Addicted to music

Toyota, Mazda or Subaru?

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

And then you drive a stinger 😳

Haha

Police dept all over are considering this as a pursuit vehicle.....NT and QLD etc and also in The USA! 

Im gonna check this out!  😜

https://www.caradvice.com.au/744746/kia-stinger-nt-police/

Edited by Addicted to music

Drive and you’ll buy it, that’s what they told me when I was at the dealer, I went in to buy the Cerato GT. 

1 minute ago, Sime V2 said:

Drive and you’ll buy it, that’s what they told me when I was at the dealer, I went in to buy the Cerato GT. 

It’s the only way to try them all.  I’m hoping to get a chance to see them today....    there’s a strip along Hoppers Crossing.....nearly all brands are there.....   might even just drop into VW to waste some time hey!   😜

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

somehow it took a long time and you need to plant that foot down to get anywhere.

I believe the latest models from Toyota solved this by adding a proper first gear to their CVT. 

1 hour ago, Sime V2 said:

You can pick any auto maker and find the same story. What we don’t know is the truth behind any of those stories and how each individual engine was actually treated to end at that point. 

Absolutely. My point, strongly felt but poorly made, is that we are making these decisions based on an extremely limited data set and a whole bunch of competing hormonal responses to barely-noticed stimuli.

we can’t possible decide rationally what the best car is for us because that’s not how we make “decisions”. We try a few and have corresponding emotional responses then buy the one that releases the most happy juice and then later we justify that decision with words like value and other reassuringly logical phrases. 

Pick the jaded salesman :D 

I think the stingers look great. If I was a commodore guy I would go and drive a stinger and think it’s great then I would buy the commodore over the objectively better stinger for “reasons” but really because I’m a commodore guy. If a friend recommended a stinger it might be enough to tip me over and then I would find a bunch of other “reasons” why I went that way. 

Personally, apart from a much-loved but objectively terrible XC falcon, all of my cars have been Japanese and they’ve all been some version of great. It’s part of my identity that I’m a Japanese car guy. Not a big part, mind you but when I’m car shopping it’s super important. 

There’s no right answer to this. Go find the car that give you the most happy juice and your monkey brain will do the rest :) 

@RankStranger did you ever end up Driving the Stinger?

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

What do you guys think of CVT?  I’ve notice this on the higher end of the range of some series.    I drove a Mitsubishi Outlander with 7 seats that had CVT...  it was comfortable without the hash gear changes,  somehow it took a long time and you need to plant that foot down to get anywhere.   Not sure about reliability but I’ve seen many YouTube videos on the different steel belt that are used....

In my experience, it comes down to the manufacturer and the implementation.

I've driven a few CVTs which were terrible - the Mitsubishi ASX and Toyota. The old CVT 'rubber band' syndrome was far too prevalent - a very non-linear relationship between engine revs and forward momentum, and quite laggy down low. They need revs to get moving. Both cars did my head in!

The CVT in my Subaru Liberty 3.6R feels noticeably different, but it appears to be due to the programming of the CVT and the torque of the larger donk. Subaru have made this CVT feel more like a traditional auto with distinct steps, and it doesn't need bulk revs to get moving. It's not a bad thing to drive at all. To be honest though, I'd much prefer a good 6-8 speed auto than a CVT.

I don't have much experience with dual clutch setups as yet, although I'm eyeing off a Skoda Superb Sportline wagon in future with the Golf R driveline including DSG - we shall see...

5 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

No. Well above my budget :) 

The guy who organized the Stinger Cruise here in Canberra recently “was” a die hard Holden Guy 😉

15 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

The guy who organized the Stinger Cruise here in Canberra recently “was” a die hard Holden Guy 😉

I’ll bet :)

I’ll also bet that a lot of the "commodore guy" ethos was, for many, about buying Australian and with that gone many of the commodore guy (and gals, of course, I’m just straw-manning) will be released of that particular emotional imperative.

A stinger is a great place to land for those people and I think they’ll really do well, especially with so many unofficial brand ambassadors around ;) (no shade. the few stinger owners I’ve spoken with all love them)

Yes, I’m not a patriot, never have been. 

Didn’t get to drive any vehicles today,  had a lot of fun checking them out.  There are a couple of things you cant do on line,  sit in them and getting a scale of what it’s like for roominess.  Some even look better in the flesh....been a while since I dropped into a motor vehicle showroom checking out  brand new vehicles.  One thing is for sure, @blybo and @Martykt  I have to agree that Mazda red is an amazing colour,  Ive never seen a red like this and absolutely fell in love with it,  it’s one of those colours  that somehow has this magical tint that said you have to have.....own it,  yeah so tempting!  I learnt there are new Mazda models coming out to replaced the current 3 range, that’s why they are all discounted....  not many left and most are all demo stock and some have done over 37k which isn’t really brand new!  You could probable pick one up 2nd ono at 37k and get better value. 

The Top of the line Camry is an eye opener, more of a saloon and full of luxury, not that we are going for the top end Camry.   The hybrid Camry is a 6mth wait!!!!!    :o  WTF!   The hybrid Corolla is readily available and starts at $31500 drive away,   However no full size wheel!   And yes with the corolla you can fit one in it!  “ I like the sales pitch here; “how often do you have a flat?”  I mean seriously I have had to fixed about 5-7 flat tyres in the last 3 months,  it happens and those spaces Saver wheels should be illegal!  Especially when you are carrying 300kg of items.....

Saw the Kia Stinger too, @ $67k. :o   Nice car tho!   The Cerato is very well equipped!  However there is one drawback,  I said to my daughter if I see our ex neighbour car salesman, I’d refused to deal with him, guess what, he shows up at the Kia dealership and walked over to say hello, small world hey!   

6688BAA9-4628-496E-9F50-4010E1121801.jpeg

7EE23EE5-DD4B-4153-954D-3DA4FB51B0CA.jpeg

733AF27C-048A-4DB8-BDF8-52FD9B24A554.jpeg

C30C0DE0-C659-4D22-81B9-C88E009C75CE.jpeg

66361FCF-9E3F-4D05-B576-528BB9E6CC8E.jpeg

AB88DA01-C546-4554-800F-3B910F63A26D.jpeg

9EBB1611-D308-4DF7-9A81-71919F0E3A43.jpeg

90B60369-B1E7-4D8E-BED6-2CA4ADBDAB03.jpeg

Get her the Mazda 3 in red metal paint.

It looks spectacular!

Posted (edited)

Get her the Cerato GT in orange with dual clutch and 1.6 Turbo. 

Looks better and faster lol

Edited by Sime V2

The new ford focus is worth considering, it's good to drive, the engine has character and it handles nicely, roomy inside.

On 17/08/2019 at 9:11 AM, Addicted to music said:

Haha

Police dept all over are considering this as a pursuit vehicle.....NT and QLD etc and also in The USA! 

Im gonna check this out!  😜

https://www.caradvice.com.au/744746/kia-stinger-nt-police/

What do you mean considering. The police here in Qld have had the stingers as highway pursuits for a while now. I saw one yesterday when driving to the Leyburn historic sprints , he had pulled over a car in the oposite direction.