Hulgich Audio & Holton Precision Audio

Hulgich Audio & Holton Precision Audio

8pm Wednesday 21st August

Willis Room, City of Whitehorse Offices
Maroondah Highway (Whitehorse Road), Nunawading
Melway Map 48 Ref G9

This month we have two interstate companies joining forces to present their Hi Fi products at the MAC. Both have exhibited together at the Melbourne International Hi Fi Show, winning "Best of Show Overall" for 2017 as well as "Best New Comer".

Hulgich Audio is a new speaker company based in Adelaide headed by Nicolas Hulgich (pronounced Eu-Lich), who has spent more than twenty years in both Australia and his native Argentina building speakers with a variety of designs. He will be presenting to the club his statement speaker the 'Duke', with his in-house FTM (Feel The Music) speaker cable and interconnects.

The 'Duke' is a 3-way floor stander designed as a dual enclosure. The upper enclosure houses a 1.2 inch dimple dome tweeter, and a 6 inch midrange made of papyrus fibres. The lower bass enclosure is a ported design that houses a 10 inch woofer also made of papyrus fibres. Hulgich has designed the 'Duke' to have a huge sweet spot and a large sound stage. By applying 'Low Diffraction Baffle Technology' (LDBT) that insures a smooth frequency response whether sitting off or on axis, and 'Coherent Sound Technology'( CST) which provides driver time alignment and phase integration.

Nicolas will be playing his music with a modified OPPO 103 Multi-disc player and a AudioGD R8 Ladder Dac. Amplification is provided by Holton Precision Audio. Based in northern Tasmania, Anthony Holton has been designing and building high end amplifiers that have been demonstrated internationally at the 2018 Paris and Munich Hi-Fi Shows

Anthony will be demonstrating two stereo amplifiers on the night, the Holton One-Zero-Zero Supreme (2x120W into 8 Ohms), and the Five-Zero-Zero Supreme (2x500W into 4 Ohms) with the matching Gain Block One Preamp. On static display will be a Phono Pre, while a 'DC Blocker One' will be used to look after the AC mains. This audio grade conditioner removes DC and filters the noise from the mains.

With two presenters for the night, we are certainly going to have twice the value when it comes to sound quality. Not to be missed.

Nick Karayanis, Program Co-Ordinator.

Ken Tripp
Wise and Wonderful Webmaster
Melbourne Audio Club, Inc.

http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au

• Like 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Marc said:

Would have been a great reason to come, but unfortunately I still can't drive since my accident.

One day! :)

That's what Uber is for!  Although a bit exxy from yours to theirs return...

9 hours ago, Kaynin said:

That's what Uber is for!  Although a bit exxy from yours to theirs return...

45 minutes ago, Marc said:

Exactly! :)

Crowd funding perhaps??

I'll put in $2 ! ?

6 minutes ago, Aussieamps said:

I can tell you it was a great night, there were more people turned up than chairs.

Caught up with some old friends and listened to a great sound system.

What was other peoples impressions?

I loved it,  @Black Orange and I were enthralled by the dynamic natural sound emanating through the room.

The demo tracks were first class with Jessica Williams, Robert Cray, Laura Fygi ,Dean Martin and Ben Webster really highlighting the all rounder strengths of the Hulgichs and Holton 500 amp combo.

That A capella track, Just a closer walk with thee by The idea of North was sensational, and the midrange voicing such a lifelike vocal sound showed the dedication to extracting the absolute best from the Dukes.

The feel of the  air in Webster's saxophone was amazing - for me it was one of the best systems I've heard in the Willis room, which is a tough acoustic environment with bass nodes etc.

@Aussieamps Holton 500 I thought was a perfect match, around 300w or 500w into 4 Ohms seems to be a magic number with the Dukes.

Really appreciated Nick and Anthony dedicating their time , travel and effort to enlighten us  on a few Aussie products we can be very proud of !

Well done guys ! ?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I would like to thank everyone who attended our presentation. It was really a pleasant surprise to see that so many people have come to listen and meet both the Duke's and the products presented by Holton Audio.

I would also like to thank Nick Karyanis for being in all the details so that both those present and us have a very pleasant night.

There were people who asked me what songs we used in our presentation and as soon as I organized a little, I promise to pass them the list.

We hope to visit you again at another opportunity.

Best regards.

Nick

HULGICHAUDIO

A few photos here thanks to Ilya Furman, our rep in Melbourne

MAC Presentation_1.jpg

MAC Presentation_3.jpg

MAC Presentation_4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HA_Nick said:

Melbourne Presentation.png

Some great music here. 

For anyone with Tidal I made a playlist. I think only 2 tracks missing and maybe some slightly different versions/albums but I did my best. A shame a bit of Barb Jungr's work isn't on Tidal. Only recently discovered her through Linn Radio

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/a2048b5d-97a2-4980-8a2b-0e02f9aa098d

Edited by Bunno77
fix
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Some great music here. 

For anyone with Tidal I made a playlist. I think only 2 tracks missing and maybe some slightly different versions/albums but I did my best. A shame a bit of Barb Jungr's work isn't on Tidal. Only recently discovered her through Linn Radio

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/a2048b5d-97a2-4980-8a2b-0e02f9aa098d

Hi Brunno77,

Thank heaps for creating that list. I just added to my Tidal selection.

Best regards.

Nick

HULGICHAUDIO

7 minutes ago, HA_Nick said:

Hi Brunno77,

Thank heaps for creating that list. I just added to my Tidal selection.

Best regards.

Nick

HULGICHAUDIO

No worries. Was playing with the system today and had a little motivation. Almost through listening to this playlist now. Thank you very much for the tracks. There is some gems and great recordings.

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

No worries. Was playing with the system today and had a little motivation. Almost through listening to this playlist now. Thank you very much for the tracks. There is some gems and great recordings.

Always looking for new songs to test the speakers.

Best regards.

Nick

HULGICHAUDIO

1 minute ago, HA_Nick said:

Always looking for new songs to test the speakers.

Best regards.

Nick

HULGICHAUDIO

Hard to go past this one.

https://tidal.com/browse/track/12359468

Might make a thread to share playlists. I have collected a few good ones from dCS, Nordost and Naim too.

Anyways will stop derailing. Wish I could hear your Dukes. Was good to listen to your speakers at the Stereonet show in '17?