Opinions on various turntables $500-$800 please.

G'day Folks.

Looking at a couple of options for turntables for sale at around $500-$800, and hoping some of you may have some opinions about these...

Denon VL12 Prime Professional DJ Turntable

denon-vl12-prime-professional-dj-turntab

from $1,000 down to $795 at Vinyl Revival - Victoria.  I can lay-by at $100 per week.

Waiting for reply email about Cart & Stylus.

Thorens TD170 EV Fully Automatic Turntable with preamp | Warranty Included

Refurbished · Thorens - Ortofon OM10 with genuine elliptical stylus fitted.    $495 from HiFiClearance on ebay

s-l1600.jpg

Will post 'em as I find 'em.

Regards & Thanks in advance.
Ant.
Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

If you’re looking for a direct-drive DJ style turntable, personally I find the Denon a bit lairy and would go for a Reloop instead eg:

https://djcity.com.au/product/reloop-rp-7000mk2-dj-turntable-black/

https://djcity.com.au/product/reloop-rp-7000gldmk2-direct-drive-scratch-gold-dj-turntable/

Excellent robust turntables for the dollars. I have a pair of the Mark 1 models and they are a very good thing.  At the asking price, these leaves a few hundred bucks for a reasonable cart.

There are many other belt-drive tables out there within your budget (including some from Reloop) but I know bugger-all about them, so I’ll leave the discussion to the true vinyl junkies out there. 

• Like 2

I'd buy a Reloop RP7000 Mk2. It's a super OEM Hanpin without the circa $1,000 price tag.  Use the money saved to buy an Funk Firm Achromat, good quality interconnects, a Schitt Mini Phono Preamp and an LP Gear A3SE cart.  I just set this up for my sister and it is very close to my KAB modified Technics SL1200 M5G... It kicks serious butt.

• Like 4

When I daydream (often!) about getting a new turntable I keep coming back to the Audio-Technica LP5.

Direct drive but without the DJ features/bling and without the need to modify to bypass the built in phono that comes on some of the cheaper models of the super OEM decks.

When I was just looking I noticed storedj have the stanton with straight tonearm on sale for half price - https://www.storedj.com.au/stanton-str8150m2-direct-drive-professional-super-high-torque-turntable-straight-tonearm - which would be tempting if I could get over the number of times they've written the brand name on the thing.

Edited by hochopeper
  • Like 2

@PeteMac  @nkoulban  @hochopeper

Awesome, Thanks guys.

I'm not necessarily requiring a DJ Deck, the Denon I posted was after looking at a vintage Denon deck posted for sale here on SNA a short while back, and I fell in love at first sight, I was shattered when I missed buying it by a couple of hours when I was working.

I listed it here as it was on sale, being $200 off.

I listen to a lot of Rock and Metal, a little Electronic and some Classical now and then.

Do you think a DJ deck would suit my styles of music?

I do like the Reloop and Stanton decks.  I also like the minimal look of the Audio-Technica deck, but I tend to steer away from that brand as they sell them at JB HiFi.  Any thoughts there?

PS - I was an aspiring DJ many years ago after being introduced to the clubbing world at The Underground in Kings Cross.  I bought a Denon DJ CD deck, which I still have in storage, and enjoyed practising very much.  I only ever played one gig on NYE in Hungary where I bombed atrociously.  I still turn red with embarrassment just thinking about it.

Regards.

Ant.

• Like 2

On 21/08/2019 at 5:57 AM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

@PeteMac  @nkoulban  @hochopeper

Awesome, Thanks guys.

I'm not necessarily requiring a DJ Deck, the Denon I posted was after looking at a vintage Denon deck posted for sale here on SNA a short while back, and I fell in love at first sight, I was shattered when I missed buying it by a couple of hours when I was working.

I listed it here as it was on sale, being $200 off.

I listen to a lot of Rock and Metal, a little Electronic and some Classical now and then.

I do like the Reloop and Stanton decks.  I also like the minimal look of the Audio-Technica deck, but I tend to steer away from that brand as they sell them at JB HiFi.  Any thoughts there?

PS - I was an aspiring DJ many years ago after being introduced to the clubbing world at The Underground in Kings Cross.  I bought a Denon DJ CD deck, which I still have in storage, and enjoyed practising very much.  I only ever played one gig on NYE in Hungary where I bombed atrociously.  I still turn red with embarrassment just thinking about it.

Regards.

Ant.

Been using a  Audio-Technica LP120 for seven years love it perfect for punk/metal/jazz/electronic and reggae cant comment on classical though 

• Like 2

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 7:57 AM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Regards.

Ant.

There's no reason why you couldn't use one - with a good cart they can sound pretty good.

Many of the Audio Technicas are made by Hanpin who also make the Reloops and a great many turntables currently on the market.

I must admit that I haven't yet tried the Reloops in my main rig - they are only put into action when I want to pretend that I'm still young ;)

reloop2.jpg

• Like 4

A couple more I’m sniffing around...

Rega Planar 1

BAAEFD4C-5F17-4439-A32F-CA4F2C42D22F.jpeg.49936b2f99c058e6a16b6479b2fe6548.jpeg

$495 at The Audio Tailor.

PRO-JECT DEBUT CARBON ESPRIT SB TURNTABLE WITH ORTOFON 2M RED CARTRIDGE

4BDEA1BE-F901-4F56-BA5D-46C318F64188.jpeg.fa02fb2ee98ba613ed91ed8c5ab249ac.jpeg

Available in other colours, would never buy yellow.

$716 at Melbourne HiFi.  May upgrade to Ortofon Blue.

I really like the minimal look of these two, especially the Pro-ject acrylic platter.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

25 minutes ago, The Rock Puppy said:

Cast an eye over the range of turntables at Selby (selby.com.au). They have lots of stuff in the price range you're looking at. Give you an idea of what's out there.

Hey mate, was wondering what a ‘cat an eye’ was.

Thanks for the tip, difficult to make a decision with so much available.

Ant.

59 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Any thoughts on this one, seems a real bargain...

Music Hall MMF 2.2     $289 from Selby Acoustics, Melbourne - RRP $649

961918482_MusicHallMMF2.2.jpg.adac3bf9a95b1e13ff0972ff1affc58c.jpg

Seems like a great price for a worthy performer Ant. I just read this review ; https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/music-hall-mmf-22-turntable and it has a bit of background on the unit (made in same Czech republic factory as Project TT's, Project tonearm, improved 4 pt bearing etc).

The reviewer is impressed with the 2.2's sound: " The first thing that struck me with the Music Hall MMF 2.2 was how utterly listenable it was. Playing an old copy of James Taylor's 'Hello Old Friend' I was taken back by the overall dynamic nature of what I was hearing. Imaging was solid and the sound was very musical."

......and this " In fact, the more I listened to the MMF 2.2, the more I found myself just sitting back and enjoying the music. It stopped being about detail retrieval or sheer transparency and just became fun!"

......and " Pulling out an old copy of Nat King Cole's 'Unforgettable' LP showed just how competent the MMF 2.2 actually was........ Summarising, the Music Hall just sounded right, from the strings, to Cole's baritone vocal, it was just as enjoyable as the first time I'd heard it. In fact, track to track, side to side and disc to disc, the MMF 2.2 played everything I threw at it with confidence and wasn't daunted by the fact it was a 'budget' deck."

His conclusion: " The Music Hall MMF 2.2 is another shining example of (quality, affordable hi fi). It delivers great performance, looks better than most budget decks and is just plain fun to listen to. Marry it up with a halfway decent phono stage and I could see it delivering many happy years of enjoyment."

Here's another review which concludes:

"The MMF 2.2 is a superb, reliable, quiet-running machine that seamlessly reproduces music as it was meant to sound. If you’re interested in fancy looks, exotic designs, and esoteric touches (along with the headaches some of those attributes can bring), then look elsewhere. But, for $US300, it’s hard to imagine finding a more pleasant treat for your records – and your ears.

Highly recommended. 5 out of 5."

https://www.devotedtovinyl.com/music-hall-mmf-2-2-review/

At that bargain price, surely worth considering......good luck with it Ant.?

Edited by stevoz

4 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Are you going to tell everyone Ant??

PS: There's also the "What in Analogue Have You Bought Today' thread to consider.?

Thought I should wait until it arrived, but no harm in letting everyone know.

Stevoz is referring to my purchase today of the Music Hall MMF 2.2 pictured above in earlier post.  Less than half the RRP.

Posting next on the "What in Analogue Have You Bought Today" thread.

Cheers everyone for all your valuable help. 

Ant.

On 20/08/2019 at 10:12 PM, hochopeper said:

When I daydream (often!) about getting a new turntable I keep coming back to the Audio-Technica LP5.

Direct drive but without the DJ features/bling and without the need to modify to bypass the built in phono that comes on some of the cheaper models of the super OEM decks.

When I was just looking I noticed storedj have the stanton with straight tonearm on sale for half price - https://www.storedj.com.au/stanton-str8150m2-direct-drive-professional-super-high-torque-turntable-straight-tonearm - which would be tempting if I could get over the number of times they've written the brand name on the thing.

Seems like a bargain. Would be interesting to see how a DJ table goes. Looks like that can accomodate snap in cartridges?

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

Seems like a bargain. Would be interesting to see how a DJ table goes. Looks like that can accomodate snap in cartridges?

Indeed a bargain, it was second on my list today.  I preferred the minimal look of the MMF 2.2, although only available in red, which actually fits with my décor.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 1

I was considering the Denon VL12 for a while. I found the fact that it wasn't another SL1200 clone quite appealing. It was available in the US for quite a while before it was here. Whilst it got good reviews in the press, reviews from purchasers weren't so positive. A lot of people were saying it felt cheap and flimsy. Anyway, I never ended up getting one. Has the OP considered an Audio Technica LP- 1240? $400 less than a PLX-1000 and more features. 

Thanks @blakey72;  Indeed I have been thinking about such an upgrade after looking at the Pro-ject Carbon Debut decks that come with a 2M Red.  The Music Hall MMF 2.2 comes with a Pre-mounted & aligned Music Hall Magic 2 (Moving Magnet) cartridge with elliptical stylus, so hopefully an upgrade to the Ortofon Blue is possible.

I've also fallen for the acrylic platters, which should be possible for the MMF as well.

Cheers.

Ant.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz