Sign in to follow this  
powerinnumbers

How to achieve ATMOS with a terrible roof line

On 15/08/2019 at 9:04 AM, powerinnumbers said:

Yes I do, but it was probably overstated too, it might be 1.8 m . It would look silly in my opinion that the speakers are inside the width of the seating. 

Draw a top-down layout (ignore the roof rake) of the room .... showing where the speakers will go .... and we can tell you what's up.

If any of the speakers are going to be on an angled roof surface, then adjustable angle tweeters is almost essential.

On 21/08/2019 at 8:22 AM, Mobe1969 said:

and either leaving an open cavity behind, or doing a half baked enclosure, just didn't make sense.

You can also buy ones which don't compromise.

On 15/08/2019 at 9:05 AM, powerinnumbers said:

If the left speakers were in the rake so that they were 3 or 400mm lower than the right side, it would be ok?

The issue is not so much the different distance to your ear ... but the speakers pointed in different directions.    If one is on an angled roof, and the other is on a flat roof .... then that's not the best.

14 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Draw a top-down layout (ignore the roof rake) of the room .... showing where the speakers will go .... and we can tell you what's up

imagine a square 4m wide room, a 5 m deep room. I'll only have room for rear channels that point from a 45 deg behind, so I don't think I will be able to have 7.1.4, we'll prob go with 5.1.4

( im no good at drawing )

It isn't the 45 degree angle that I'm so worried about.... it's just the overall room dimensions.   It seems unlikely you'll be able to fit 7 channels or 4 atmos and follow the guide closely.     I'd be thinking 5.1.2 tops.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/7.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.pdf

If you cannot follow the dolby guide closely (angles and relative distances), then you will get better performance dropping back to less speakers that are setup more closely in line with the guides.

On 06/09/2019 at 11:23 AM, davewantsmoore said:

I'd be thinking 5.1.2 tops.

I'm thinking 5.1.4 actually. I've taken a new approach ( thought bubble ) and believe I can manage 4 ATMOS bookshelf speakers with 2 mounted to the rear wall pointing down and at an angle approximately 1600mm behind the listening position.  The other 2 the same distance in front and same angles, all I have to do is mount the left front into the raked ceiling and make it tidy, they would all be at the same height since I can mount to the right hand side wall down from the very high ceiling that side.

If I am to do this, i would do in stages since i don't have a capable pre-pro for ATMOS yet, only have a 7.1 pre-pro

Would the rear height speakers in my example also be able to double as rear center surrounds in a 7.1 system? I think it would. That would allow me time to save for a proper pre-pro and the second pair of heights. 

The speakers I was thinking of are KEF Q150 or 350 ? Thoughts? My existing speakers in 5.1 are all VAF towers.

Edited by powerinnumbers

If you are to rear wall mount some height speakers have a look/consider the Dali Alteco C1.

Currently I have these mounted on the rear wall and switched to downfiring, obtained a pretty good atmos effect with this (5.1.2) and the direct sound is certainly better than ceiling bouncing it.  My lounge is almost against the rear wall (currently anyway - to be amended when we move)

Just a thought

On 14/08/2019 at 11:49 PM, powerinnumbers said:

Imagine this

From the main seating area ( only 3 chairs wide ) I look up and I have a raked ceiling on the left that goes from 2.1 mtrs to 2.7 mtrs.

I am wondering if worth posting a pic or two of the room, not sure where got to but I recently saw a sloped raked ceiling setup and atmos in  this worked