Addicted to music

Toyota, Mazda or Subaru?

We are looking into a new vehicle for the Boss...    Her old 2003 Camry Sportivo that she bought brand new and still drives around has not had an issue at around 140K apart from replacing the gasket at 80K. This will be given to my daughter who got her license a month ago and to boast her confidence up we need to give her this car instead of looking at the 2nd hand market.

We are looking at:

Camry hybrid or 6 cylinder 

Mazda 3, 6 or CX3 or CX5 

any model Subaru.

Price up to under 38K drive away.  Not looking at fully issued options but the Skyactive turbo on the Mazda CX5 is an eye candy for me.   Wanna know any thoughts, experiences, on reliability issues, warranty claims, drivability in terms of road dynamics etc  

If you intend to keep the car for nearly 20 years again I would go for the Camry, because i have a friend who owns 2 including a hybrid and he intends to keep both for 20 years and have possible 500k (like his previous cars)  on each and knowing how tight he is  with money he makes sure that his cars last and how much they will cost over that period.

The Mazda i have had two 3 series and a CX7 in the past and currently have a BT50, can’t fault any of them.But never kept them more than 4 years and high 100k. 

Subaru i see is just plane quirky but never owned one.

Wife currently has a Nissan X Trail which is 3 and half years old and just over 100k with no problems and would highly recommend it.Having owned 4 different Nissans with not one problem.

Posted (edited)

The wife and I both have 13 year old mazda 3s, mine is the maxx sport manual and hers the SP23 auto, apart from servicing the only costs have been light bulbs (2) and new batteries at the 5 year point.

Great, reliable and comfortable cars.

Being 2006 they are a bit thirsty, mine does around 7.5 l/100km, Christine's is a lot worse at 12l/100km because it is non stardard with an engine tune, cold air intake, larger exhaust and on top of that has been lowered (she is a hoon). Goes well though.

Edited by Batty

I'd look at vw golf as well. Have owned mine since new. Now at 220 thousand km.

32 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

replacing the gasket at 80K.

head gasket?      Something about Toyotas and me, but the couple we have had over the years all had head gasket problems.   I like Mazdas, but the most reliable I have had are Hyundai.    I would get an i30 again any day.  Only sold the last one to get something bigger to tow a van.

16 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

head gasket?      Something about Toyotas and me, but the couple we have had over the years all had head gasket problems.   I like Mazdas, but the most reliable I have had are Hyundai.    I would get an i30 again any day.  Only sold the last one to get something bigger to tow a van.

Sounds like the gaskets they used don’t last forever,  we were quoted $750 and a few days In the workshop, because we were keeping the car we decided to go ahead with it...   we also had to get the front passenger side window replaced and Toyota won’t come to the party in replacing the tinting and it seems like a manufacturing error where I’ve seen many do the same on the exact window for that series Camry.     Might actually consider the Hyundai in that mix, but it’ll be her that makes the ultimate decision...

34 minutes ago, Batty said:

The wife and I both have 13 year old mazda 3s, mine is the maxx sport manual and hers the SP23 auto, apart from servicing the only costs have been light bulbs (2) and new batteries at the 5 year point.

Great, reliable and comfortable cars.

Being 2006 they are a bit thirsty, mine does around 7.5 l/100km, Christine's is a lot worse at 12l/100km because it is non stardard with an engine tune, cold air intake, larger exhaust and on top of that has been lowered (she is a hoon). Goes well though.

Mazda has a sale on atm, so we’ll see what’s on offer.....

Kia or Hyundai?

1 hour ago, niss_man said:

I'd look at vw golf as well. Have owned mine since new. Now at 220 thousand km.

VW Polo GTI is a lot of car for the money to consider. Would be close to what you  are looking to spend and don't be put of thinking Polo is small, they have grown a lot in size....... best of luck...:thumb:..... oh, and if you were ever to drive it.......😀

A friend bought a CX5, a really impressive car.

Good on fuel and drives really nicely.

The comfort and finish is excellent, and for colour the Mazda Soul Red is probably one of the nicest colours out there.

If you want substance over style then Subaru is the go. Engineering department has more say than marketing. Can be quirky and AWD does mean extra drivetrain friction so may not be as fuel efficient as others which are basically switched to AWD when required. 

CAVEAT I haven’t looked at any recently but we have had 7 Subies in the family with no major issues 

The red Mazda color of the last 2 years is awesome though. I’m thinking of getting my bike custom painted with that red

Posted (edited)

+500 for Mazda.

I have owned at least 5 Mazda vehicles over the years and I never had even one minor problem with any of them. They included a 929, Mazda 2&3. CX-5 and a 6MPS turbo.

I apologise to anybody who this may offend, but anything except Suburu. They were OK in the past but are now for grey cardigan hat wearers and are the equivalent of motorised Vallium, without the fun.

I traded my 150,000KM CX-5 earlier this year and it was just fantastic. I almost bought another, but in the end I went with a Kia Cerato GT 1.6 turbo with dual clutch transmission.

:party Woohoo!

Edited by rantan

Another vote for Mazda 3.

My original one (2006) I sold to my neighbour and its still going strong with no issues.

I bought another new one in 2016 and its a great car, well built feels solid. I reckon they are good value.

I've driven extensively in all three brands (+ Honda) and would be hard pressed to choose between them, except if one particularly matched my needs and preferences.

If I was interested in that market segment now I would certainly consider one of the Korean makes as well.

I say: drive 'em all and pick the one that the boss likes best.😀

1 hour ago, rantan said:

dual clutch transmission.

That's turning up in all types of vehicles these days.  Drives like an auto, but really a dual clutch/gearbox manual operated automatically by the computer.  I like it actually.