Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karl Rand

Phono pre-amp ergonomics

Guest Karl Rand

Something that’s often frustrated me is having load/gain etc settings for MM & MC cartridges located at the rear of components . Something that has reduced me to rage is having them inside a phono pre-amp. Luckly I’ve never owned one of the later or it would probably eventually be thrown across the room in a fit of drunken pique. My present Musical Fidelity LP 3, a three box affair, I’ve located sitting sideways end to end on a mantlepiece making it possible to get to the rear settings without going nuts. 

IMG_20190818_154206596.jpg

Contemplating a replacement for the Musical Fidelity I came across this one a Stereonet review and was horrified,  oad_up1_sna_review-10__large_full.thumb.jpg.512a83954e81b16ee17e3157cd33273f.jpg

with my habit of swapping from a Decca ‘Gold’ mono cartridge to a moving magnet and sometimes a moving coil ( not so often of late)  The nightmare I’d face having to drag something like this out of my rack to change a setting every time doesn’t bare thinking about. I’ve looked at Manley Labs phono pre which has front panel variable settings and wonder if anyone has exprience with one of these. It’s the valve life I’m concerned about even though I’m told valves in phono pre-amps, unless used in the power supply, have very extended lives. Any advice appreciated before I start the search and make the plunge. 

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by Karl Rand

You should try the GoldNote PH10...

*Sounds Great 

*All front panel adjustment 

* Multiple phono EQ curves

*2 expansion ports for up grades (ie power supply, tube output etc)

*2 independantly settable inputs

ProJect DS2 also has front controls and represents good value.

Guest Karl Rand

The Douglas HiFi site doesn’t appear to mention the cost of the external power supply. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place?

Excuse me digging up a piece of ancient history but whenever I encounter the Douglas HIFI name today I travel back mentally many decades to the old Bourke St, Melbourne store and stories of staff making components ‘fall off the back of a truck’. 

I also remember Vince Testa glued to the spot near an all Pioneer system he liked to flog so much he was known then as ‘The Pioneer Kid’. I hear he’s now an apiarist. Purchased my first decent turntable, a Denon direct drive, off him in his Clifton Hill shop later buying from him a Sota Saphire which turned out not to be as good as the Denon I traded in. 

Anyhow, when next in Melbourne I’ll pop into Douglas for a listen. 

Oh S.H.I.T. just noticed Douglas is in Perth. Long trip for a listen. 

PH-10_1024x1024.jpeg

Edited by Karl Rand

I actually missed that Douglas Hifi store in Bourke St......the front that had that Teac reel to reel.   The multiple of ghetto blasters from every Japanese electronic co.....   What a shop!    Also remember those sales guys who think that I couldn’t afford anything because I look 15....   well they were right whoever you were, I just had enough to get a ghetto blaster......

3 hours ago, Karl Rand said:

The Douglas HiFi site doesn’t appear to mention the cost of the external power supply. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place?

Excuse me digging up a piece of ancient history but whenever I encounter the Douglas HIFI name today I travel back mentally many decades to the old Bourke St, Melbourne store and stories of staff making components ‘fall off the back of a truck’. 

I also remember Vince Testa glued to the spot near an all Pioneer system he liked to flog so much he was known then as ‘The Pioneer Kid’. I hear he’s now an apiarist. Purchased my first decent turntable, a Denon direct drive, off him in his Clifton Hill shop later buying from him a Sota Saphire which turned out not to be as good as the Denon I traded in. 

Anyhow, when next in Melbourne I’ll pop into Douglas for a listen. 

Oh S.H.I.T. just noticed Douglas is in Perth. Long trip for a listen. 

PH-10_1024x1024.jpeg

These have come up for sale a few times recently here....

Hi All,

have had the Sunday + Monday off work and will now chime in with a few things  :)

I have added the the GoldNote PSU-10 to our website :

https://www.douglashifi.com.au/products/gold-note-psu-10-optional-add-on-power-supply-for-gold-note-ph-10-phono-stage?variant=29728257704045

(we have loaned out the PSU-10 to all of our PH-10 owners and around 90% of them have bought it as they all felt that the the performance boost was well worth the money).

All have reported a lowering of the noise floor (not that there was much to start with), increased dynamics and details and a larger soundstage.

All of the people that purchased were running MC carts - the MM cart users all reported a difference - but all were saving up for an MC cart.

We have kept an old ad from back in the day for Douglas HiFi (thought I'd share given the topic of conversation :

20190820_120354.thumb.jpg.977b03de07e47565b9cc366db2b7be75.jpg

I will PM you some info @Karl Rand

Cheers,

Simon Pressman

276499691_DouglasHIFi-Perth.png.a9e77773541f95ea17083cb7f6ecd0b3.png

www.douglashifi.com.au

There are a few others with controls at the front like the Cyrus phono signature which can also be upgraded with the external power supply and you can change settings by remote control. It also has inputs for 4 TT's. It's an excellent unit. The Manley labs steelhead you've posted is substantially more expensive than the others discussed here. There is a cheaper version, the chinook but that one I think has all the settings at the back or inside people seem to like both manley, the chinook is valve based too.