Hi all

Wondering why to buy a DAP when a phone will do everything?

I know there must be a reason but I want ya’ll to enlighten me.

Cheers all.

Jarrod

Sound quality. Battery life. Probably main two.

You can get great SQ by hooking up a Chord Mojo or Oppo HA2SE, but then you're spending $700 and have the bulk.

Hiby R8 DAP will supports 4G will be launching next month

Edited by jmwant

It depends on what you want to achieve in terms of SQ in portable music.

For me, having a DAP just for music is great. It separates myself from the many distractions of the phone.  I don't like a DAC dongle with a phone for the same reason.

I think whether you need a DAP also depends on what quality of headphone or IEM you use. I first ventured into head-fi with a Campfire Audio entry level IEM paired with iphone 6s, then got a pair of Andromeda and quickly realise I need a better source. Got myself a TOTL DAP and the effect is like 1+1 = 3 !! Now I am into 64 Audio CIEM.... 

Some TOTL DAP is so good its SQ is comparable to a good desktop DAC, but you need the right listening environment (i.e quiet) to be able to fully enjoy the benefits. If you only listen to music on the train/bus/office, I don't think it worth the trouble to get a DAP.

Some LG phones have great sound quality on-par with many entry to mid-level DAP, it's worth a try if you use Android phone.

I will suggest you to demo a high quality DAP with a comparable high quality headphone/IEM setup and see what you think.

Audition an Cowon Plenue D along with your phone, with decent headphones & you'll see the difference