Installing Windows 10 over the top on win 7

38 minutes ago, Bronal said:

Sorry to be ignorant, but what does the OP mean when he says 'on the top of'?  Does he mean having both Windows 7 and 10 installed at the same time?  If so, how is this possible?  Normally when you install a new version of software, it detects and extracts the old version before it installs itself.

Just as a matter of interest, I was intending to get the latest version of Office, but it won't install on Seven.  But, as far as support for Windows Seven is concerned, yes that is a concern for me, mainly from a security point of view.

Yes sorry my bad, I want to install win 1o over the top of win7, as I can't do a reformat , fresh install . 

Not so so sure I want to now ?

16 hours ago, cafe67 said:

I have a desktop that a couple of years old, but runs stuff well for me , I would like to,install windows10 over the top of the existing install of win 7, rather than reformat the hard rive and lose existing programs tha cam with the computer. 

Is is there a particular version of win 10 I need to buy ? 

I was was thinking of home 64. Don't really need the features of pro 

cheers dave 

I did exactly this albeit from Win 8.1 upgrading overtop to Windows 10 and found it to be an absolute pig and awful to use.

I don't think going over the top of Win 7 would be an issue in itself as I believe Win 10 doesn't share the base structure with Win 7 (happy to be corrected if wrong) so basically will be a fresh install anyway.

After going down the Windows 10 "Fix" path it was still awful so ended up going back to Windows 8.1 with Startisback to get rid of Metro and much happier.

My next computer will probably be a Mac... :unsure:

If you still want to try it rather than purchasing it may still be possible to get it as a free upgrade still.

Just remember there's a limited window available to roll back to Win 7 (sorry can't remember how long) if you or your Computer don't like it.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

• Like 1

I am swimming against the tide here, but no issue with Win 10 after switching over from Win 7.

For those contemplating sticking with Win 7 after support ends, not recommend. Yes, you can use a program after support ends. But highly risky for an OS because as new vulnerabilities are discovered, it will not be patched. Virus checkers may not work either..

• Like 2

Some have raised concern about "support" ending from MS for Win 7.

Since when has anybody ever really asked for support from MS?  I have had to do phone activations at most.  I do during American time rather than Oz to speak with someone.  Will explain why if someone is curious.

Second,  "security" concerns with Win 7.  What are they?  I look forward to the day when there are no longer those confounded updates.

• Like 1

I, too, am intending to upgrade to Windows 10 in the near future, and will probably go down the path of installing it over Windows 7, although I will make a back-up of the hard drive so I can re-install the old system if things go wrong. Consequently, I've been looking around for a copy of Windows 10 to buy, and have found that most computer shops have a price of around the $150 mark, as does Amazon Australia, whereas the price on Ebay Australia seems to be around $90 to $100. That seems to be a big disparity, and it makes me wonder if the Ebay ones are pirate copies. Is there any way this can be checked? I don't want to get a bodgie product!

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

Why do it?

A psychologist may be in a position to analyse this vexing issue in an objective manner. 

A study into the well known phenomena of crowd psychology,  together with examining any personal issues on a case by case basis.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

A psychologist may be in a position to analyse this vexing issue in an objective manner. 

A study into the well known phenomena of crowd psychology,  together with examining any personal issues on a case by case basis.

No need to hand over money for a psychologist as well.? Perhaps those having any reservations should hear from those delighted by Linux Mint in the forum? ( - like me ) , and a You Tube that explains the steps  

Want even more options ? Distrowatch https://distrowatch.com

provides continuous reviews of Linux and other exciting operating systems 

Well, the Op did ask about inexpensive approaches.

Just ask

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/download-windows-10-free/

This covers similar ground

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3400840/how-to-get-windows-10-cheap-or-even-for-free.html

then try this

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

More here

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html

and this is recap, mostly

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3400840/how-to-get-windows-10-cheap-or-even-for-free.html

Just remember there's a limited window available to roll back to Win 7

6 months from the date you setup.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, stereo coffee said:

And why that is so wrong   .  https://stallman.org/microsoft.html

I enjoy that list of "what's bad about"..  Includes pay toilets (what are they?), spotify, google, and LinkedIn. 

If he were Aussie there may be a few others like NBN, Telstra, most banks, and Dept of Human Services. 

• Like 2

PLEASE, for those who dislike Win 10 and Microsoft so much that they are willing to risk remaining on unsupported Win 7, the next major virus may more likely hit you, no matter how careful you are.  

Many of the Linux distros are easy to use and should be explored...

24 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

PLEASE, for those who dislike Win 10 and Microsoft so much that they are willing to risk remaining on unsupported Win 7, the next major virus may more likely hit you, no matter how careful you are.  

Someone I know got hit by a distros.  She was always very careful exploring while outside during the day, but one night it was full moon, and lo, the earth it doth pass between the sun and the moon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

6 months from the date you setup.

According to our monopolist masters, they only allow a grace period of ten days ("in most cases" - whatever that means) to realise and recant on making the mistake of falling prey to a demonstrable error of judgement. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4027936/windows-10-go-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81

3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Really... ??

So far all of the Linux distros I've tried have been anything but easy to use even requiring a Linux coding expert to even be able to install some drivers and software..... and even that failed..... :unsure:

From what I've seen you really need a pretty high level of computer expertise to use Linux.

Add to this a lot of the software available for Linux is basically freeware and quite often pretty half****** from what I've seen making Linux not a great option in my opinion.

If you can show me a Linux that's as easy to use and as finished (including available software) as Windows or OSX I'm open to trying Linux again.

Im bit of a novice with computers, basic - medium stuff only.

I hate Apple, dont like Windows 10 and 7 got to the stage of so slow running everything in the back ground.

I installed stand alone Cinnamon Mint by myself, and it didnt kill too many of my brain cells doing it.  Its fantastic. Fast, does everything I need, and hassle free. Wish I did it a long time ago. 

• Like 1

I'm not terribly competent on the hardware side of computers and all the bits and pieces required to make one run as it should, so I will be updating to Windows 10 just to keep current. I think that many of the people who don't like to upgrade, or simply don't see a need, are, to a large extent, quite clever at making their machines run in the way they would like. That is a good skill to have, but me, I'm just not that confident. Also, I will be making a full backup of local disc C using Acronis True Image, so if it all turns to poo, I should be able to go back to what I have now. I'm not dissing anyone here, or being nasty, simply explaining myself.

Cheers,

Puppy. 

6 hours ago, Martykt said:

If you can show me a Linux that's as easy to use and as finished (including available software) as Windows or OSX I'm open to trying Linux again.

I agree that Win OSX is far more polished but Linux Mint and its variants is what I suggest. 

My suggestion to look at Linux is more for those who are adamant to stay on unsupported Win 7, because of the risks involved. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Rock Puppy said:

I will be making a full backup of local disc C using Acronis True Image, so if it all turns to poo, I should be able to go back to what I have now. I'm not dissing anyone here, or being nasty, simply explaining myself.

Cheers,

Puppy. 

That is very prudent and wise, RC.   I hadn't heard of Acronis, but I always make a "clone" - an image - myself.  This is much much more than just backing up stuff.

These days it isn't tricky.  You need a new spare disk, a cable and the cloning software, usually free.  

I use Samsung Migration.  The clone drive must be a Samsung, I think. in my case, whatever.  (Edit - I now see that Acronis is not free.  The Samsung program is free - but then, I buy only Samsung SSDs).  Takes more than just a couple minutes, but then done and label it and plonk it in a drawer.   Might wish to briefly install into the computer to test it just to be careful, like double checking that you locked the door on the way out, but not necessary.

Whatever operating system you use, whether it be 7 or 10, this is the way to go.  Not often, maybe every 6 or 12 months at most, depending on how much stuff you plonk on ya computer by way of programs and stuff.

Also might be an idea for when you first get your computer.  Then there is no excuse for upgrading coz "things slow down".  You can install the disc just as you bought it new.

edit - Coz should your hard/solid drive catch something truly fatal that the anti virus stuff doesn't catch and ya hard drive goes to the dark place where snakes breed, a "clever" virus (all viruses are pretty clever nearly by definition, so I struggle for a superlative) can migrate to the system restore - this may be meaningful to geeks only.

Edited by Lloyd

8 hours ago, Martykt said:

Really... ??

So far all of the Linux distros I've tried have been anything but easy to use even requiring a Linux coding expert to even be able to install some drivers and software..... and even that failed..... :unsure:

From what I've seen you really need a pretty high level of computer expertise to use Linux.

Add to this a lot of the software available for Linux is basically freeware and quite often pretty half****** from what I've seen making Linux not a great option in my opinion.

Linux Mint is what you need to try.   https://www.linuxmint.com/   as it works straight out of the box

so to speak. Follow the guide here:  https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

• Like 1

I may be missing something, like a few neurons, but since when has this been a Linux thread?

Linux simply does not even come close to meeting the requirements of those who need a Win OS, so it is a tiny bit irrelevant..

For example, look at the hoops you have to go through to use MS Office (written in 2017). 

https://www.howtogeek.com/171565/how-to-install-microsoft-office-on-linux/

"We tested Office 2007 with this process, as Office 2013 is known not to work properly and Office 2010 doesn’t appear to be well supported. If you want to use an older version of Office, like Office 2003, you’ll likely find that it works even better. If you want to install Office 2010, you may need to perform some more tweaks..."

Oh my. 

Then there are the many third party software providers who only make their stuff plug n play for a Win OS.  And, a fortiori, maybe as an add on for a MS Office program like Excel.  And that is pretty much all I have to say about that.

Edited by Lloyd

1 hour ago, Lloyd said:

I may be missing something, like a few neurons, but since when has this been a Linux thread?

Linux simply does not even come close to meeting the requirements of those who need a Win OS, so it is a tiny bit irrelevant..

For example, look at the hoops you have to go through to use MS Office (written in 2017). 

https://www.howtogeek.com/171565/how-to-install-microsoft-office-on-linux/

"We tested Office 2007 with this process, as Office 2013 is known not to work properly and Office 2010 doesn’t appear to be well supported. If you want to use an older version of Office, like Office 2003, you’ll likely find that it works even better. If you want to install Office 2010, you may need to perform some more tweaks..."

Oh my. 

Then there are the many third party software providers who only make their stuff plug n play for a Win OS.  And, a fortiori, maybe as an add on for a MS Office program like Excel.  And that is pretty much all I have to say about that.

Your answer is here, it works on everything    https://www.libreoffice.org

I prefer OpenOffice, https://www.openoffice.org/download/.

There are alternatives to most software, not all are exactly the same and not all will satisfy everyone.

Suggest that you check out alternatives for installing a newer version of Windows, various ways to do it.

Some keep your data, some don't, your data is the most important thing, not your applications or necessarily your OS.

Backup your data, backup your data, backup your data, no excuses these days, cheap backups with 1TB external HDD's selling for less than $100 each.

What is your time and data worth?

A lot more than a couple of hundred dollars?

• Like 1