SOLD: FS: Manley Chinook Tube Phono Stage with NOS 7308 Amperex Gold Pins

SOLD

Item: Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Price:
Item Condition:
Reason for selling:
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Great tube phono stage that are quite rare on the second hand market given their popularity. A real keep and a great way to add valves to an otherwise SS system.

I have original factory packaging etc but am hoping for a local sale. Can freight at the sellers risk.

Angling for an affordable yet world-class vacuum tube phono stage? The hunt is over! The spawn of the Manley Steelhead - one of the world's greatest phono preamplifiers - Stereophile Class A Recommended Component and The Absolute Sound's Preamp of the Year, has arrived. The Chinook epitomises the sound of the Steelhead. Designed for the music lover, not the switch tweaker.

Like the Steelhead, each channel employs the two triode sections of a 6922 for amplifying duties with highly accurate passive RIAA equalisation networks. In the Chinook, the signal is then directly coupled to another 6922 dual triode serving as the output driver in a White Follower configuration. This output stage circuit is Manley's favourite because of its super-low output impedance and beefy current-driving capabilities. It can drive long cable lengths and difficult loads, tube or solid-state. Bring it on. No wimpy cathode followers here!

Setting up the Chinook couldn't be easier. There are two internal settings for optimal gain: 45dB for Moving-Magnet cartridges and 60dB for Moving-Coil cartridges. Set it and forget it! The back panel contains 'dip' switches for adjusting the input resistive and capacitance loading values. 31 possible options between 26 and 800 Ohms plus 47k Ohms and 7 capacitive loading choices between 50 pF and 350 pF provide flexibility to match any cartridge and fine tune the tone. Audiophile-grade and time-proven componentry is used throughout, embodying Manley's dedication to seductive sonics, combined with the reliability that professionals around the world depend on. At just about a quarter of the price of Manley's revered Steelhead preamplifier, the Chinook's focus is on elegance of design, careful execution, efficient construction, and appreciable quality.

Designed and built in California, the Chinook exemplifies Manley's commitment to their local community and to a simple, clean, and quiet signal path. The Chinook demonstrates the supreme linearity of vacuum tubes while providing the flexibility needed to embrace any turntable setup. Everything from the most exotic 180 gram audiophile pressing to 25-cent thrift-store classics will be reproduced accurately and musically.

Don't let this one get away! Hook a Chinook!

Specifications:

• Vacuum Tube Complement: 6922 x 2 (gain stage) plus 6922 x2 (output stage). Any 6DJ8, 7308, ECC88 types may be used.
  • Unbalanced Input and Output connections via Manley Teflon® & Gold plated RCA jacks
  • Automatic Mute Timer: On initial power up output jacks are muted for approximately 45 seconds. Automatic mute circuit allows tubes to warm up and circuitry to settle. At power down, output jacks are immediately muted.
  • Input Termination Capacitance (MM/MC): 3-position user-selectable capacitor values of 50pF, 100pF, and 200pF yield resultant combinations of: 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, and 350pF
  • Moving Magnet Input Impedance: 47k Ohms, fixed
  • Moving Coil (MC) Input Impedance: 5-position user-selectable resistor values of 50, 100, 200, 400, and 800 Ohms. There are 32 possible loading possibilities.
  • Gain: Internal DIP switches select 45dB or 60dB
  • Deviation from RIAA curve: Less than ± 0.5 dB from 20Hz to 20kHz at any gain setting. Typically less than ±1dB from 10Hz to 100kHz.
  • Distortion (THD+N) (47k Ohm Input Termination, 45dB gain, 1kHz sine, 0dBu output): Typical 0.010% THD+N, into 100k Ohm load, BW = 100Hz-22kHz
  • Distortion (THD+N) (47k Ohm Input Termination, 45dB gain, 1kHz sine, 0dBu output): Typical 0.030% THD+N, into 600 Ohm load, BW = 100Hz-22kHz
  • Dynamic Range (MM input, Gain set to 45db, 200 Ohm source): 91dB @ 1kHz, 0.1% THD+N, BW = 22Hz-22kHz
  • Dynamic Range (MM input, Gain set to 45db, 200 Ohm source): 107dB @ 1kHz, 1.0% THD+N, BW = 22Hz-22kHz
  • Noise Floor at 45dB gain setting with shorted input: -84 dBu, A-weighted
  • Noise Floor at 60dB gain setting with shorted input: -75 dBu, A-weighted
  • Maximum Input at 45dB gain setting with 20 Ohm Source Z @ 1kHz into 10 kOhm load: 250mV RMS = +34.5 dBu @ 1% THD+N BW=22Hz-22kHz
  • Maximum Input at 60dB gain setting with 20 Ohm Source Z @ 1kHz into 10 kOhm load: 40mV RMS = +34.2 dBu @ 1% THD+N BW=22Hz-22kHz
  • Maximum Output: +37dBu @ 1kHz, 1.5% THD+N into 100 kOhm load
  • Output Impedance: 91 Ohms
  • Minimum Recommended Load: 2500 Ohms
  • Internal Power Supply: Fully regulated linear B+, Heater, and control voltage rails.
  • Operating Mains Voltage: Units are built for original destination country's mains voltage: 100V, 120V, or 220-240VAC as indicated on the serial number badge.
  • Power Consumption in Standby mode: 1 Watt (8.0mA @ 120VAC)
  • Power Consumption: 42 Watts (345mA @ 120VAC)
  • Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~60Hz
  • Power Transformer: Toroid contruction for low radiation.
  • Mains Fuse: 250mA SLO-BLO size 5mm x 20mm
  • Standby Transformer Fuse for all voltage operation 100V-240V: 10mA, SLO-BLO, MDL type size 1/4" x 1 1/4"
  • Badge Lamp: LED illumination
  • Dimensions: 89 x 483 x 279mm (HxWxD)
  • Shipping Weight: 6.8kg

DSCF4280.thumb.JPG.1d854b602b9afef72fa7eb0145c2b16a.JPGDSCF4279.thumb.JPG.f81a9fe5f64718896dd99fee58c78a0d.JPGDSCF4301.thumb.JPG.ed27eb295128b3eff54aa8e5ab3323c5.JPGDSCF4303.thumb.JPG.53db806c9c16844307278f6df02aabfe.JPGDSCF4304.thumb.JPG.8a61dfcaac251efcf17ea30b01f39b80.JPGDSCF4298.thumb.JPG.80a357bf41fe84eb2d06a96709faca5f.JPGDSCF4306.thumb.JPG.1b6d361e298316f8a1bc017beeec4041.JPGDSCF4307.thumb.JPG.76d506fb9bb1cdb3b4d6432014f3b5a9.JPG

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 4

First and only price drop to $2150. I don't think I have seen one sell this cheap with the included valves. Price is not inclusive of freight or paypal fees.

Please only PM me if you are genuinely interested and intend to purchase.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kelossus said:

First and only price drop to $2150. I don't think I have seen one sell this cheap with the included valves. Price is not inclusive of freight or paypal fees.

Please only PM me if you are genuinely interested and intend to purchase.

There should be a special thread where sellers can post their best lowballers and tyre kickers!

2 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

There should be a special thread where sellers can post their best lowballers and tyre kickers!

Why?  I sent a few pm’s regarding this.  We had a chat about its sound, and how it might compare to my current phono stage and how it may work with my setup.  In the end I was able to conclude that it most likely won’t be a big enough step up to warrant the cost, despite it being a great price with awesome tubes.  It also shows that one can chat about an item trying to learn more, even if purchase doesn’t happen or I put it on a “maybe” list.  “Expression of interest” is just that.  Offers are offers (provided they’re not outright rude and impersonal lowballs).

My pm’s could easily be interpreted as “tyre kicking”.  Guilty as charged.

I must admit though, I love it when a new dude makes a really silly and rude lowball offer but posts it publicly in the thread.  

Edited by Mat-with-one-t
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kelossus said:

Sorry that comment was intended to call anyone out directly.

I have received 3 PM's regarding the Chinook and they ended in a non-sale.

Nah all good. I generally hope people don’t mind.  I will be the 1st to admit that PM’s regarding an item for sale is a way for me to learn about items, however I never start that process unless there’s a reasonable possibility that I may buy it!  Good luck!  I’m frankly amazed it’s still available!

• Like 1