Installing Windows 10 over the top on win 7

I have a desktop that a couple of years old, but runs stuff well for me , I would like to,install windows10 over the top of the existing install of win 7, rather than reformat the hard rive and lose existing programs tha cam with the computer. 

Is is there a particular version of win 10 I need to buy ? 

I was was thinking of home 64. Don't really need the features of pro 

cheers dave 

It might be ok, especially if the win 7 is 64, but there might be some compatibility issues . 

1. I would first set up the win 7 for best performance and that's it. 

2. Get new MB, RAM, CPU and SSD from MSY or Scorptec and software from Ebay. $110+$120+$200+$200

1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button 
    The Start button
    , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.
  2. Click Adjust visual effects 
    Administrator permission required
    . If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK.

Um, thanks for that image.

Unfortunately, it means that there will increasingly be compatability issues with newer software. If you have the knowledge and time and inclination to deal with those, then so what indeed. If you're a set and forget type , it will get annoying.

I had the same reluctance to let go of XP, but more and more things just didn't work and it became a pain.

Edited by ericd

8 minutes ago, Irek said:
  1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button 
    The Start button
    , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.
  2. Click Adjust visual effects 
    Administrator permission required
    . If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK.

I just did that to see what would happen and it was horrible. I don't know why but the graphics were terrible. Adjusted back to 'best appearance'.

6 minutes ago, ericd said:

Um, thanks for that image.

Unfortunately, it means that there will increasingly be compatability issues with newer software. If you have the knowledge and time and inclination to deal with those, then so what indeed. If you're a set and forget type , it will get annoying.

I had the same reluctance to let go of XP, but more and more things just didn't work and it became a pain.

That's why I have many computers.

I even have one running Win 98SE for the best DOS compatibility!

But anyway.............you'll get a coupla years outta Win 7 before you really need to migrate.

25 minutes ago, ericd said:

I just did that to see what would happen and it was horrible. I don't know why but the graphics were terrible. Adjusted back to 'best appearance'.

Best performance?  Likely sucks the power out or goes to lower specced options.  Stick with best appearance...  :thumb:

• Like 1

W7 support ends in about 6 months.  Yeah you can keep running with it, but there will come the day you'll have to jump ship.  

I'm choosing to go to W10 when I have the time to do my 5x NUC's later this year.  Personally I don't want to run it over the top of W7.  A fresh install is always good (ideally every 12 monhts, but who can be bothered???) as it gets things running smoothly again.

The support means very little.

It's just the 'new' stuff..............usually subsidised by MS to force users into upgrading.

You can still get hacked just as easily.

How many XP users are getting hacked now?

Most of them are businesses using eftpos transactions.....................not many, eh?

Okay, for extra info, a whole ago I hadto get a new cpu,ram and motherboard - ever since it nagged me about comparability issues with win 7 and upgrading to win 10 or mcrosoft server

I watch a particular eBayer who sells ex-lease computers, a few hundred in stock, whatever.  I have some from there.

Currently, computers freshly installed with Win 7 are offered at a $30 - $50 premium over Win 10.  I'm gunna get another Win 7 unit.  Just coz Win 10 sux.

If you *really* want Win 10 and keep the programs when you don't have the source, I'd just get another desktop second hand for a few hundred bucks with Win 10 installed.  No stuffing around, together with the real risk that you will lose legacy software in the process.

Without checking, Win 10 by itself is a coupla hundred bucks or maybe more.  Do the maths.

• Like 1

We have W10 and W7 installed on various computers. I'd choose W7 over W10 anytime.

Any time I use W10 I get the feeling it was designed by someone at Apple. To make the user experience as $hit and frustrating as possible so that the user will throw away their PC and head to an Apple shop.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cafe67 said:

I have a desktop that a couple of years old, but runs stuff well for me , I would like to,install windows10 over the top of the existing install of win 7, rather than reformat the hard rive and lose existing programs tha cam with the computer. 

Is is there a particular version of win 10 I need to buy ? 

I was was thinking of home 64. Don't really need the features of pro 

cheers dave 

I did an upgrade of Win 10/64 over an old installation of Win7/64 with no issues. You should also be OK going from Win7/32.  Just make sure you do a back up of data and set a restore point before proceeding.

• Like 1

I just handed a Lenovo x240 Laptop with windows 7 64bit running back to work recently and got a brand new Dell 7940 that has 1/2 the HDD space @256GB and 8GB of RAM.   

Obviously operating from a Laptop that’s nearly seven years old has made it very productive.  There are draw backs.  Certain apps we run are no longer supported in wins10.   The vendors no longer support these apps as they are no longer made as the hardware that requires them are no longer made.  One important vendor is Xrite...  a lot of there stuff no longer supported and do not run on wins10..    We have clients that have hardware they have paid $100ks for and cannot move onto win10 because the licensing will not support it.    Remember when MS gave free upgrades where you can log on and download wins10 to upgrade from 7?  We had to install a patch to prevent this from happening as there mega dollar system will not run on wins10.  Even today it’s the same thing, the new hardware supports wins10 and are coming out with wins10 but are no longer compatible to wins7.  Work that out, but basically it’s all to do with $$$$....

So b4 you go and do the upgrade over 7 I’d suggest you work out what you consider important to run and whether it’s supported in 10.   If not you are going to need 2 machines.

• Like 2

the user will throw away their PC and head to an Apple shop.

Linux here. A month ago I've got a nerd in to upgrade one machine from Windows 7 to Win 10. He is a Win 10 disciple. Sadly Win 10 does all that I expect of MicroSoft software:

"So you want to do that, Dave?"

"No Dave, I don't think you really want to do that."

"This way is much better Dave, no matter what you think Dave."

"Allow me. In fact I will go ahead and do it my way anyway."

"So you have to re-learn how to do all the things you want? And where to find stuff? And how to find stuff? And you think it's time wasted? But hey, you're on Windows 10, happy happy joy joy, so many other people are happy too!"

hal.jpg?x=442&y=293&crop=1

I thought I had Windows 10's excesses controlled after installing Destroy WIndows 10 Spying. Which does a lot, but hey we are talking MicroSoft here.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortpopularity/windows_10_fixes.html

The automatic loading of MicroSoft Teams as my home page during my non-work hours on startup is frustrating enough. Teams is the home of the project from hell, I do not need it stalking me. The final straw was Windows shutting down the PC after an update when I had multiple Dropbox video downloads coming down at "almost complete". 

Add to that the forthcoming subscription model, where I will pay for crap software that doesn't ever do quite what I want, and Windows now looks increasing like the home water bill: 85% for overhead and 15% for value. The last month's trial of Win 10 has decided me: I am putting the rest of the computers onto linux, and would change the main PC too except that my employer requires Windows 10.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
  • Like 1

Like you I really preferred Win 7 to Win 10. But win 7 will soon stop being supported. Just bite the bullet & upgrade.

Even if you stay on Win 7 at some point in the future you'll have to upgrade anyway due to security/ program issues.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it > https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2267-upgrade-windows-10-a.html

30 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Linux here. A month ago I've got a nerd in to upgrade one machine from Windows 7 to Win 10. He is a Win 10 disciple. Sadly Win 10 does all that I expect of MicroSoft software:

"So you want to do that, Dave?"

"No Dave, I don't think you really want to do that."

"This way is much better Dave, no matter what you think Dave."

"Allow me. In fact I will go ahead and do it my way anyway."

"So you have to re-learn how to do all the things you want? And where to find stuff? And how to find stuff? And you think it's time wasted? But hey, you're on Windows 10, happy happy joy joy, so many other people are happy too!"

hal.jpg?x=442&y=293&crop=1

I thought I had Windows 10's excesses controlled after installing Destroy WIndows 10 Spying. Which does a lot, but hey we are talking MicroSoft here.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortpopularity/windows_10_fixes.html

The final straw was Windows shutting down the PC after an update when I had multiple Dropbox video downloads coming down at "almost complete". 

Add to that the forthcoming subscription model, where I will pay for crap software that doesn't ever do quite what I want, and Windows now looks increasing like the home water bill: 85% for overhead and 15% for value. The last month's trial of Win 10 has decided me: I am putting the rest of the computers onto linux, and would change the main PC too except that my employer requires Windows 10.

Yes Linux is by far the best choice to totally avoid the nonsense

that occurs with other software, a download of Linux Mint is available here:  https://www.linuxmint.com/

Suggest you show your employer the enormous cost savings with

switching to Linux, and get him or her to identify to all the staff,

why exactly they wish to continue wasting money.  Libre Office is

probably what should be explained first that comes packaged in

Linux Mint :    https://www.libreoffice.org

Edited by stereo coffee

Sorry to be ignorant, but what does the OP mean when he says 'on the top of'?  Does he mean having both Windows 7 and 10 installed at the same time?  If so, how is this possible?  Normally when you install a new version of software, it detects and extracts the old version before it installs itself.

Just as a matter of interest, I was intending to get the latest version of Office, but it won't install on Seven.  But, as far as support for Windows Seven is concerned, yes that is a concern for me, mainly from a security point of view.

10 minutes ago, Bronal said:

Sorry to be ignorant, but what does the OP mean when he says 'on the top of'?  Does he mean having both Windows 7 and 10 installed at the same time?  If so, how is this possible?  Normally when you install a new version of software, it detects and extracts the old version before it installs itself.

Just as a matter of interest, I was intending to get the latest version of Office, but it won't install on Seven.  But, as far as support for Windows Seven is concerned, yes that is a concern for me, mainly from a security point of view.

I presumed he was referring to doing the install as an upgrade, rather than a clean install. In theory, a clean install is better - no risk of registry conflicts etc, but a whole lot more mucking around transferring data and reinstalling all the ancillary software.

• Like 3

Guest Muon N'

I switched over recently, not very impressed................at all.............. only positive is the wifi adapter drivers are written better for 10....in my case.

33 minutes ago, Bronal said:

To run any operating system side by side you need to have a program to

partition your drive. When you download a copy of Linux Mint and run it

from a USB or DVD , a program called Gparted     

is provided which enables partitions to be set up. If you choose to install Linux Mint

the option to run an existing operating system, is provided during installation. 

You should also be able to partition your drive from the Linux Mint USB even

if you choose not to install Linux. But before that, save your documents and

needed files to an external hard drive, then learn about how a drive is partitioned.   

To make a USB work you need to assign the USB drive as your first boot device

- usually this is press f2 at start up and change boot order to USB then F10 to save

those changes.

Regarding paying money for a office program when Libre Office is available.

I am sure many charities would prefer you donate to them rather than handing over money without any need to do so. You could choose with the savings also to

donate to keep this forum running.  

Edited by stereo coffee