Addicted to music

Toyota, Mazda or Subaru?

We had an Austin 1300 in the late 60s I was a child back then and it was enough for 2 adults and 3 children.

The cars are not too small, it is the crap we put in them that is too much.

Just a little bit of input... It might be worthwhile looking the at kg carrying capacity of some of these cars you are considering. If you are looking at you + Misses + 3 relatives in the car plus 50 kgs of luggage (lets say 450 kgs) you might just breach vehicle gross capacity. Your vehicle is no longer road worthy, you have breached warranty and possibly voided insurance cover (insurance companies being considerate chaps always on your side). Our wagons have been used for work and regularly carry 150+kgs of wine cartons, so carrying weight is a concern. Not many modern SUV's and wagons have very high carrying capacity.

44 minutes ago, Batty said:

I call BS

She now wants a 7 seater......   

28 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

sorry am with batty. we have gone through couple of kids wiht prams and baby seats and what not. and two generation of mazda 3 as family car did us happily. never ever felt inadequate for space or room or luggage carrying.

I appreciate the folks visit and need the 7 seater troop carrier. but how often is that ? seems like a bit of a shame / luxury to be lugging a 7 seater load lugging beast around just for the folks visit ? every now and then. could just hire a kia carnival 7 seater or something for that odd event. same time as pick them up from the airport. lot cheaper for time they are likely here anyways vs the 10000's will cost not only in outlay to purchase but deprecation every year plus fuel chewed through and such ? maybe a though. that ways yourselves can actually down size to something more appropriate now kids grown up likely getting them selves around ? anyways only yourselves know what need ! but it sounds like its just getting bigger and bigger by the day :D  

36 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

:no:. 7 People means at least 130 KG extra load and they have the same engine,transmission and suspension, as the 5 seat models, so everything is worse. Not to mention the fact that when 7 seats are (occasionally ) in play you will have fcuk all boot space when you need it most

. Like others here I have owned several Mazda 3's with young children and never had any issues at all. Dunno what you are carrying since AFAIK your "kids" are adults with their own life and not with you and your wife always.

Does your wife want to become an Uber driver to take people to the airport or is she planning on being a soccer coach?:)

Edited by rantan

small to medium sedans are being slowly killed by CX3 or CX5 replacements, called for by american markets, we do not need the same as the americans think we do.

8 hours ago, Batty said:

small to medium sedans are being slowly killed by CX3 or CX5 replacements, called for by american markets, we do not need the same as the americans think we do.

Once apon a time most Car manufacturers had station wagons, where are they now?  We haven’t been “forced “ by the American markets, it’s global,  everyone wanted smaller roomier cars as fuel prices rises.  Take the commodore wagon that’s now on offer, nowhere near the size of the ones made here!  2ndly the boot space is reduced, by a lot.  Even the latest Mondeo has a reduced boot space, nowhere near the size of the 2011 I’m currently drive.  So out comes small cars that are now blown up in size so there in the SUV category,  this is so typical of the Mazda range and most manufacturers.  The 2003 Camry had room to spare,  big massive boot that was larger than the Commodore and falcon sedan, check the boot space now in the current range and you’d be lucky to fit a pram in, as one colleague said it just fits a tool bag in and that’s it!   Hence the reason why our organisation has gone to twin cab utes with a cover in the back. 

10 hours ago, betty boop said:

sorry am with batty. we have gone through couple of kids wiht prams and baby seats and what not. and two generation of mazda 3 as family car did us happily. never ever felt inadequate for space or room or luggage carrying.

I appreciate the folks visit and need the 7 seater troop carrier. but how often is that ? seems like a bit of a shame / luxury to be lugging a 7 seater load lugging beast around just for the folks visit ? every now and then. could just hire a kia carnival 7 seater or something for that odd event. same time as pick them up from the airport. lot cheaper for time they are likely here anyways vs the 10000's will cost not only in outlay to purchase but deprecation every year plus fuel chewed through and such ? maybe a though. that ways yourselves can actually down size to something more appropriate now kids grown up likely getting them selves around ? anyways only yourselves know what need ! but it sounds like its just getting bigger and bigger by the day :D  

Here are the prices I’m getting;

Mazda 3   Starts around $30k plus for the new range 

Mazda CX-5   $38k plus for the variant from the bottom to get alloy wheels.  

Honda CRV 1.5lt Turbo 5 seater $35k-36k 

subaru VX.  $32k plus 

subaru  Forester $38-46k   Only vehicle that comes with a full alloy wheel 

Toyota RV4 hybrid $46k plus  9-12mth waiting period,  no discount, period! 

Toyota RV4 2WD-4WD $33k -$53k.   Why would you want to pay $53k for a RAV4? 

Note; I can get the Subaru at huge discounted price drive away that would put what Mazda is asking for in there Mazda 3 range to shame.  

Now we all have heard how bland the VX is in road dynamics and how ugly it is,   but it has safety features that are not found in any of the other manufacturers as standard gear. The safety standards are throughout the Forester too.

The Honda CRV 2WD is absolute value,  it has the biggest boot space out of the lot here,  Superb fuel efficiency for a turbo,  even if I take any of the list above,  I will be doing better in fuel efficiency than a 2003 Camry.  The list above starts from 4 something for the RAV4 Hybrid to 8lt/100km...   

check the pics below, from the CRV to the Forester

BTW the boss would love a 7 seater but she doesn’t want one, it’s a family friend that made that comment on the 7 seater as she owns a Mazda 3.    Her partner is about to import his son from an earlier marriage, so theres 2 kids, ones a toddler  a partner and Mom and dad,   Total 6 people. 

The Honda CRV has a 600kg payload, the Mitsubishi Outlander has 700kg.   Adults here are not sumo wrestlers 😁 all less than 80kg,  this is gonna be way inside the weight capacity of these vehicles, fill all 7 seats and you will not have boot space,  the last 2 seats are in the boot area of a 5 seat variant.... no surprises here!  

FADC4C1F-DAC0-43A8-AE5B-86DCC618F572.jpeg

5FFEB6B1-2147-4EF7-AB30-2B6C2D6B395D.jpeg

Edited by Addicted to music

CX3 starts at $25k and the 2 at $18k

Edited by Batty

just some word of caution.... treat those fuel economy stickers with appropriate caution :D

especially smaller engined cars .... even turboed I can tell you loaded up you won't be doing any ways near their fuel economy. its criminal they put stickers on that they do. only two cars I've had coming near the claims have been fiat 500 ... that thing was unbelievable and not turboed just tiny engine and weighed nothing and it was mostly just me in the car. and same with the bmws m140i only uses 1.6L/100 more than the fiat ! but that things got all sorts like regenerative braking and idles at crazy 600 rpm and crusies at 1200 -1400 rpm or coasts at idle !  on the hwy freeway with people on it not making much different but its a bigger 3L turbo engine. 

re safety i would be very surprised you can't get similar on all models. subaru isight is good and was leading few years ago but all makers similar. might have to option up safety in some cases which I know seems crazy ! 

thank good ness not looking at 7 seater :D 

Yes, well aware of fuel consumption on small vehicles, and the more you load them the thirsty it gets....  The Honda CRV 1.5lt turbo was indicating average 8.3lt/100km on the display, the Forester was 8.9/100.   Use to get better fuel efficiency in a commodore wagon that’s fully loaded than some loan 4 cylinder something...    However with start/stop breaking i believe the Mazda 3 not the current new one will get you 600-700km out of a full tank that’s 50lts.     The Mitsubishi oOutlander was also averaging with that with 6 on board, but that’s travelling to Grampians and back. 

The Honda has a blind spot camera on each mirror,  to view that area you need to look into the 8inch display that takes your eyes off the road onto the centre console, all the others blink with a yellow amber LED on the mirror itself,  much prefer this than the Honda solution.    Pretty sure that even with all the safety in place, the boss will asked to turn most off as some are really annoying.....🤔   That’s why I’m looking at cost of the entire range and possible decide on the cheaper version.   She already indicated that the sunroof is out!   😱    That’s because  we drove the top of the line Forester and it comes standard with one!   

5 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Mazda 3   Starts around $30k plus for the new range 

Mazda CX-5   $38k plus for the variant from the bottom to get alloy wheels.  

Honda CRV 1.5lt Turbo 5 seater $35k-36k 

subaru VX.  $32k plus 

subaru  Forester $38-46k   Only vehicle that comes with a full alloy wheel 

Toyota RV4 hybrid $46k plus  9-12mth waiting period,  no discount, period! 

Toyota RV4 2WD-4WD $33k -$53k.   Why would you want to pay $53k for a RAV4?

One factor that may or may not be important to you is that the Forester could be the most capable off-road in that list. Just another consideration. 

20 minutes ago, LHC said:

One factor that may or may not be important to you is that the Forester could be the most capable off-road in that list. Just another consideration. 

It is,  the boss loves going to the snow!  

As indicated b4 I can get the Premium Forester  at $44k way under $40k and that goes for any stubbie.   Yesterday these guys were ready to go down low, very low, I was asked at what figure to stop me from trialing out other models.......even though it was discounted a few G. 

None of the other competitors have gone to this level.    Honda wasn’t budging yesterday for CRV and Toyota stubbornness to current market forces are constantly loosing sales,  The rep tells me they have to see real orders with decent deposits b4 Toyota Australia Orders them of the production line.  He has to sell 16 vehicles a mth, and he’s struggling, all his colleagues are struggling in the showroom he works at.

Also what  they don’t know is that my brother works for the Subaru importers and I’m waiting to hear back from him....  Both brothers have Foresters.... one is over 10yrs old..   The only way to trial out a sample is to go to a dealer, and it may even be these guys  to buy off if we decide to go for this.....

Edited by Addicted to music

Just to add to the Subaru love we just picked up a new outback. I get to drive new cars all the time and have done so for a looong time. Current crop range from the new and previous commodore, hybrid Camry, the large Hyundai sedan, vw’s etc. I can say in my experience the subie is one of the best made and finished cars of the lot of them. Some are faster, some have euro feel about them, some more expensive, some cheap and cheerful Korean made, some now made in europe for Aus conditions, the subie just seems to do it all right.

The GLW and I went to look at some cars for her yesterday. More just to see what she might like than anything else.  No preconceptions about what she wanted or liked. It was just a look and sit in day and no test drives. One thing I’ve learnt about wives, you can’t put them in a car, they need choose the one they like.

We looked at the Toyota CH-R, loved the look but small and plastics inside and a massive blind area across the whole back. The Honda HR-V, better than the Toyota but pretty plasticy and a ridiculously small centre console. No apple car play and auto braking only from 30kph and lower.

Checked out the civic and corolla range, not interested in the smaller variants.

Mazda cx3 was okay but small and dinky which is no surprise given it’s on a Mazda 2 platform.

Next was Subaru, again no pre conceptions, in fact I didn’t even tell her what they had. The XV was a whole lot better in quality than the Honda or Toyota but lost big points as the boot space is a fair bit smaller than it’s donor car the Impreza.  Most of the safety kit of the bigger cousins and better than the other brands.  Overall the XV would have been her choice but in the end decided that nothing really wowed her. I felt the same and was surprised at pricing with the XV priced nearly to Outback level for a much smaller car for what you got.

It was an interesting experiment. I had zero input and came up with the same conclusions myself. The most important one being - don’t buy the partner what you think you want, get them what they want. 

Surprisingly I was blown away by the price of the Subaru Outback, it starts at $41k 

https://www.subaru.com.au/build-your-own/build/variants?model=Outback

Yeah, because a close family friend had a XV and they love it to bits she wants one until you look at the boot space.... 

in the showroom she was also looking and commenting how big the Forester was and said the VX was the one she wants, then took a look at the boot in the.XV  again and the want factor disappeared!  

It was the same for the Mazda Cx3 and the 3 hence the reason for the Cx5....