Addicted to music

Toyota, Mazda or Subaru?

2 years ago I bought my first brand new car and my 3rd subi. It’s the Impreza 2.0i-s sedan and apart from being a little thirsty and a shade underpowered (for my foot, anyway) I love it to bits.

Of the ones I investigated seriously at the time, the Mazda’s design felt old/dated, the Hondas were fun but felt cheap by comparison, the Volkswagens were nice but much more exxy (and I wanted a sedan, plus I was a bit p!ssed at them for the dodgy exhaust tests) and I didn’t look at the Toyotas because the styling bores me (though I admit the new ones are nicer, or at least more interesting),

the Subi is fun to throw into corners, feels completely planted in any weather, has heaps of room, heaps of cool tech all for just over $30k (after a bit of haggling). 

Perfectly happy with my choice until they release a new wrx.

20 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

That's turning up in all types of vehicles these days.  Drives like an auto, but really a dual clutch/gearbox manual operated automatically by the computer.  I like it actually.

It is really good and it doesn't have that holding-the engine -back feeling. There is an occasional jerky start off but it isn't frequent at all and once the car is on the move it is just superb.

IMVHO, Kia/Hyundai have done a better job on the dual clutch transmission than the Euro makers and they also don't have a seven year warranty.

If you don’t at least test drive the Koreans, your doing yourself an injustice. 

2 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

If you don’t at least test drive the Koreans, your doing yourself an injustice. 

Could not agree more.

The Cerato GT wasn't even on my radar but when I tried it I was sold

My last 3 cars have been Mazda’s. I had the last model 323, 2001 I think, for 8 years with no problems. I gave it to my parents who are still using it problem free.

We then bought the previous body shape Mazda 3. Had it for 3 years before it was written off in accident - my wife was t-boned at a set of lights on the drivers side door. She was badly shaken and bruised but escaped otherwise unharmed.

We then bought a Mazda 3 sp25 which we’ve now had for over 5 years with no real problems. We did have software glitch that caused the engine warning light to come on but a firmware update was all that was required. Of all the cars I’ve ever owned, this is my favourite.

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

That's turning up in all types of vehicles these days.  Drives like an auto, but really a dual clutch/gearbox manual operated automatically by the computer.  I like it actually.

Just don’t trust the stuff that’s from Europe,  the Ford Mondeo, Ford Ranger, well all Ford are a piece of junk,  they clap and vibrate the vehicle.  They throw transmission errors and you have to manually changed the gears in sports mode, note it’s a auto transmission.  One colleague has had 4 transmission change in one Ranger and 2 in his current Ranger, the other day he broke down on a Sunday morning while taking the kids for soccer training, this time it was a crank sensor!   My original 2011 Mondeo did 230k before it was quoted $11500 to have the transmission replaced,  fleet wrote it off and I’m currently driving an ex colleagues Mondeo with exactly the same issues....  no offence to anyone but even if they are giving them away I will personally stay away from any European brand no matter how good the value is,  one of my pet hates is working on stuff designed in Europe,  they really have no idea and the modifications I do to keep them running!   F@rk me!   No wonder I have a job!  I’ve known people who have driven VW out of the showroom, only to be without a vehicle after a few hours for the next 3 weeks because of a transmission issue or an electronics faults.....and that’s just the start for more issues to come!  

What do you guys think of CVT?  I’ve notice this on the higher end of the range of some series.    I drove a Mitsubishi Outlander with 7 seats that had CVT...  it was comfortable without the hash gear changes,  somehow it took a long time and you need to plant that foot down to get anywhere.   Not sure about reliability but I’ve seen many YouTube videos on the different steel belt that are used....

Ive owned 4 Kia’s to this point, from the bottom and the top of the range. Only then after sitting in these cars for as long as I have, it’s then you realize the difference between Kia and Mazda. Needless to say, Kia is a better build. 

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

Ive owned 4 Kia’s to this point, from the bottom and the top of the range. Only then after sitting in these cars for as long as I have, it’s then you realize the difference between Kia and Mazda. Needless to say, Kia is a better build. 

I had a perception at the time that the Korean makes had very poor resale. Plus a friend of mine’s optoma’s engine seized up after about 50,000 ks and he had trouble getting them to honour the warranty which made me wary. Legitimate concerns or unconscious bias? Who knows? We don’t make these decisions rationally anyway

21 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

What do you guys think of CVT?  I’ve notice this on the higher end of the range of some series.    I drove a Mitsubishi Outlander with 7 seats that had CVT...  it was comfortable without the hash gear changes,  somehow it took a long time and you need to plant that foot down to get anywhere.   Not sure about reliability but I’ve seen many YouTube videos on the different steel belt that are used....

In my research, lots of people said the CVT was horrible. I’ve never had a problem with it. It’s very smooth and always seems to know what gear it should be in, to the point where, in two years, I’ve never used the flappy paddle things. I think people are weirded out by the fact that it doesn’t have the traditional rising pitch gear sound. I honestly couldn’t give a sh!t about that. :) 

Edited by RankStranger

2 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

engine seized up after about 50,000 ks

You can pick any auto maker and find the same story. What we don’t know is the truth behind any of those stories and how each individual engine was actually treated to end at that point. 

As as far as the warranty is concerned , the biggest complaint about Kia, especially in the US is the dealer network, not the actual cars. 

2 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

I had a perception at the time that the Korean makes had very poor resale. Plus a friend of mine’s optoma’s engine seized up after about 50,000 ks and he had trouble getting them to honour the warranty which made me wary. Legitimate concerns or unconscious bias? Who knows? We don’t make these decisions rationally anyway

There is a particular KIa that’s not worth the money it’s on, something to do with engine cylinders and loss of power where it will cost $xx amounts to have it repaired...   maybe they are gone these days because that was the early days...

Hyundai also had there fair share of transmission issues, a ex neighbour bought one of those earlier model excels and had to demonstrate the issue and they still couldn’t fix it, but all these are over a decade and I’m sure, fingers cross that none of these issues are on current models....  My brother who works for the importer for Subaru has said that Hyundai have come along way in in some areas they are excelling and beating Toyota at there own game.

8 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

In my research, lots of people said the CVT was horrible. I’ve never had a problem with it. It’s very smooth and always seems to know what gear it should be in, to the point where, in two years, I’ve never used the flappy paddle things. I think people are weirded out by the fact that it doesn’t have the traditional rising pitch gear sound. I honestly couldn’t give a sh!t about that. :) 

Yes,  I agree,  driving that Outlander for 5 weeks certainly make you get use to how comfortable it was,  I dreaded when I landed back into a Mondeo.....   sometimes I wonder if that auto will move from 1st.

Anyone who’s anyone should fully understand by now that old Kia and new Kia shouldn’t be...............

I went to buy a Mazda CX5 last year, test drove the Kia Sportage and bought that.  As I'm a fan of Japanese built cars I was somewhat disappointed the Kia was a notably better build.

I’ve detailed a CX 3 recently and drove it. Yeah nah.  

And then you drive a stinger 😳

By the way, I’m only pushing the Koreans simply when they are still considered the lesser option when they aren’t.