Acceptible LP wobble?

Still a bit new to this 21st Century vinyl caper.  Back in the day you got a few dud albums and sucked it up. 

I have bought a brand new Dead Can Dance album.  One of the discs  appears to fairly bounce up and down indicating significant warping of the disc.  I can't detect deleterious effect on the sound, but you just know it is providing an extra challenge for accurate music reproduction.  (can't seem to attach a short video)

Should I accept this as withing limits or send back?  What would you do?

Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jamesrc said:

Still a bit new to this 21st Century vinyl caper.  Back in the day you got a few dud albums and sucked it up. 

I have bought a brand new Dead Can Dance album.  One of the discs  appears to fairly bounce up and down indicating significant warping of the disc.  I can't detect deleterious effect on the sound, but you just know it is providing an extra challenge for accurate music reproduction.  (can't seem to attach a short video)

Should I accept this as within limits or send back?  What would you do?

Thanks for the advice.

These days, unfortunately, a warped disk is not a rare occurrence!  :(  If you want to get on top of them - as it's such a PITA to keep sending LPs back - you need to invest in a 'Vinyl Flat/Groovy Pouch'.  See here:  https://www.vinylflat.com/ssl/vinylflatproducts.html

Or, if you have the ready ... this Furutech product:  https://www.avgallery.com.au/shop/analog-products/analog-accessories/df-2/

Andy

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, andyr said:

These days, unfortunately, a warped disk is not a rare occurrence!  :(  If you want to get on top of them - as it's such a PITA to keep sending LPs back - you need to invest in a 'Vinyl Flat/Groovy Pouch'.  See here:  https://www.vinylflat.com/ssl/vinylflatproducts.html

The Groovy Pouch and Vinyl Flat cost around $600 landed if anyone is curious. You also need to then buy a step down transformer here for it to operate.

I would love one but with the almost worthless Oz Dollar is makes things such as this, very expensive.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rantan said:

The Groovy Pouch and Vinyl Flat cost around $600 landed if anyone is curious. You also need to then buy a step down transformer here for it to operate.

I would love one but with the almost worthless Oz Dollar is makes things such as this, very expensive.

If you get both products it adds to $220US, equivalent to $324.07AU for today’s conversion.   I supposed if delivery is factored in on $US and possible add GST it’ll be like you said, a wake up call @ around the $600 landed........      

anyone thinking of producing one here ?     

it shouldn’t be that hard!  Couple of metal plates with a hole in the centre, use some heat resistance silicone rubber to protect the record, grab some metal clamps from Bunnings that can survive a bit of heat....clamp the the whole product to be flattened, sit it in the oven at a desire temp and experiment,,,,,  can’t see this to be none effective...  Possibly a lot cheaper than $600AU.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

If you get both products it adds to $220US, equivalent to $324.07AU for today’s conversion.   I supposed if delivery is factored in on $US and possible add GST it’ll be like you said, a wake up call @ around the $600 landed........      

anyone thinking of producing one here ?     

it shouldn’t be that hard!  Couple of metal plates with a hole in the centre, use some heat resistance silicone rubber to protect the record, grab some metal clamps from Bunnings that can survive a bit of heat....clamp the the whole product to be flattened, sit it in the oven at a desire temp and experiment,,,,,  can’t see this to be none effective...  Possibly a lot cheaper than $600AU.

Australia...land of the too hard to do here, let's import it instead, more money to be made that way and less trouble!

Edited by BLAH BLAH

17 hours ago, andyr said:

Or, if you have the ready ... this Furutech product:  https://www.avgallery.com.au/shop/analog-products/analog-accessories/df-2/

Andy

I have owned my ORB Disc Flatter DF-02 ( Orb make it for Furutech) for over 11 years now.   

I feel for everyone that has warped/dished records as its a PITA.   

I no longer worry about warped records.   It gets a lot more work now than 10 years ago as so many pos 180gm records are dished these days.  Mainly caused by the useless record plants not allowing the required 8 hours cooling time before packaging etc.

The record flattener is THE BEST hifi product I have ever bought and has paid for itself a few times over.  

VsatuWj.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

There are a few shops who have invested in the flatterners providing a service going rate seems to be between $10-$15.

That is a lot cheaper then sending them back to the US for a credit and then pay postage for the replacement album.

For those interested in the vinyl flat this was my response;

In 2017, we moved production of the Groovy Pouch from China to the USA but we have not been able to locate a suitable 220 v heating element replacement here in the USA for our International customers who require a 220 v heating solution for the Vinyl Flat, so you have two options:

* You can just buy the Vinyl Flat and use it with your kitchen oven (see our Tips download .PDF file on our web site for more info).  

Price:  Vinyl Flat discounted to $129.95 + Shipping $100  =  $229.95 USD

* You can buy the 110 V USA Groovy Pouch and purchase a 220v to 110 v step-down voltage converter separately in your country that is suitable for 150 W of continuous use.  

Price:  Vinyl Flat discounted to  $129.95 + 110 V Groovy Pouch $79.95 + Shipping $108  =  $317.90 US converts to AUD 460 approx.

Edited by PKay
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, PKay said:

There are a few shops who have invested in the flatterners providing a service going rate seems to be between $10-$15.

That is a lot cheaper then sending them back to the US for a credit and then pay postage for the replacement album.

For those interested in the vinyl flat this was my response;

In 2017, we moved production of the Groovy Pouch from China to the USA but we have not been able to locate a suitable 220 v heating element replacement here in the USA for our International customers who require a 220 v heating solution for the Vinyl Flat, so you have two options:

* You can just buy the Vinyl Flat and use it with your kitchen oven (see our Tips download .PDF file on our web site for more info).  

Price:  Vinyl Flat discounted to $129.95 + Shipping $100  =  $229.95 USD

* You can buy the 110 V USA Groovy Pouch and purchase a 220v to 110 v step-down voltage converter separately in your country that is suitable for 150 W of continuous use.  

Price:  Vinyl Flat discounted to  $129.95 + 110 V Groovy Pouch $79.95 + Shipping $108  =  $317.90 US converts to AUD 460 approx.

The $460 price does not include 10% GST and 5% duty as well as the cost of the step down, hence my "all up " price of $600

Just now, rantan said:

The $460 price does not include 10% GST and 5% duty as well as the cost of the step down, hence my "all up " price of $600

So far on my smaller purchases ie, <$1000 they seem to go straight through, also no duty on imports from the US due to the treaty.  I would say you would have to be really unlucky to get slugged for the GST.

3 minutes ago, PKay said:

So far on my smaller purchases ie, <$1000 they seem to go straight through, also no duty on imports from the US due to the treaty.  I would say you would have to be really unlucky to get slugged for the GST.

I guess so, but it would be just my luck to find a zealot customs person having a really bad day, but yeah, it could end up being about $520 with the step down..:)

Edited by rantan

24 minutes ago, rantan said:

I guess so, but it would be just my luck to find a zealot customs person having a really bad day, but yeah, it could end up being about $520 with the step down..:)

I will probably get one if I can’t find a reasonably priced Orb online.  We already have the step down. 

Edited by PKay

Thanks for the advice ( and info about a product I had no idea existed). 

The seller, vinyl.com.au are happy to take it back with a free post option, so I will pursue that instead.  Excellent customer service from them and prices are ok.

• 11 months later...

Hi all

the post has been pretty hopless during COVID and I've had a bundle of problems with my records arriving really heavily dished. So, I'm really interested in the Vinyl Flat. 

Have people had good experiences / tips? 

Do people have advice about an appropriate stepdown transformer that works well with the pouch? I have zero faith in my oven's temperature settings.

thanks!

On 17/08/2019 at 8:04 AM, Addicted to music said:

...anyone thinking of producing one here ?     

Every time I go to the work kitchen I look at the sandwich press, and think that if that was bigger it could be converted into a record flattener.  Maybe it wouldn't be difficult to screw a couple of 13"sq plates to the heating surfaces with some of the rubber suggested above.  Would need to check if it reaches the required temperature for record flattening and have the long cool-down period. 

71It9T63giL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Every time I go to the work kitchen I look at the sandwich press, and think that if that was bigger it could be converted into a record flattener.  Maybe it wouldn't be difficult to screw a couple of 13"sq plates to the heating surfaces with some of the rubber suggested above.  Would need to check if it reaches the required temperature for record flattening and have the long cool-down period. 

71It9T63giL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Way too hot and a pending disaster.

5 hours ago, RBBruno said:

Hi all

the post has been pretty hopless during COVID and I've had a bundle of problems with my records arriving really heavily dished. So, I'm really interested in the Vinyl Flat. 

Have people had good experiences / tips? 

Do people have advice about an appropriate stepdown transformer that works well with the pouch? I have zero faith in my oven's temperature settings.

thanks!

I've flattened about 100 records with mine, only lost 2 due to excessive heat. The optional heat is necessary. The earlier ones had no heat adjustment and so was unsuitable for records with a low melt temperature. If you're buying a lot of new vinyl, it will eventually pay for itself many times over. For anyone who needs tips on how to get the best out of them, I'm happy to share my experiences.

3 hours ago, t_mike said:

[Sandwich press]  Way too hot and a pending disaster....

Yes, I should have mentioned it would need modification for adjustable temperature.  It would be a project for someone with greater electronic knowledge and experience than I have!

16 hours ago, t_mike said:

I've flattened about 100 records with mine, only lost 2 due to excessive heat. The optional heat is necessary. The earlier ones had no heat adjustment and so was unsuitable for records with a low melt temperature. If you're buying a lot of new vinyl, it will eventually pay for itself many times over. For anyone who needs tips on how to get the best out of them, I'm happy to share my experiences.

thanks t_mike - once I track one down I'll definitely be seeking you out for your wisdom on this!

Hi, just thought I'd add my two cents.

I've been buying quite a few abums from both the states and the UK, and three now have been warped beyond playable. Due to the ridiculously long wait I decided not to send one record back, instead borrowing a vinyl flat sans pouch.

I put the oven on and used a temp probe to maintain the temp as best I could at between 55 and 60 degrees C. According to the instructions, I was to leave the vinyl flat with record in the oven for 45 mins (200g record).

I  put the oven timer on, and followed the instructions. The big mistake I made was to leave the vinyl flat in the oven after the 45 minutes to cool down slowly. Bad idea. The record came out impressively flat but with a micro impression of the protective fabric that sandwiches the record in the vinyl flat stamped into the vinyl. This caused a background hiss when the record was played. A throwaway basically.

Advice I received was to leave the record in the vinyl flat out in the sun for a few weeks. I can't confirm if this works however and I don't have the patience either to wait that long.

If I was to repeat the process again, I'd drop the temp down another 5 degrees C, make use of a baker's silicon mat and not leave the record in the oven to cool down.

All the best with your endeavours.

Ian J.

• 1 month later...

Ummm... I bought one of these with the 240 volt transformer back in 2013/14? Just the best way to flatten new vinyl. No problems removing warps, 12 hours in the pouch, allow to cool, play the record. The only problem I had was with coloured vinyl, that was badoozled beyond redemption, so I recommend sticking to black. Also, I don't remember ever buying a record that was warped back when vinyl was the only medium available. Never came shrink wrapped either! Who thought that was a good idea?!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the new Groovy Pouch's heating element only covers around 3/4 of the record surface so you have to be strategic and ensure you place the warp in the area the heating element covers otherwise nothing will happen and the warp will remain.

12 hours ago, macguffin said:

I don't remember ever buying a record that was warped back when vinyl was the only medium available. Never came shrink wrapped either! Who thought that was a good idea?!

I have records pressed in the 60s with the shrink wrap still on them. Australian records never had shrink wrap on them.

8 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the new Groovy Pouch's heating element only covers around 3/4 of the record surface so you have to be strategic and ensure you place the warp in the area the heating element covers otherwise nothing will happen and the warp will remain.

I have a temp probe which I've located in a number of places in the bag, the temperature is uniform.