Sign in to follow this  
markm1111

Franken Stabi?

Hi all

I have been a bit inspired by @andyr 's SkeletaLinn to try to put together some bits and pieces for a second TT. In searching around online, I found some references to a Kuzma Stabi S that had its motor, spindle and sub platter replaced with Linn LP12 parts, among others. It was a high end attempt to improve though, so not quite the budget approach where I am heading. I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible and still get reasonable sound for a family room system occasional listening.

I have a Kuzma Stabi S, fitted with two tonearms. This left me with two spare pieces to form another T-Bar Stabi base, albeit to suit a 12" arm. This is very stable, so a good starting point I thought. I have Kuzma, Rega, and Linn/Jelco armboards for it. Finally, I have a spare Garrott P771 cartridge, and couple of reasonable spare phone stages. I would only need a motor, belt, spindle, sub platter, platter and tonearm.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should look for?

LP12 upgrade parts I have seen are reasonably expensive, but I couldn't find any original second hand parts. The motor has me a bit stumped I need to figure out what to use and how to mount it. Finally, a cheap 12" arm may prove elusive, but I have my fingers crossed.

All thoughts welcome

Have you looked at the Origin Live replacement motors? or possibly just go with the old trusty Rega 24V motor..... heaps of control options out there?

I am sure I have also seen a motor, similar to an Acoustic Solid), that would be separate and programmable option, but I cant find the links.

Have you looked at the Origin Live replacement motors? or possibly just go with the old trusty Rega 24V motor..... heaps of control options out there?

I am sure I have also seen a motor, similar to an Acoustic Solid), that would be separate and programmable option, but I cant find the links.

Thanks Gijo. It’s proving much more costly than I expected to pull these parts together. The motors you suggested, while definitely up to the task, are all incrementally higher priced than the original Linn ones second hand. I suspect I will just have to be very patient and accumulate parts over time.

I've done calculation on this multiple times. Unless you find the parts used it's much cheaper to get a complete good turntable and strip for parts and make a custom turntable.

On 24/08/2019 at 8:28 AM, mloutfie said:

I've done calculation on this multiple times. Unless you find the parts used it's much cheaper to get a complete good turntable and strip for parts and make a custom turntable.

I should have known it wouldn't be as simple as I thought. Thanks fro confirming what I had come around to as well.