jamesrc

Acceptible LP wobble?

Still a bit new to this 21st Century vinyl caper.  Back in the day you got a few dud albums and sucked it up. 

I have bought a brand new Dead Can Dance album.  One of the discs  appears to fairly bounce up and down indicating significant warping of the disc.  I can't detect deleterious effect on the sound, but you just know it is providing an extra challenge for accurate music reproduction.  (can't seem to attach a short video)

Should I accept this as withing limits or send back?  What would you do?

Thanks for the advice.

Send it back.

Its also putting extra unwarranted strain on your cartridge's suspension.

12 minutes ago, jamesrc said:

Still a bit new to this 21st Century vinyl caper.  Back in the day you got a few dud albums and sucked it up. 

I have bought a brand new Dead Can Dance album.  One of the discs  appears to fairly bounce up and down indicating significant warping of the disc.  I can't detect deleterious effect on the sound, but you just know it is providing an extra challenge for accurate music reproduction.  (can't seem to attach a short video)

Should I accept this as within limits or send back?  What would you do?

Thanks for the advice.

These days, unfortunately, a warped disk is not a rare occurrence!  :(  If you want to get on top of them - as it's such a PITA to keep sending LPs back - you need to invest in a 'Vinyl Flat/Groovy Pouch'.  See here:  https://www.vinylflat.com/ssl/vinylflatproducts.html

Or, if you have the ready ... this Furutech product:  https://www.avgallery.com.au/shop/analog-products/analog-accessories/df-2/

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

These days, unfortunately, a warped disk is not a rare occurrence!  :(  If you want to get on top of them - as it's such a PITA to keep sending LPs back - you need to invest in a 'Vinyl Flat/Groovy Pouch'.  See here:  https://www.vinylflat.com/ssl/vinylflatproducts.html

The Groovy Pouch and Vinyl Flat cost around $600 landed if anyone is curious. You also need to then buy a step down transformer here for it to operate.

I would love one but with the almost worthless Oz Dollar is makes things such as this, very expensive.

They used to send it with a 240v power pack for Australia purchases. Has that changed?

11 hours ago, rantan said:

The Groovy Pouch and Vinyl Flat cost around $600 landed if anyone is curious. You also need to then buy a step down transformer here for it to operate.

I would love one but with the almost worthless Oz Dollar is makes things such as this, very expensive.

If you get both products it adds to $220US, equivalent to $324.07AU for today’s conversion.   I supposed if delivery is factored in on $US and possible add GST it’ll be like you said, a wake up call @ around the $600 landed........      

anyone thinking of producing one here 😜     

it shouldn’t be that hard!  Couple of metal plates with a hole in the centre, use some heat resistance silicone rubber to protect the record, grab some metal clamps from Bunnings that can survive a bit of heat....clamp the the whole product to be flattened, sit it in the oven at a desire temp and experiment,,,,,  can’t see this to be none effective...  Possibly a lot cheaper than $600AU.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

If you get both products it adds to $220US, equivalent to $324.07AU for today’s conversion.   I supposed if delivery is factored in on $US and possible add GST it’ll be like you said, a wake up call @ around the $600 landed........      

anyone thinking of producing one here 😜     

it shouldn’t be that hard!  Couple of metal plates with a hole in the centre, use some heat resistance silicone rubber to protect the record, grab some metal clamps from Bunnings that can survive a bit of heat....clamp the the whole product to be flattened, sit it in the oven at a desire temp and experiment,,,,,  can’t see this to be none effective...  Possibly a lot cheaper than $600AU.

Australia...land of the too hard to do here, let's import it instead, more money to be made that way and less trouble!

Edited by BLAH BLAH

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, andyr said:

Or, if you have the ready ... this Furutech product:  https://www.avgallery.com.au/shop/analog-products/analog-accessories/df-2/

Andy

I have owned my ORB Disc Flatter DF-02 ( Orb make it for Furutech) for over 11 years now.   

I feel for everyone that has warped/dished records as its a PITA.   

I no longer worry about warped records.   It gets a lot more work now than 10 years ago as so many pos 180gm records are dished these days.  Mainly caused by the useless record plants not allowing the required 8 hours cooling time before packaging etc.

The record flattener is THE BEST hifi product I have ever bought and has paid for itself a few times over.  

VsatuWj.jpg

Edited by metal beat

Posted (edited)

There are a few shops who have invested in the flatterners providing a service going rate seems to be between $10-$15.

That is a lot cheaper then sending them back to the US for a credit and then pay postage for the replacement album.

For those interested in the vinyl flat this was my response;

In 2017, we moved production of the Groovy Pouch from China to the USA but we have not been able to locate a suitable 220 v heating element replacement here in the USA for our International customers who require a 220 v heating solution for the Vinyl Flat, so you have two options:

* You can just buy the Vinyl Flat and use it with your kitchen oven (see our Tips download .PDF file on our web site for more info).  

Price:  Vinyl Flat discounted to $129.95 + Shipping $100  =  $229.95 USD

* You can buy the 110 V USA Groovy Pouch and purchase a 220v to 110 v step-down voltage converter separately in your country that is suitable for 150 W of continuous use.  

Price:  Vinyl Flat discounted to  $129.95 + 110 V Groovy Pouch $79.95 + Shipping $108  =  $317.90 US converts to AUD 460 approx.

Edited by PKay

4 minutes ago, PKay said:

There are a few shops who have invested in the flatterners providing a service going rate seems to be between $10-$15.

That is a lot cheaper then sending them back to the US for a credit and then pay postage for the replacement album.

For those interested in the vinyl flat this was my response;

In 2017, we moved production of the Groovy Pouch from China to the USA but we have not been able to locate a suitable 220 v heating element replacement here in the USA for our International customers who require a 220 v heating solution for the Vinyl Flat, so you have two options:

* You can just buy the Vinyl Flat and use it with your kitchen oven (see our Tips download .PDF file on our web site for more info).  

Price:  Vinyl Flat discounted to $129.95 + Shipping $100  =  $229.95 USD

* You can buy the 110 V USA Groovy Pouch and purchase a 220v to 110 v step-down voltage converter separately in your country that is suitable for 150 W of continuous use.  

Price:  Vinyl Flat discounted to  $129.95 + 110 V Groovy Pouch $79.95 + Shipping $108  =  $317.90 US converts to AUD 460 approx.

The $460 price does not include 10% GST and 5% duty as well as the cost of the step down, hence my "all up " price of $600

Just now, rantan said:

The $460 price does not include 10% GST and 5% duty as well as the cost of the step down, hence my "all up " price of $600

So far on my smaller purchases ie, <$1000 they seem to go straight through, also no duty on imports from the US due to the treaty.  I would say you would have to be really unlucky to get slugged for the GST.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, PKay said:

So far on my smaller purchases ie, <$1000 they seem to go straight through, also no duty on imports from the US due to the treaty.  I would say you would have to be really unlucky to get slugged for the GST.

I guess so, but it would be just my luck to find a zealot customs person having a really bad day, but yeah, it could end up being about $520 with the step down..:)

Edited by rantan

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, rantan said:

I guess so, but it would be just my luck to find a zealot customs person having a really bad day, but yeah, it could end up being about $520 with the step down..:)

I will probably get one if I can’t find a reasonably priced Orb online.  We already have the step down. 

Edited by PKay

I got my Vinyl Flat and 240V Groovy pouch for US$223.90 including shipping to NZ in 2012.

Worth every penny.

Thanks for the advice ( and info about a product I had no idea existed). 

The seller, vinyl.com.au are happy to take it back with a free post option, so I will pursue that instead.  Excellent customer service from them and prices are ok.