Melb HiFi Club Subwoofer SW200 100 watts 8 ohm

Hi

I need some assistance with a pair of sub-woofers that I picked up a while back. Does anybody have any knowledge about the specification of the specially created limited pairs-SW200  that was made by Lorantz Audio? ThaWP_20190818_011.thumb.jpg.07ab1b1192b4c2a97f1da3085eb56b5d.jpgWP_20190818_008.thumb.jpg.836269b28653e232c671176e8338b2b0.jpgnksWP_20190818_012.thumb.jpg.8e32797413578d8e3d443dc9a9f813e3.jpgnks

Edited by net
grammar

I had one sitting in my workshop for quite a few years till i sold it, it was still in its original cardboard box along with its spec sheet (typed and hand drawn) which included a schematic of a bass boost circuit that was required to lift the low frequency a few dB, it used to belong to an MAC member who gave it to me to use, but it didnt stack up to what is available nowadays when it comes to sub drivers.  I guess you could measure the driver to get all the necessary specs to sim a suitable design.

cheers,  Arthur.

Edited by afa
spelling

Afa

It would be a great help if you could share pictures of any information in your possession. I have a pair and would like to incorporate them into A 3 way speaker, using a dynaudio d 52 at and a peerless tweeter.

Regards

5 hours ago, net said:

I have a pair and would like to incorporate them into A 3 way speaker

The best advice by far is get a impedance tester,and measure the parameters... or get someone to do it.

Old woofer parameters may/will have drifted.

Without doing this, you're going to have a bad time.

• Like 1

Hi again, Best thing to do is what dave says, also seeing as you want to use them as a woofer in a 3 way you will also probably need to get a frequency response measurement done of the woofer (ideally on the baffle you intend to use) to see if it would have a suitable smooth frequency response up to (and beyond) the required frequency you intend to crossover to the D52. 

From memory I think the Qt of the woofer was around .2, Fs was mid 20's, I cant remember what the Vas was, and the box alignment recommended was an EBS (extended bass shelf) which was why it needed the bass boost eq cct.

BTW do you have all the gear and skills to design and build a 3 way speaker? if not...good luck..

cheers,  Arthur.

Over the last few years, the accelerated development in speaker technology has been phenomenal, and our own Lorantz  guys are definitely in the forefront in this -  in fact, they're one of the best speaker driver manufacturers in the world (no exaggeration here either) but they don't manufacture to any 'high fi' market, unfortunately.

However, there's nothing wrong with using a 'pro-audio' driver, particularly a bass or bass/mid driver of recent manufacture in your hifi speakers - in general, they'll be higher efficiency, far lower distortion, better linearity, extended freq response, etc, etc than any of the 'marketed' hifi speaker drivers from any of the well known brands, although this is slowly changing.

The big difficulty is actually getting your hands on one!