Sign in to follow this  
cafe67

Installing Windows 10 over the top on win 7

1 hour ago, Lloyd said:

I may be missing something, like a few neurons, but since when has this been a Linux thread?

Linux simply does not even come close to meeting the requirements of those who need a Win OS, so it is a tiny bit irrelevant..

For example, look at the hoops you have to go through to use MS Office (written in 2017). 

https://www.howtogeek.com/171565/how-to-install-microsoft-office-on-linux/

"We tested Office 2007 with this process, as Office 2013 is known not to work properly and Office 2010 doesn’t appear to be well supported. If you want to use an older version of Office, like Office 2003, you’ll likely find that it works even better. If you want to install Office 2010, you may need to perform some more tweaks..."

Oh my. 

Then there are the many third party software providers who only make their stuff plug n play for a Win OS.  And, a fortiori, maybe as an add on for a MS Office program like Excel.  And that is pretty much all I have to say about that.

Your answer is here, it works on everything    https://www.libreoffice.org

I prefer OpenOffice, https://www.openoffice.org/download/.

There are alternatives to most software, not all are exactly the same and not all will satisfy everyone.

Suggest that you check out alternatives for installing a newer version of Windows, various ways to do it.

Some keep your data, some don't, your data is the most important thing, not your applications or necessarily your OS.

Backup your data, backup your data, backup your data, no excuses these days, cheap backups with 1TB external HDD's selling for less than $100 each.

What is your time and data worth?

A lot more than a couple of hundred dollars?

41 minutes ago, stereo coffee said:

Your answer is here, it works on everything    https://www.libreoffice.org

LibreOffice Calc is probably sufficient for many people doing routine stuff..

Go for it.  I won't.  Advanced features of Excel are not supported, including advanced data analysis (I can't see regression) and ability to support advanced statistical (eg, principal component analysis) and neural technology add-ins.

Fail.  There are others who may wish to connect to an SQL server and write queries to access data sets is simple for Excel.  Good luck attempting that with Calc.

It does NOT work on everything.  I like to get facts correct, and if I don't I am happy to be corrected.

34 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

LibreOffice Calc is probably sufficient for many people doing routine stuff..

Go for it.  I won't.  Advanced features of Excel are not supported, including advanced data analysis (I can't see regression) and ability to support advanced statistical (eg, principal component analysis) and neural technology add-ins.

Fail.  There are others who may wish to connect to an SQL server and write queries to access data sets is simple for Excel.  Good luck attempting that with Calc.

It does NOT work on everything.  I like to get facts correct, and if I don't I am happy to be corrected.

Libre Office is available for  Windows, Linux, both .deb and .rpm  Mac, and there is a viewer for Android,

so pretty universal alluding to my comment it works on everything.  As for SQL server, not an area

I am familiar with, but  a  question and answer about this is here :    

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/108842/connect-calc-to-a-mysql/

How come anything to do with Linux just ends up being hard work?

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

It sounds even harder than Win 10, eh?

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

Try it for a few days and report back, as there is nothing like actual experience..

8 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

Try it for a few days and report back, as there is nothing like actual experience..

Yeah.............that's what people having been telling us since 1992 and every time it has been a waste of time.

I think it's a bit like the Green Kool Aid................

On 17/08/2019 at 10:50 PM, LogicprObe said:

So what?

I stopped using a jockstrap years ago.......................and I'm still going OK!

Let the women in your life be the judge of that IMHO. 🙃

Regards Cazzesman