Addicted to music

Toyota, Mazda or Subaru?

On 12/12/2019 at 6:11 PM, Addicted to music said:

The Camry and the new RAV4 are on the same 2.5lt engine....  The RAV4 doesn’t have a V6.     There is no V6 Hybrid in the Camry trims.

i think the Mitsubishi Outlander is way smoother than the RV4, easy!  Just gutless and that CVT doesn’t do it justice. Or any favours ...  

The CVT is well mated in the RV4 Hybrid..  really fits the drive well IMO.   

I haven’t played with the infotainment,  without the key you can’t turn it on.....and at the dealers there’s no chance, I got to have a listen to the sound system and what the boss needs it’s more than enough.   But what I’ve heard on reviews it’s not as hires as some, the camera is definitely SD and nothing special, but either way we are use to nothing in the 2003 Camry and Mondeo has nothing, zilch...... so this will confused the boss me think......

has some really nice safety,   the camera behind the mirror detects speed  signs, predestrians and cyclists,  as we pass a speed sign it’s actually tells you on the display and warns you,  even when entering a school zone.....  this has both camera and radar to work, where Subaru rely directly on cameras.

what a shame no 6 cyl hybrid ! its a rough/gruff engine I have to say AM. it really seems to come on like a generator at times.... whroom all of a sudden it will come on and thats all the sound it makes wiht the CVT driving it at its higher revs no doubt where the torque is. but i will say overall not using a lot of fuel so the hybrid approach serves this engine well. and overall still a quiet car and uses not a lot of fuel for size it is . and goodness it is large ! 

are the rubber mats it comes with you talking about earlier ? my wife asked me she said they are like what you can get for the toilet :D you know those anti slip things you put in baths and showers :D I think can put regular mats on top to hide them i suspect :)

infotainment is basic. am not listening to the stereo anymore. am a bit spoilt with the HK system in the bmw i think. the screens are a bit 3 colour ? ie simplistic... but do the job... informative enough. I think caught out the safety system yesterday dropping daughter and friend off at school. i didnt switch off the car... they both got out and car threw a fit that the seat belts where they were sitting before were not inserted. I thought woudl stop but wouldnt. had to pull over stop. shut down car completely and fire up again. i guess it doesnt like folk getting out the car if dont completely shut it down. ie leave stopped braked and in park ?

huge boot on this thing to ...lots room in the back as well...wife says its like a limousine :D but also she'd never drive it ... too large... 😛  

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

what a shame no 6 cyl hybrid ! its a rough/gruff engine I have to say AM. it really seems to come on like a generator at times.... whroom all of a sudden it will come on and thats all the sound it makes wiht the CVT driving it at its higher revs no doubt where the torque is. but i will say overall not using a lot of fuel so the hybrid approach serves this engine well. and overall still a quiet car and uses not a lot of fuel for size it is . and goodness it is large ! 

Well if you stick a six in, where are you going to fit the electrics?   

The Subaru Forrester has the new generation motor  that’s suppose to be better fuel efficiency and more power,  again this thing isn’t as smooth as the Outback version which still has the older version drive chain.  it seems a trend that as they move forward in efficient and power the pistons are travelling further if you read the Toyota Marketing hype and they angled the valves further apart ....  so you can see why the engine is not as smooth and refine,  to me it has this unrefined V8 note, so if you like that it’s not a bad thing! 

have to say that the Honda was the worst with CVT,  at least the Subaru has programmed steps so it feels like a  geared transmission...   I would say the Toyota CVT in the RAV4 is actually well mated, especially for the hybrid....  I also drive the petrol only version and that felt like “a Camry” 😀 when on demand yeah,  the motor whines but you get somewhere, with the Honda HRV you wonder where that rev and power has gone....and you have to wait till it takes effect.

The mats are the ones that are in the accessories, not cheap!    They are rubber or what they refer as all weather mats,  I’d prefer these over the carpet mats, so much easier to clean.

https://tottenham.lemanstoyota.com.au/new-vehicles/rav4/accessories/

?

huge boot on this thing to ...lots room in the back as well...wife says its like a limousine :D but also she'd never drive it ... too large... 😛  

Yeah, when I was looking at the Camry it’s like a saloon,   The 2003 is bigger with a bigger boot...   the boss loves it, I guess if it wasn’t for my daughter she’ll be still going with it....

Edited by Addicted to music

13 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Well if you stick a six in, where are you going to fit the electrics?   

the camry v6 were a pretty decent car still available as a 3.5L  V6 camry with 8 speed auto ... be very interesting to compare both. i jumped in our mazda 3 yesterday afternoon and it instantly felt like to be driven !  but yes i understand with the v6 and 8 speed auto where woudl fit the electrics....

ps i notice a button for EV mode. did you get to explore this on the rav4 ? might do next chance. handing the camry back mid next week so some more time with it :)

the camry v6 were a pretty decent car still available as a 3.5L  V6 camry with 8 speed auto ... be very interesting to compare both. i jumped in our mazda 3 yesterday afternoon and it instantly felt like to be driven !  but yes i understand with the v6 and 8 speed auto where woudl fit the electrics....

I drove a 3.0L Camry V6 many moons ago.    Gee did that thing take off,  I suggested getting the V6 to the boss in 2003, but because it was $5-6k more it was hard to justify because she was already use to 3.0L Nissan Skyline....  yeah the Mazda 3  2.5L is an amazing little car. Fun to drive, that would have been the go to vehicle if the boss wanted a small car.  Apparently one of my colleagues SIL lost his licence in the one his daughter owned.....

ps i notice a button for EV mode. did you get to explore this on the rav4 ? might do next chance. handing the camry back mid next week so some more time with it :)

No I didn’t get a chance...     I believe I had it in normal mode...

Just got confirmation that the car will be at the dealer on the 28th of January 2020....    

After getting onto a RAV4 Page on Facebook,  apparently someone was able to track there order and build journey via a Toyota Tracking App.   Yep, I enquire about this this morning and as long as the dealer has entered your details you should be able to track when the order was place,  build process and shipment to the dealer......how good is that!   Better than Australia Post tracking.  :D   

The only unfortunate thing about my build,  is that I can’t track it due to privacy reasons,  the order for my build was initiated by the dealer for someone else and it’s under there details, and because they have bailed, the dealer is only allowed to give us the arrive dates.......

Theres the Toyota Tracking link: 

https://webapps.toyota.com.au/apps/cwt/

On 15/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, Addicted to music said:

I drove a 3.0L Camry V6 many moons ago.    Gee did that thing take off,  I suggested getting the V6 to the boss in 2003, but because it was $5-6k more it was hard to justify because she was already use to 3.0L Nissan Skyline....  yeah the Mazda 3  2.5L is an amazing little car. Fun to drive, that would have been the go to vehicle if the boss wanted a small car.  Apparently one of my colleagues SIL lost his licence in the one his daughter owned.....

In 1986 I was on holiday in the States visiting my girlfriend in Boston while she was working there on a exchange program thing. I hired a cheap car from the airport as part of my budget airline ticket but when I went to pick it up there was nothing available except a V6 3 litre Camry so they bumped me up to that. Lovely car with automatic seatbelts that moved into place as you put the key in the ignition. This thing flew. At tollgates in Mass. I'd drop my money in the basket and floor the throttle and in the blink of an eye you would be way over the speed limit. We made friends with an American girl with a big barge of a fat Yankee car with some ridiculous 18 cylinder V12 and she used to scream when she was in the back seat when I pushed the accelerator to the floor as she'd never selt such acceleration.

2 hours ago, Hergest said:

In 1986 I was on holiday in the States visiting my girlfriend in Boston while she was working there on a exchange program thing. I hired a cheap car from the airport as part of my budget airline ticket but when I went to pick it up there was nothing available except a V6 3 litre Camry so they bumped me up to that. Lovely car with automatic seatbelts that moved into place as you put the key in the ignition. This thing flew. At tollgates in Mass. I'd drop my money in the basket and floor the throttle and in the blink of an eye you would be way over the speed limit. We made friends with an American girl with a big barge of a fat Yankee car with some ridiculous 18 cylinder V12 and she used to scream when she was in the back seat when I pushed the accelerator to the floor as she'd never selt such acceleration.

new v6 takes up again hergest with the new one 3.5L and later gen. though been a while since driven that too. checking the toyota website seems to still exist. just not as hybrid. hybrid seems to add about 30kw ! perhaps thought enough enough power wise. woudl help it nicely fuel econiomy wise though am thinking :) 

No I didn’t get a chance...     I believe I had it in normal mode...

EV mode doesn't actually do anything it still does same thing AM drops out of electric around 20-30km/h :) that said its certainly helping its fuel economy. 

mazda is quite a bit smaller AM, while it easily fits in our garage. the camry had to do some re arranging to squeeze in. we have some stuff up front of the garage with slim bench and shelf and a bike there. the camry is only ...just... fitting in. anyways should say good by to it tomorrow latest thu

wife drove it yesterday ... she 100% said it felt like a limo :D though yeah definitely too big for her ! 

10 hours ago, betty boop said:

mazda is quite a bit smaller AM, while it easily fits in our garage. the camry had to do some re arranging to squeeze in. we have some stuff up front of the garage with slim bench and shelf and a bike there. the camry is only ...just... fitting in. anyways should say good by to it tomorrow latest thu

wife drove it yesterday ... she 100% said it felt like a limo :D though yeah definitely too big for her ! 

Yep, agree with your wife, the latest Camry are a limo no doubt....:D

if you check the specs the RAV4 is around 200mm shorter measuring 4600mm in length where the Camry starts at 4800-4900. However the RAV is slightly wider,  this gives you the spacious cabin feel.

The boss said to not look at a Camry, she wanted something different and preferably not Toyota. :D.    Would have got the Subaru Forester at a really good discounted price, had all the bells and whistles including a parking camera for the front which no one has and it monitors driver fatigue, the thing was I didn’t like it,. that boxer motor is just outdated and without turbo it felt like a boat, again due to efficiency it’s rough as guts, the cargo was little to desire but in saying that it’s very good for a traditional AWD and it’s safe.

EV mode doesn't actually do anything it still does same thing AM drops out of electric around 20-30km/h :) that said its certainly helping its fuel economy. 

I wish it did more,  but the battery and the electric motors are not as powerful as say a Tesla.....   As they say it gets better efficiency in start/stop traffic and in highway it’s basically the petrol motor kicking in all the way....    and I suppose in start/stop traffic is where a petrol motor is inefficient.  Having a plug-in would have helped,  but Toyota Australia is yet to decide on bringing that RAV4 Prime in....   if that was here no doubt what my decision would be,  regardless of price....   

new v6 takes up again hergest with the new one 3.5L and later gen. though been a while since driven that too. checking the toyota website seems to still exist. just not as hybrid. hybrid seems to add about 30kw ! perhaps thought enough enough power wise. woudl help it nicely fuel econiomy wise though am thinking :) 

Surprising how they are using the same motor and platform, but the Camry Hybrid uses 95 octane and the RAV4 Hybrid uses 91.

5 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Yep, agree with your wife, the latest Camry are a limo no doubt....:D

if you check the specs the RAV4 is around 200mm shorter measuring 4600mm in length where the Camry starts at 4800-4900. However the RAV is slightly wider,  this gives you the spacious cabin feel.

The boss said to not look at a Camry, she wanted something different and preferably not Toyota. :D.    Would have got the Subaru Forester at a really good discounted price, had all the bells and whistles including a parking camera for the front which no one has and it monitors driver fatigue, the thing was I didn’t like it,. that boxer motor is just outdated and without turbo it felt like a boat, again due to efficiency it’s rough as guts, the cargo was little to desire but in saying that it’s very good for a traditional AWD and it’s safe.

I wish it did more,  but the battery and the electric motors are not as powerful as say a Tesla.....   As they say it gets better efficiency in start/stop traffic and in highway it’s basically the petrol motor kicking in all the way....    and I suppose in start/stop traffic is where a petrol motor is inefficient.  Having a plug-in would have helped,  but Toyota Australia is yet to decide on bringing that RAV4 Prime in....   if that was here no doubt what my decision would be,  regardless of price....   

funny story, toyota is doing a hybrid roadshow...to raise awareness of people in the boss of hybrids ie they have batteries and petrol engines with range etc. however most folk are jus telling em back well we know that... why cant we plug them in and when is the hillux and LandCruiser coming in a hybrid ? :D 

Toyota are behind the curve which is crazy given how far back they go with hybrid. but what is good for them is this will just drive their demand further. we are a big brown land and hybrid is probably ideal right now, though being able to plug in with a bit larger battery would suit folk more suspect. still it is an extension of the start stop as you say. :) 

agree re  the subaru boxer that its outdated. suprised subaru too arent doing more in the hybrid electric space :)

9 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Surprising how they are using the same motor and platform, but the Camry Hybrid uses 95 octane and the RAV4 Hybrid uses 91.

yes this is very odd ! for folks out of town the 91 is far more useful !  though we its getting more rare to get 91 only petrol stations. but why pay the premium for premium if dont have to for a every day car ? 

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

It is indeed, especially when the spec sheets for each vehicle show the same power and torque for the petrol element of the hybrid drivetrain, despite the different minimum octane requirement.

I would have expected to the Camry to possibly have a different state of tune (or a higher static compression ratio) to make the most of the higher octane 95 RON fuel, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

7 hours ago, betty boop said:

. :) 

agree re  the subaru boxer that its outdated. suprised subaru too arent doing more in the hybrid electric space :) 

From all accounts Subaru was supposed to released the Hybrids for the final quarter of this year, but they have pushed it back to 1st quarter 2020.  It’s on it’s way.......  and I think it’s also a plug-in too!  let’s hoped that the brainless person doing the order remember to tick heated/cooling  seats function and one for the steering wheel too so all Foresters get this nice feature unlike the current 2019 range .......:D

https://www.subaru.com.au/hybrid-register-your-interest

@betty boop

heres a SUV hybrid 1.8.. FWD about the same size as the Mazda 3 but I would say the 3 has better boot space than this thing.....  it looks awesome and the Hybrid version has just being released.   Very small SUV possible in direct competition of the Cx3....   the petrol version is a small 1.2L turbo AWD option...   

Note also how the Hybrid on this is also running on 91 and the turbo petrol is running on 95, also around 300mm shorter than a RAV4.

https://www.toyota.com.au/c-hr/prices

https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/toyota/main-site/vehicle-hubs/c-hr/files/chr-spec-data-dec2019.pdf

Edited by Addicted to music

7 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

@betty boop

heres a SUV hybrid 1.8.. FWD about the same size as the Mazda 3 but I would say the 3 has better boot space than this thing.....  it looks awesome and the Hybrid version has just being released.   Very small SUV possible in direct competition of the Cx3....   the petrol version is a small 1.2L turbo AWD option...   

Note also how the Hybrid on this is also running on 91 and the turbo petrol is running on 95, also around 300mm shorter than a RAV4.

https://www.toyota.com.au/c-hr/prices

https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/toyota/main-site/vehicle-hubs/c-hr/files/chr-spec-data-dec2019.pdf

hi AM I know the c-hr ! definitely cx3 competition but its very unfortunate inside ! :D claustrophobic due to high up low room line and thin windows you wouldnt want it, tiny boot too ! am sure its goes !  and good compact option no doubt for the young at heart ! 

ps there is a very good option in the toyota corona sedan ! decent boot too even with hybrid which sorts problem with the toyota corolla hatch. father in law had a corolla sedan before the honda now, am sure if were buying again would buy the corolla sedan. the hondas have sort of gone down the gurgler ! 

20 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

From all accounts Subaru was supposed to released the Hybrids for the final quarter of this year, but they have pushed it back to 1st quarter 2020.  It’s on it’s way.......  and I think it’s also a plug-in too!  let’s hoped that the brainless person doing the order remember to tick heated/cooling  seats function and one for the steering wheel too so all Foresters get this nice feature unlike the current 2019 range .......:D

indeed you were onto it, subaru finally joining hybrid party. too late to party for you. and i think smart move to go for more mature toyota solution... take a while for subaru to refine id suggest :) 

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2020-subaru-forester-hybrid-xv-hybrid-pricing-and-specs-122967.html

AM will find curious that ford has axed the mondeo ! in preference to SUVs...

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ford-mondeo-axed-from-mid-2020-122985.html

"Ford will only offer the Mondeo in base Ambiente trim from the start of 2020, before the mid-sized hatch and wagon are removed from the line-up in the second half of the year.

The move reflects "changing customer preferences including an overall shift towards SUVs", said Ford Australia communications boss Matt Moran."

AM will find curious that ford has axed the mondeo ! in preference to SUVs...

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ford-mondeo-axed-from-mid-2020-122985.html

"Ford will only offer the Mondeo in base Ambiente trim from the start of 2020, before the mid-sized hatch and wagon are removed from the line-up in the second half of the year.

The move reflects "changing customer preferences including an overall shift towards SUVs", said Ford Australia communications boss Matt Moran."

The Mondeo diesel wagon has been struck  of the our fleet listing many moons ago,  they ditched it in favour of Ford Ranger Utes,  now if you think the Camry is big try a Ranger for size,  when the guys started to received them the cost of panel damage was enormous!  Even with cameras and sensors they just get damaged..  I hate to take it to some private car parks in Melb CBD!   Let alone park in the street!  The current go is the bottom of trim of the Nissan Navara.  Ever since the death of the Wagon in a Falcon or Commodore utes just make sense....  that’s if they replace the 2011 Mondeo I’m driving now!

10 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

The Mondeo diesel wagon has been struck  of the our fleet listing many moons ago,  they ditched it in favour of Ford Ranger Utes,  now if you think the Camry is big try a Ranger for size,  when the guys started to received them the cost of panel damage was enormous!  Even with cameras and sensors they just get damaged..  I hate to take it to some private car parks in Melb CBD!   Let alone park in the street!  The current go is the bottom of trim of the Nissan Navara.  Ever since the death of the Wagon in a Falcon or Commodore utes just make sense....  that’s if they replace the 2011 Mondeo I’m driving now!

I know someone who bought a ford ranger and tried to use as "family car" horrible things. largesse for sake. very agricultural. and wasnt long got rid of it as none of family really wanted to be in it. we are being impacted by the us and us decisions when comes to brands run by us owners - ford in us has got rid of all cars for suvs and trucks *sad*....ive had my brother in law's hillux to drive and fits in our garage... but agree ranger is gargantuan on another level....with "cars" getting bigger and bigger and bigger and the onslaught of the "truck"

24 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I know someone who bought a ford ranger and tried to use as "family car" horrible things. largesse for sake. very agricultural. and wasnt long got rid of it as none of family really wanted to be in it. we are being impacted by the us and us decisions when comes to brands run by us owners - ford in us has got rid of all cars for suvs and trucks *sad*....ive had my brother in law's hillux to drive and fits in our garage... but agree ranger is gargantuan on another level....with "cars" getting bigger and bigger and bigger and the onslaught of the "truck"

It doesn’t stop People from buying them, they are 2nd most popular seller only to be beaten by Toyota Hilux.  The diesel version actually goes like a car and the road dynamics is really fun for such a big vehicle,  you’ll find this hard to believe,  but when they dispose my original 2011 Mondeo because of transmission issues I moved everything into a Ranger and struggled to fit everything in that tray!  The Mondeo that has such a deep  boot actually held more stuff, in the Ranger I had to fill the back seat!  I also couldn’t fit the same stuff in a Mitsubishi Outlander with 7 seats....because it didn’t come with a cargo safety barrier.

3 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

It doesn’t stop People from buying them, they are 2nd most popular seller only to be beaten by Toyota Hilux.  The diesel version actually goes like a car and the road dynamics is really fun for such a big vehicle,  you’ll find this hard to believe,  but when they dispose my original 2011 Mondeo because of transmission issues I moved everything into a Ranger and struggled to fit everything in that tray!  The Mondeo that has such a deep  boot actually held more stuff, in the Ranger I had to fill the back seat!  I also couldn’t fit the same stuff in a Mitsubishi Outlander with 7 seats....because it didn’t come with a cargo safety barrier.

tradies drive the sales of these things and they are exempt with FBT with dual cabs.... indeed that is surprising wagon boot vs tray on the ranger ! must be harder to get stuff in and out of the tray too. awkward being high up ! anyways as you say doesnt stop people buying ! 

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

tradies drive the sales of these things and they are exempt with FBT with dual cabs.... indeed that is surprising wagon boot vs tray on the ranger ! must be harder to get stuff in and out of the tray too. awkward being high up ! anyways as you say doesnt stop people buying ! 

Pain in the butt, you either pull everything out if you can’t fit through the side windows,  and those 3rd party canopy had huge issues with window locks, especially the ones they were using.