squeeze local producers into submission.....my two cents worth.?

completely agree, but I also buy IGA :)

2 minutes ago, metal beat said:

not saying Woolworth or Coles are any better - but they are Australian companies.  Unfortunately they screw lots of primary producers and suppliers due to their huge market share  - that is the fault of government and lack of regulations.

Isn't that the fault of Woolworth's and Coles ?     I wonder what the figures on tax paid in Australia by these three look like side by side... I mean properly compared, not what the sensationalist media say.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

completely agree, but I also buy IGA :)

Our local is an IGA so I have to shop there but they can be expensive.....some locals want an Aldi in town to give the local Maxi IGA some competition!?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Steve, not saying Woolworth or Coles are any better - but they are Australian companies.  Unfortunately they screw lots of primary producers and suppliers due to their huge market share  - that is the fault of government and lack of regulations.

the state of the retail grocery market is quite sad in reality compared to other countries, its against the law for two companies to control 85%+ of the market - its predatory.

Woolies and Coles are publicly traded companies with significant foreign investment.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Our local is an IGA so I have to shop there but they can be expensive.....some locals want an Aldi in town to give the local Maxi IGA some competition!?

IGA always seem to be cheaper on chips and biscuits vs the big companies - not sure why :)   just shows how much we are ripped off.

And IGA sell Fountain tomato sauce in a glass bottle!!    Cole or Woolies don't??

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, metal beat said:

oth are available for ALL Australian's to invest in.   Is ALDI?

does this matter as much as what employment opportunites they provide in Australia, what they buy from other Australian companies, and what tax they pay here - the real effects on the local economy?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

does this matter as much as what employment opportunites they provide in Australia, what they buy from other Australian companies, and what tax they pay here - the real effects on the local economy?

ALDI buys more from Australian companies than Coles or Woolworths?   Really?? 

13% - ALDI runs a very poor last place.

https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/packaging-labelling-and-advertising/labelling/articles/supermarket-country-of-origin-labelling

Looking for evidence of local sourcing

We looked at a subset of 240 products – 60 different product types each with product representation from a market-leading brand and an equivalent Aldi, Coles and Woolworths brand – to see if local sourcing was evident from the label.

At first glance, it appeared that 80% of market-leading brand groceries in the sample were sourced locally, compared with 69% from Woolworths, 67% from Coles and 63% from Aldi. But once you eliminated all those that were simply 'packed in', 'processed in' or 'made in' Australia, you were left with a much smaller proportion you could be confident were sourced predominantly from local suppliers based on their country of origin statements – just 41% of Coles, 39% of Woolworths, 31% of market leaders, and 13% of Aldi products in our snapshot. 

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

Amazon Australia also appear to sell bootleg vinyl, some live pearl jam records. Same would apply as above with no funds going back to artist.

i think the supplier/dodgy record label use public broadcasts, radio or something as not to have to get a license for the release? Huge guess though! 

I dont buy pirate albums, arh, but have owned the odd bootleg of a live album here and there

• Like 1