Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
aussievintage

ALDI vinyl

Recommended Posts

Aldi have records for sale this week  https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-wed-21-august/wednesday-detail-wk34/ps/p/vinyl-records-1/

 

I bought a few just to see what this "Musicbank" label is like.  I just put the Frank Sinatra album on, and it actually sounds quite good.  Nice quiet, thick vinyl.  The sound is very much like the original Capitol recordings of the era - not bad.     Will report back after I play some more.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are called Bootlegs.      Someone should call ARIA and have Aldi shut down and stop selling them

 

stay away and support the artist not crooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really?      I am surprised.  They actually have fine print on the cover saying they have licensed the music for home use.

 

Oh well....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Aldi stuff, off to check them out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


42 minutes ago, metal beat said:

They are called Bootlegs.      Someone should call ARIA and have Aldi shut down and stop selling them

 

stay away and support the artist not crooks.

100% correct.

I hate Aldi anyway and this is just one more reason to avoid them forever.

 

Shut down sounds great to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my brother got me 3 items a few years back when they did a similar sale. They were all legit releases and without fault. 

 

 

 

AC/DC Back In Black

Album, LP, Reissue, Remastered
Columbia 5107651, Albert Productions 5107651, Sony Music 5107651
2009

 

Kings Of Leon Only By The Night

2 x Vinyl, Album, LP
RCA 88697 32712 1, Sony BMG Music Entertainment 88697 32712 1
2008

 

Bruce Springsteen Born In The U.S.A.

Album, LP, Reissue, Remastered
Columbia QC 38653
2015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possible euro pressings of public domain  out of Copyright stuff ?

A lot of that around.

Edited by eman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I am still not convinced.  It seems Musicbank was a UK or European company, and the label and sleeve has the MCPS logo.   Really should be legit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I contacted ARIA licensing today and they have already replied on email. 

 

they are taking this issue up this tomorrow with Music Rights Australia to stop Aldi selling this unlicenseded crap

http://www.musicrights.com.au/

 

btw - Guns and Roses is not out of copyright, it is stealing plain and simple.

 

DO THE RIGHT THING AND DO NOT BUY FROM ALDI.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

I am still not convinced.  It seems Musicbank was a UK or European company, and the label and sleeve has the MCPS logo.   Really should be legit.

 

if it makes you feel better, you can think its legit -   Anyone with half a brain would know its suspect at the very least.   

 

Guns and Roses have licensed their songs to Musicbank incorporated out of HK on a UK shelf company - give me break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I contacted ARIA licensing today and they have already replied on email. 

 

they are taking this issue up this tomorrow with Music Rights Australia to stop Aldi selling this unlicenseded crap

http://www.musicrights.com.au/

 

btw - Guns and Roses is not out of copyright, it is stealing plain and simple.

 

DO THE RIGHT THING AND DO NOT BUY FROM ALDI.

 

 

📣

 

Could not agree more. Thanks for contacting ARIA. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, rantan said:

📣

 

Could not agree more. Thanks for contacting ARIA. Cheers.

I look forward to the headlines :)       However, if this stuff isn't legit, what about all those CDs and DVDs in Reject and Dollars and Sense and Crazy Clark etc.   They never do anything about them, but they've been selling them for years.   btw.  I did see some vinyl in these stores recently too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Guns and Roses have licensed their songs to Musicbank incorporated out of HK on a UK shelf company - give me break.

MCPS? According to wikipedia  "MCPS also represents songwriters, composers and music publishers – representing their mechanical rights, and collects royalties whenever their music is reproduced as a physical product – this includes CDs, DVDs, digital downloads and broadcast or online."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRS_for_Music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phew have to be quick, got my copy of frankie this arvo...I did it my wayyyyy!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always shop at ALDI. 5 minutes from me. Stuff Coles and Woolworths. Buy my meat from a butcher and buy second hand Vinyl usually. Except for the Latest RSD Four Way Street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

I always shop at ALDI. 5 minutes from me. Stuff Coles and Woolworths.

exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a test for anyone who says the record companies are looking out for the artists, as compared to, say, looking out for themselves.

 

Did the wronged party in the Men At Work Kookaburra Land Down Under case, ever get a cent of the money the court said was due to them?

 

Last thing I heard was that somehow the money got stuck in the clutches of their own record company, like a lolly wrapper stuck on a fingertip.

 

Maybe the company weren't shaking their fingers very hard. 

 

Bit of a shame, considering several people believe the dispute contributed to Greg Ham's early death.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Record Companies behave exactly the same way as Banks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

I always shop at ALDI. 5 minutes from me. Stuff Coles and Woolworths. Buy my meat from a butcher and buy second hand Vinyl usually. Except for the Latest RSD Four Way Street.

I buy meat from Aldi too, but only the stuff that is out of copyright :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Really?      I am surprised.  They actually have fine print on the cover saying they have licensed the music for home use.

Oh well....

The fine print is convincing, isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, audiofeline said:

The fine print is convincing, isn't it?

Both that, and the use of the mcps logo/label make it look legit.  It would be fairly blatent is it were all lies.

 

 Not sure how obligated customers, and even Aldi themselves are, when it comes to researching the claims.  Maybe the fault lies upstream somewhere.  Can you query mcps to see if the fees have been paid? They might well have been, even the Gun's and Roses' record is just a live concert and maybe they decided to let others release it and just collect the royalties, if that's how it works.

 

I am interested to know what ARIA do about @metal beat's report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

... Not sure how obligated customers, and even Aldi themselves are, when it comes to researching the claims.  Maybe the fault lies upstream somewhere...

The manufacturers, importers, distributors and retailers all have a legal obligation to ensure they operate ethically.  That's why there are laws which can prosecute all of them.  They are in place in order to protect the consumer, who, in Australia, should be confident to make purchases which are all legit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just purchased the Bob Marley LP.

Excellent recording and some great playing.

Appears  to be widely available on the net.

 https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Marley-And-The-Wailers-Live-Boston-Music-Hall-June-8th-1978/release/11950881

 

And looks like it was first released on CD by Island as Easy Skanking in Boston 78.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Skanking_in_Boston_'78

 

I would not buy a Pirated copy of a standard Lp but I do own several Bootleg,  Live recordings ,so if this is a Live Bootleg I can't say it bothers me that much. 

Will probably buy the CD now to get the extra tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

Just purchased the Bob Marley LP.

Excellent recording and some great playing.

Appears  to be widely available on the net.

 https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Marley-And-The-Wailers-Live-Boston-Music-Hall-June-8th-1978/release/11950881

 

And looks like it was first released on CD by Island as Easy Skanking in Boston 78.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Skanking_in_Boston_'78

...

Given the good sound quality, I wonder if the the LP was mastered from the CD source, which would make it a pirate given the official Island CD release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...