Sign in to follow this  
cwt

Emotiva XMC2 released

The replacement for the XMC1 is available now ; it should receive its upgraded dirac 2.0 very shortly as dirac has just released the latest API code for incorporation . Full 11ch parametric eq is available for those who want to use REW . Utilising the latest ADI griffin lite dual core chipsets its capable of atmos decoding up to 9.1.6 and it  uses its LCR+sub  AKM Dacs in dual mono mode [ not just fully balanced but utilising the stereo dacs dual cores  to give extra db's of s/n ratio]. The other channels are also dual differential balanced with the AKM dacs run in stereo mode instead for full common mode noise rejection ;
Note that there aren't any superfluous unbalanced rca main outputs or 7.1 multi analogue inputs like the XMC1 had ; Emo can supply unbalanced adapters if needed iirc

The XMC-2 uses the same audiophile quality AKM AK4490 32-Bit DACs as our flagship RMC-1, and provides the same sixteen channels of fully balanced audio output. The AK4490, which is already a superb fully differential stereo DACs, also offers a super-high-quality mode called mono mode. On the RMC-1, each of the sixteen output channels uses the DAC chip in this special mode, for the absolute ultimate in sound quality; on the XMC-2, the front three channels and main LFE outputs are operated in this mode, while the remaining channels use the AK4490 in its normal – and excellent sounding – stereo differential mode. The XMC-2 uses a single high quality graphical OLED display, and is operated by more traditional navigation interface.

https://emotiva.com/products/xmc-2

deleted

Edited by cwt
could be misconstrued as a commercial post

Any rumours on when (or if) Emo will get Dirac implemented on their processors? It has been so long since it was announced one has to wonder what issues they're encountering.

4 hours ago, thomaco said:

Any rumours on when (or if) Emo will get Dirac implemented on their processors? It has been so long since it was announced one has to wonder what issues they're encountering.

I just pulled the trigger on upgrading my XMC1 to a new XMC2. Dirac will be out mid March at the latest, they finally have it running and stable on the platform but needs a lot of the debug code removed before release. I believe they were at a public show last weekend and demo'ing Dirac running... It's close.

For all the details listen to the first 6mins of this podcast, very informative.

https://emotiva.com/blogs/info-hub-1/emotiva-audio-podcast-01-31-20

Edited by Rxw

Thanks for the update. Things were much more tight-lipped about the Dirac upgrade when I went looking a little while ago.

Anyone own a XMC2 provide some feedback on the unit in terms of:

• Interface - menus, is it slow?
  • Video switching? any issues?
  • Using Dirac 2.0, before/after, compared to previous processors with say Audyssey or ARC?
  • Other issues?

I'm interested in Dirac in 7.2.4 and how this can improve over my current Denon 6300H.

1 hour ago, WasM said:

Anyone own a XMC2 provide some feedback on the unit in terms of:

• Interface - menus, is it slow?

Slow as buggery.. We are talking 15 seconds between changes, that's the latests FW v1.9.. Really annoying 

But just heard it's fixed in beta testing of the next FW..  Will see

1 hour ago, WasM said:
  • Video switching? any issues?

That is reported to be not bad.. Most issues seem to be fixed with newer HDMI cables

1 hour ago, WasM said:
  • Using Dirac 2.0, before/after, compared to previous processors with say Audyssey or ARC?

Dirac is still not released for it, they had major issues with it and to invent a Raspberry Pi dongle to plug in to your network to convert info from the XMC-2 to your PC, only need to be in place while testing.. 

About 4 to 8 weeks away,  being sent out free of charge or included if you buy once it's released 

1 hour ago, WasM said:
  • Other issues?

There is a issue with DTS Neutral X playing up, not sending the right stuff to the right channels and sounding dull.. People are only just starting to find it, so might have been accidentally added to theast FW. I have noticed it with DTS CDs. Switching to Dolby Digital fixes it

I have an issue with my Fetch TV box losing sound when changing channels in and out of SBS.. Might be the Fetch, but it didn't happen with my Yamaha AVR and other have reported similar issues with other brands of TV boxes 

1 hour ago, WasM said:

I'm interested in Dirac in 7.2.4 and how this can improve over my current Denon 6300H.

No one can answer that as Dirac is not released. 

Have to say, as 2 ch pre-amp for music it is outstanding and multichannel SACDs are amazing 

I still haven't set mine up properly as I am. Waiting for Dirac 

It's a great sounding unit and Dirac gets great reviews on other units.. 

It's is worth $5.5k.. Dunno 

I got mine straight from the US with a 40% discount because our bought a processor of them years ago so it was about $3.3k landed with duty 

If they can sort the slow interface out I will be happy, it going to be a reasonable 2ch and HT pre which can be hard to do 

On 13/05/2020 at 9:57 PM, Hytram said:

Slow as buggery.. We are talking 15 seconds between changes, that's the latests FW v1.9.. Really annoying 

But just heard it's fixed in beta testing of the next FW..  Will see

v1.10 has just been released and it's a game changer.. 

It's a full rewrite of the OS, where before this it was based on the XMC-1 

The interface and switching delays have gone, it's fast. 

Some people have said the 2ch has gotten even better. 

I have be thinking of moving mine along or returning it under the 30 day money back guarantee once Dirac ships, but this is enough for me to say it will be staying 

Now bring on Dirac!